Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last few months, I've been noticing a slight "clattering" from the front passenger side (right hand drive) and decided that I should do something about it before the extended warranty runs out in a few weeks. This noise was more noticeable while going around a right hand corner and hitting a bump but could be heard slightly over any bumpy surface. One of the drawbacks of driving a quiet car is hearing everything, or maybe that's an advantage??? Who knows?

So this morning I had an appointment with my local Nissan garage (Middlehurst, St. Helens) for them to diagnose the problem and if it was covered under warranty, then get it repaired. They warned me that if it was a not a warranty issue, then I would be charged £75 per hour + VAT for the diagnosis, but I thought I'd roll the dice and see what happens. If it's a warranty thing, then I don't pay a thing.

About 30 minuted ago, I got a phone call to let me know that they had found the problem and it is covered under warranty. It turns out that it was the lower ball joint that had excessive play and they are fitting a new wishbone as I type. The strange thing is that the wishbone is covered under warranty but the wheel alignment after fitting isn't and I have to pay £35 for that. No big deal and probably worth it, but it's strange that I have to pay for the alignment that has to be done after fitting a part that is covered under warranty. Oh well. It is what it is I suppose.

On another note... I'n now wondering about the MOT station that passed the car two weeks ago. In the testers own words "it passed with flying colours. That car is perfect"! I wonder how they missed something as simple as a ball joint?

At the end of the day it's probably worked out better for the Nissan garage to do the work. If it had failed MOT and I'd taken it to a mechanic the alignment would never have been done afterwards. They tend to fit parts and not bother with trivial things like the wheels heading in the right direction.

So I just thought I'd share that little story...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Over the last few months, I've been noticing a slight "clattering" from the front passenger side (right hand drive) and decided that I should do something about it before the extended warranty runs out in a few weeks. This noise was more noticeable while going around a right hand corner and hitting a bump but could be heard slightly over any bumpy surface. One of the drawbacks of driving a quiet car is hearing everything, or maybe that's an advantage??? Who knows?

So this morning I had an appointment with my local Nissan garage (Middlehurst, St. Helens) for them to diagnose the problem and if it was covered under warranty, then get it repaired. They warned me that if it was a not a warranty issue, then I would be charged £75 per hour + VAT for the diagnosis, but I thought I'd roll the dice and see what happens. If it's a warranty thing, then I don't pay a thing.

About 30 minuted ago, I got a phone call to let me know that they had found the problem and it is covered under warranty. It turns out that it was the lower ball joint that had excessive play and they are fitting a new wishbone as I type. The strange thing is that the wishbone is covered under warranty but the wheel alignment after fitting isn't and I have to pay £35 for that. No big deal and probably worth it, but it's strange that I have to pay for the alignment that has to be done after fitting a part that is covered under warranty. Oh well. It is what it is I suppose.

On another note... I'n now wondering about the MOT station that passed the car two weeks ago. In the testers own words "it passed with flying colours. That car is perfect"! I wonder how they missed something as simple as a ball joint?

At the end of the day it's probably worked out better for the Nissan garage to do the work. If it had failed MOT and I'd taken it to a mechanic the alignment would never have been done afterwards. They tend to fit parts and not bother with trivial things like the wheels heading in the right direction.

So I just thought I'd share that little story...
Sorry but I dont see this how can nissan return a car to you without setting the tracking correctly its BS Let them do it and refuse to pay !!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would have thought that the alignment was part of the job of fitting the new wishbone but apparently not. When I collect the car, I will be discussing it with them in person...

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would have thought that the alignment was part of the job of fitting the new wishbone but apparently not. When I collect the car, I will be discussing it with them in person...
They get a reduced rate when doing warranty repairs so they're trying to bilk you for a few extra quid.

If your alignment was not causing you issues before the replacement TCA was fitted then its the fitting of the new component that has altered it ( or quite possibly not altered it ) and should be covered as part of the warranty repair.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I picked up the car last night. I just paid the money so I could get back to work. Being away from my workshop was costing me more than I was paying them anyway.

The car now drives like a new one! Straight as an arrow and it feels firm and locked in. Even though I had to pay a few quid that I think shouldn't have had to pay, I'm still very happy with it. I'll not have the problem again because I'm not paying for the extended warranty and mine runs out in a week or so. Everything from now on will be done by me or one of my mechanic friends. That reminds me... It's due a service.....

·
Registered
96 Posts
in regards to the local mot garage missing it. Either it hadn't fully failed in that time or they didn't see it because they didn't take the wheels off to do a deep inspection. My local garage fixed a bearing on the strut at the passenger front and when I got the car back the bushing in the wishbone on the drivers side had perished. The was giving me bad torque steer, you have been lucky since both Nissan Altrincham and my local garage didn't seem able to find the fault. I ended up taking mine to Simon at the E garage in Poulton Le Fylde near Blackpool. He was great and the leaf is now driving fine again but it took me three weeks pretty much to get the car fully sorted from the original just knocking noise caused by the bearing on the strut mount.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes. I remember reading about yours because I also had a knock. Mine turned out to be the bottom ball joint, so IMHO the mot garage should definitely have found it if it was bad enough to make the noise.

Anyhow... All is good now and it's driving like a dream. Middlehust Nissan even called me yesterday to ask if everything was ok. Nice little touch.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I could scream, mine has started doing this will have to have a look at the weekend, could be the anti roll bar drop link. I will see later sounds off when you want to creep. Mine is 3.5 years old.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you covered under warranty? I got mine at four years old with a years extended warranty so I was pretty lucky that it started clattering about a month before that ran out. In fact it runs out on Saturday and I won't be renewing it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Mine passed the MOT today (45k miles 6 years old) but they say the suspension arm (wishbone) rubber bushes both sides are starting to crack or perish. They say new arms are needed err long as the bushes can’t be changed without the arms. Eurocarparts quote around £80 each side for non-Nissan parts. Anyone replaced these DIY? How hard to do? Any special tools needed? Realignment needed I guess.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Had mine done by egarage in poulton le fylde then got the wheels at front align on hunter system at kwik fit premier. The back has no adjustment so it really only a 2 wheel alignment. Needed new tyres anyway so the alignment came free.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I find it interesting that Eurocarparts stock 3 brands selling these non-Nissan wishbones. Must mean this is a common part with other models, as can’t believe there are enough Leafs out there to make it profitable for 3 firms plus Nissan to be making these spares just for Leafs.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I wonder if the "clak" noise I hear when I start reversing at home is related...
The manoeuvre is, I put the front of the car to the left and turn the steering completely the other way just before stopping, then reverse slowly until I get into the driveway.
It's when I start reversing that I hear that noise :unsure:

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It could just be the transmission changing from forward to reverse that you're hearing? If you drive forwards, stop, then select reverse there is a "click". That's completely normal.

In any transmission system there is going to be various noises due to play in different components etc. Because the Leaf is so quiet, we hear everything that would never be heard in an ICE car. Sometimes that's a good thing but sometimes it makes us paranoid about every little thing we hear. I find myself listening to everything. Even when the road surface changes, I'm thinking "what was that"? I should stick the radio on loud and relax!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I wonder if the "clak" noise I hear when I start reversing at home is related...
The manoeuvre is, I put the front of the car to the left and turn the steering completely the other way just before stopping, then reverse slowly until I get into the driveway.
It's when I start reversing that I hear that noise :unsure:
I got a noise under similar reversing conditions but found it was a scraping noise caused by the brake disc touching the stainless steel shim guiding one brake pad. I must have either put the shim back in slightly the wrong position when checking the pads or let some dirt get between the disc and the hub, causing it to run out of true. Now cleaned up and fixed. (Lots of rust on the discs because on an EV they don't wear much but do accumulate rust on the bits the pads don’t touch.)

As an aside I see in the manual is says never put it from forward into reverse or vice versa without stopping first as you can "lose control of the vehicle". Why? I always do it (not losing control I mean!)

·
Registered
85 Posts
In any transmission system there is going to be various noises due to play in different components etc. Because the Leaf is so quiet, we hear everything that would never be heard in an ICE car. Sometimes that's a good thing but sometimes it makes us paranoid about every little thing we hear.
To test the brake I had repaired yesterday was not rubbing I jacked up one front wheel and ran the car. Pressing the accelerator lightly causes all kinds of horrendous noises so I rapidly stopped the test! I guess the anti-skid is modulating the power to try to stop the one wheel going too fast. As power is modulated the backlash in the drive train judders. Don’t try this at home I suggest.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As an aside I see in the manual is says never put it from forward into reverse or vice versa without stopping first as you can "lose control of the vehicle". Why? I always do it (not losing control I mean!)
I do it from reverse to forward on a regular basis. I've done that in all of my cars, so it's sort of a habit. I did accidently hit the "P" once before the car had completely stopped and was lucky not to damage anything. I was surprised that it actually went into park while it was still moving and wondered what would happen if you hit "P" while driving. Surely they have some safegaurd built into the system? IMHO it should be impossible to go into "P" position without the park brake on or something like that. Just for idiots like me.

To test the brake I had repaired yesterday was not rubbing I jacked up one front wheel and ran the car. Pressing the accelerator lightly causes all kinds of horrendous noises so I rapidly stopped the test! I guess the anti-skid is modulating the power to try to stop the one wheel going too fast. As power is modulated the backlash in the drive train judders. Don’t try this at home I suggest.
I'm sure that was a fun test! The traction control system was probably having a fit! You could try doing the test again with the traction control turned off. Notice the capitol letter in the word "You". Personally, I'd just turn the wheels by hand.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I do it from reverse to forward on a regular basis. I've done that in all of my cars, so it's sort of a habit. I did accidently hit the "P" once before the car had completely stopped and was lucky not to damage anything. I was surprised that it actually went into park while it was still moving and wondered what would happen if you hit "P" while driving. Surely they have some safegaurd built into the system? IMHO it should be impossible to go into "P" position without the park brake on or something like that.
I have not done an exhaustive test, as it very damaging if it all goes wrong, but I think neither a Leaf nor a Prius will put the parking pawl on if it’s going more than around 1-2 MPH. Ideally it would not do it above 0.0000 mph but for some reason, despite all their clever electronics, they don't seem to be able to do it.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I find it interesting that Eurocarparts stock 3 brands selling these non-Nissan wishbones. Must mean this is a common part with other models, as can’t believe there are enough Leafs out there to make it profitable for 3 firms plus Nissan to be making these spares just for Leafs.
Its shared with at least the Juke and the Pulsar. Parts sharing like that is extremely common, despite all the nonsense the manufacturers like to spout about it being a bespoke EV platform, they are almost always using common parts across the range of models. The whole front suspension system will be using standard nissan parts, probably only the spring rates and damper valving is specific to the LEAF. Same with the rear beam.

Autodoc has some even cheaper wishbones available and when you click into them it shows an application list with quite a few nissan models.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts