Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Lovely gesture, but my other half who is presently a frontline ICU doctor suggests that people save their applause for when the job is done and dusted.
Let's not fall into complacency before the real battle commences over the following weeks.
Without wanting to sound boring, her opinion was that people would be far better served with "regularly washing their hands and social distancing" than offering up applause before they've really earned their corn.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I see both sides of it. Its nice, very encouraging, and my nursing colleagues in ICU have had their spirits greatly lifted by it. Lots of emotional posts from them last night on social media.

But the more important thing people can do is stop applauding in the street, get their arses back inside and stay there.

Clap out the window next time!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agree, for me it was hopefully a sign just how important the NHS is to the population - certainly my friends in the NHS have felt mentally battered and bruised after years of underfunding and the election result in December and almost like the population doesn’t care about the NHS, the outpouring of support hopefully shows that isn’t true - and send the message that we want our NHS to survive

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I've been reading the news and this forum (and others) several times a day lately and the first I heard of this was about 8:30 last night :oops:
Was it a facetwit thing?

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been reading the news and this forum (and others) several times a day lately and the first I heard of this was about 8:30 last night :oops:
Was it a facetwit thing?
Not completely sure, I was first sent it by text but then saw it on Twitter/Facebook - even more impressive how well it was picked up on (you could hear it echo across the town where I live)

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
Was it a facetwit thing?
yup - a social media thing mainly

it’s sometimes a good thing but mainly a vehicle for crap and misinformation

JJ

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I see both sides of it. Its nice, very encouraging, and my nursing colleagues in ICU have had their spirits greatly lifted by it. Lots of emotional posts from them last night on social media.

But the more important thing people can do is stop applauding in the street, get their arses back inside and stay there.

Clap out the window next time!
Our windows here don't open as the Italian, Spanish, or French ones do. Some do, but most are not practical.

In our street, a good half of the street were out last night clapping, but all kept their distances, and most were wearing a coat. I think people here at least understood that a show of appreciation should not become extra pressure by people getting ill from it (either from a virus or just from getting cold).

My thanks to everyone involved in our health who keep on working and helping.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts