Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So 4 and a half months after ordering I took delivery of my e-Dispatch XL Enterprise yesterday. This was a month later than I was told to expect but the dealer was kind enough to loan me a diesel dispatch for the last month as I was without a vehicle having already sold my env200 back in December and the lease on my personal car ending in March.

Wasting no time I took it straight out on a 130 mile journey, split approximately 90 motorway miles, 20 dual carriageway (50mph limit) miles and 20 stop/start town miles. I started the journey with 100% battery. The weather was dry, with the temperature starting at around 8c and dropping to around 4c. I had planned to do this journey in eco mode but I soon found out that the heating was useless in eco mode and being a bit chilly I needed the heating on so stuck to comfort mode.

The journey started with approx 45 motorway miles which I kept to a steady 62-65mph (I did find that I crept up to 70mph a couple of times without noticing) and I averaged around 2.2 miles per kw. This was then followed by 10 miles at 50mph and the average miles per kw increased to around 2.5 and then 10 miles of stop start driving in town and the average miles per kw increased to 2.7. I then completed the return journey and arrived home with exactly 25% battery remaining (this was according to the guage, I'm not sure if there's a digital read out of the battery percentange anywhere) and 38 miles of range - I can't remember what the final miles per kw was for the entire journey but I think it was 2.5 or 2.6. So on the basis of there being around 25% battery remaining, in those conditions I would have got approx 175 miles out of a full charge.

I then took it on a 2nd shorter journey today to try and replicate a more typical everyday journey rather than a heavily dominated motorway journey. It was a little warmer at around 10c and I didn't need the heating so this journey was done in eco mode. The total journey was 39 miles and this was split approx 10 motorway miles @ 62-65mph, 4 start/stop town miles and 25 a-road miles, sticking to speed limits ranging from 30mph to 50mph. The overall miles per kw was 3.2 and I completed the journey with 80% battery and a remaining range of 175 miles. Depending if you want to go off the remaining battery or indicated range, this would have given me an overall range in those conditions of 195-215miles on a full charge.

It's early days but both journeys have proved fairly encouraging in terms of range. Very roughly I think I can expect 135/140 100% motorway miles in winter, up to 170/175 miles in summer and 180 to 220 town miles, and of course somewhere in between for mixed journeys.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
So 4 and a half months after ordering I took delivery of my e-Dispatch XL Enterprise yesterday. This was a month later than I was told to expect but the dealer was kind enough to loan me a diesel dispatch for the last month as I was without a vehicle having already sold my env200 back in December and the lease on my personal car ending in March.

Wasting no time I took it straight out on a 130 mile journey, split approximately 90 motorway miles, 20 dual carriageway (50mph limit) miles and 20 stop/start town miles. I started the journey with 100% battery. The weather was dry, with the temperature starting at around 8c and dropping to around 4c. I had planned to do this journey in eco mode but I soon found out that the heating was useless in eco mode and being a bit chilly I needed the heating on so stuck to comfort mode.

The journey started with approx 45 motorway miles which I kept to a steady 62-65mph (I did find that I crept up to 70mph a couple of times without noticing) and I averaged around 2.2 miles per kw. This was then followed by 10 miles at 50mph and the average miles per kw increased to around 2.5 and then 10 miles of stop start driving in town and the average miles per kw increased to 2.7. I then completed the return journey and arrived home with exactly 25% battery remaining (this was according to the guage, I'm not sure if there's a digital read out of the battery percentange anywhere) and 38 miles of range - I can't remember what the final miles per kw was for the entire journey but I think it was 2.5 or 2.6. So on the basis of there being around 25% battery remaining, in those conditions I would have got approx 175 miles out of a full charge.

I then took it on a 2nd shorter journey today to try and replicate a more typical everyday journey rather than a heavily dominated motorway journey. It was a little warmer at around 10c and I didn't need the heating so this journey was done in eco mode. The total journey was 39 miles and this was split approx 10 motorway miles @ 62-65mph, 4 start/stop town miles and 25 a-road miles, sticking to speed limits ranging from 30mph to 50mph. The overall miles per kw was 3.2 and I completed the journey with 80% battery and a remaining range of 175 miles. Depending if you want to go off the remaining battery or indicated range, this would have given me an overall range in those conditions of 195-215miles on a full charge.

It's early days but both journeys have proved fairly encouraging in terms of range. Very roughly I think I can expect 135/140 100% motorway miles in winter, up to 170/175 miles in summer and 180 to 220 town miles, and of course somewhere in between for mixed journeys.
Good to read about proper day to day use thanks, you didn't mention it but I assume your dispatch XL is the 75kwh version?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have an e-expert 75kwh. Averaging 2.4 miles/kWh over the last 150 miles. Mainly driving around back roads to and from a farm where I work. There is a massive hill to get back to my flat so I guess that will have something to do with the low average. Hoping to charge back up tomorrow and reset the counter to see if I can do better.

·
Registered
18 Posts

That's good to know, thanks. I ordered my e-expert (H2 75kWh crew cab) back in Feb and was told that it wouldn't be ready until September! Hoping the four and a half month lead time might apply to me too though. The salesman didn't seem to know a whole lot about any of it. Though he did try and talk me out of buying it, 'not this year' was his opinion, I heard the same thing 5 years ago when I bought my e-nv200! So strange. Anyway, I digress, that's reassuring on the range front, thanks for posting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yea, it's the 75kwh.
Have you been using the B mode for regen? I have been using it every time I use the van. Today I didn’t bother and I noticed it got better mileage. I guess that makes sense as coasting will use less power than slowing down via regen every time I lift the throttle. I will investigate more as I’m slightly disappointed in my long term average so far of 2.2 miles/kw

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you been using the B mode for regen? I have been using it every time I use the van. Today I didn’t bother and I noticed it got better mileage. I guess that makes sense as coasting will use less power than slowing down via regen every time I lift the throttle. I will investigate more as I’m slightly disappointed in my long term average so far of 2.2 miles/kw
I've only used b mode a couple of times very briefly, mostly I stick to D mode.

How does regen work in regards to miles per kwh? Does the energy you've regenerated go back into the calculation and boost your m/kwh? If not then it might be skewing the results slightly and you could see a higher m/kwh without B mode however that might not result in any better range.

I've done another trip the last few days of just my every day driving (a mix of everything) - I've done around 50 miles and when I pulled into my drive last night the m/kwh had just dropped to 2.9 from 3. I would say I'm driving fairly carefully - not slow but just not flooring it to get up to speed, just gradually accelerating.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Averaging 2.7 over the last 40 miles. Thats mainly in D mode. I sometimes flick it into B mode in town or just for a second or two during a slow down. Otherwise the advice seems to be coast as much as you can without using brakes.

My long term average is around 2.2 but that includes my trip up from Manchester to central Scotland.

Does anyone know the usable capacity of the 75kwh battery? My guess is 65kwh.

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
537 Posts
The e-Dispatch has the same internal gubbins as all the other PSA Group EVs such as the e-208/e2008 and the Corsa-e/Mokka-e. Even in D mode there is some, but not much, regen. In B mode, the regen is significantly higher and you can almost use one-pedal driving.

When regenerating, the power is sent back to charge the battery and the miles/kWh figure will show the difference by increasing, assuming there is enough regen overall. This is best seen when starting a journey as the miles/kWh will show a figure after the first quarter mile or so and then if you use some regen immediately, you can see the figure increase.

I guess that makes sense as coasting will use less power than slowing down via regen every time I lift the throttle.
I think you may have that wrong. Using regen doesn't use power, it "regenerates" power back to the battery. However, there is a noticeable difference when driving in B mode as opposed to D mode. I find that I use D mode all the time except when slowing down. That's when I flip it into B mode to get the better regen. I use B mode like I used to use gears to change down when using engine assisted braking in an ICE car.

You can usually feel the difference if you drive off in B mode and cruise steadily with your right foot gently on the accellerator... now shift it into D mode and you will feel as though there has been some drag removed as the car will perceptivly accelerate a fraction even though you have not moved your right foot. That tells me that there is some resistive force while the car is in B mode and so I only use that extra force when slowing down. I'm pretty sure it is the same with the e-Dispatch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The e-Dispatch has the same internal gubbins as all the other PSA Group EVs such as the e-208/e2008 and the Corsa-e/Mokka-e. Even in D mode there is some, but not much, regen. In B mode, the regen is significantly higher and you can almost use one-pedal driving.

When regenerating, the power is sent back to charge the battery and the miles/kWh figure will show the difference by increasing, assuming there is enough regen overall. This is best seen when starting a journey as the miles/kWh will show a figure after the first quarter mile or so and then if you use some regen immediately, you can see the figure increase.

I think you may have that wrong. Using regen doesn't use power, it "regenerates" power back to the battery. However, there is a noticeable difference when driving in B mode as opposed to D mode. I find that I use D mode all the time except when slowing down. That's when I flip it into B mode to get the better regen. I use B mode like I used to use gears to change down when using engine assisted braking in an ICE car.

You can usually feel the difference if you drive off in B mode and cruise steadily with your right foot gently on the accellerator... now shift it into D mode and you will feel as though there has been some drag removed as the car will perceptivly accelerate a fraction even though you have not moved your right foot. That tells me that there is some resistive force while the car is in B mode and so I only use that extra force when slowing down. I'm pretty sure it is the same with the e-Dispatch.
I would agree. I didn’t mean to say the regen uses power. I know it charges the battery. It like you said there is noticeable drag when running in b mode. Just like it is looking for excuses to start using regen at the slightest lift of the acceleration pedal. I also use b mode like you say, only engaging when coming up to junctions and such, it’s quite a bit of fun trying to not use the brakes at all. I can’t help thinking a flappy paddle would be a good control for this, maybe even not just on or off but controllable depending on how hard you squeeze. I think some car also do this.

I am also finding that I can better cruise control miles with the b mode off. Funny it even appears to effect range then

·
Registered
191 Posts
Does anyone had real world figures for the 50 kWh version. Currently looking for a replacement for my ICE vehicle for which the lease runs out March 2022. Everything seems to have delays so want to order early. I have a florist so doing lots of local deliveries around town and into surrounding villages. Average daily mileage I would imagine about 100 miles but sometime lot less. We also run a new Renault Zoe van but this is not big enough for large floral displays. Have driven ENV200 before but now getting a little long in the tooth

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
537 Posts
Does anyone had real world figures for the 50 kWh version. Currently looking for a replacement for my ICE vehicle for which the lease runs out March 2022. Everything seems to have delays so want to order early. I have a florist so doing lots of local deliveries around town and into surrounding villages. Average daily mileage I would imagine about 100 miles but sometime lot less. We also run a new Renault Zoe van but this is not big enough for large floral displays. Have driven ENV200 before but now getting a little long in the tooth
I don't know how much extra weight the e-Dispatch carries over the car version such as the e-208/e-2008 or Corsa-e/Mokka-e as that will have an effect on the overall range. Add any heavy loads on top of that and again, your range will be affected. However, in the current warm weather with temperatures over 20 deg C, driving around town in stop-start traffic I can easily achieve well over 5 miles/kWh which would give an effective range of ~235 miles from 100% to 0% SoC. Even assuming you start the day at 95% (so you have some regen available) and go down to say, 15%, with that efficiency I would expect ~190 miles range around town. Assuming the van is heavier than the car and you have an extra load on board, reducing that efficiency by a very conservative 20%, you'd still have a range of ~150 miles on a single charge. More than enough for your possible 100 mile daily average.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts