Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I didn't think the I8 had rapid charging compatibility - so presumably he is using the RC to "slow charge" ? I can see him spinning the line about charging taking hours :confused:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Looks like he's done a review for the Sunday Times.

"I do not believe that the solution to our energy crisis is to be found by developing a car that has a normal petrol engine as well as an electric motor that has to be powered by an extremely heavy bank of batteries."

http://www.driving.co.uk/car-reviews/the-clarkson-review-bmw-i8-2014/

Don't let my little snippet fool you - he actually quite likes it!

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Looks like he's done a review for the Sunday Times.

"I do not believe that the solution to our energy crisis is to be found by developing a car that has a normal petrol engine as well as an electric motor that has to be powered by an extremely heavy bank of batteries."

http://www.driving.co.uk/car-reviews/the-clarkson-review-bmw-i8-2014/

Don't let my little snippet fool you - he actually quite likes it!
He needn't worry, eventually they'll remove the ICE so it'll be much better.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Nice looking car, and nice to see new technology improving driveability and economy. However I am concerned at the use of rapid chargers at low power output when they are a scarce resource.

The BMW will pull 7.4 kW tops, on a charger capable of 50kW. That's such a waste. This is a big issue for the current rapids with type 2 (which then locks out the DC side) - more and more plugin hybrids will be using those rapids (quite reasonably as far as the owners are concerned)

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Oh Jeremy :rolleyes:
About 20 years ago he predicted the demise of diesel (just before diesel became increadibly popular) with the line (something like) "In 5 years time the old things using diesel will be tractors".

So he has a good track record...

Edit: pretty sure this isn't the exact article I was thinking of, but it's close enough: http://www.topgear.com/uk/jeremy-clarkson/clarkson-diesel-11-1993
(Look, 11-1993, about 20 years ago! Gotta love the Internet!)

·
Super Moderator
7,505 Posts
WE ARE too dependent on oil. Everybody knows that. And everybody knows the long-term solution is h̶y̶d̶r̶o̶g̶e̶n̶ oil
Fixed that for ya ;)

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Seen that car before...

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
the more I look at it, the more stunning it looks. But I still can't understand how it only manages 60mpg, and it's still 100k - I'd much prefer a Tesla.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
It's performance does not seem to be as good as the top range Tesla's either, despite the latter being a much larger car.
I'm sure BMW will sell all they can make though.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
He's right though about hydrogen. Just verrrrrrrry long term.
Very true. In 4 billion years a buttload of Hydrogen will indeed be Earth's last solution

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
It's performance does not seem to be as good as the top range Tesla's either, despite the latter being a much larger car.
I'm sure BMW will sell all they can make though.
I've wrung the neck of both this week. I couldn't perceive a difference in straight line acceleration. The i8 is on another planet on a road with bends in it though. Very nervous about getting a Model S to even to 60 on a twisty b-road - too much heft and too soft. No such worries in the i8 - it's a car to which you can really give a good going over.

But that outcome isn't unexpected given the objectives of either vehicle. I didn't quite realise how limited the bootspace in the i8 is though - a Honda Pan European has more!

·
Registered
137 Posts
The i8 is on another planet on a road with bends in it. Very nervous about getting a Model S to even to 60 on a twisty b-road - too much heft and too soft. No such worries in the i8 - it's a car to which you can really give a good going over. But that outcome isn't unexpected given the objectives of either vehicle. I didn't quite realise how limited the bootspace in the i8 is though!
Folks, come to Great Malvern (WR14 3DS) Sunday 21st for 12:00noon and see it for yourself & maybe book a test drive?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts