Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2015 BMW i3 REx 60ah, Solar Orange
120 Posts
I'm not speaking about the lighter colours, as I think that would almost be impossible to maintain unless you live in a warmer climate. I see you're UK based, so four seasons in one day!

If I was cleaning, then i'd use a carpet cleaning solution like 1001 shampoo. The key is not to wet the area, and use a bristle brush and work in a circular motion. If you have access to a wet vacuum, then that would help afterwards, then air dry. For something more stubborn, such as an oil stain, then methylated spirit to sponge off with a paper towel, then steam-clean or shampoo.

If you want to protect, then any 3M Scochgard spray will work.

If our car has leather - then Colourlock products are excellent for cleaning, restoration and protection.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the useful advice. But I think you are talking about the carpet type mats?
I have an issue with the rather strange ‘all weather’ mats that BMW sell as an accessory. They are not rubber but seem to be made of an obscure material with a coating on. Light grey colour - which was a pretty dumb idea in the first place. I have tried a number of cleaners but so far without any success.

·
Registered
2015 BMW i3 REx 60ah, Solar Orange
120 Posts
Thanks for the useful advice. But I think you are talking about the carpet type mats?
I have an issue with the rather strange ‘all weather’ mats that BMW sell as an accessory. They are not rubber but seem to be made of an obscure material with a coating on. Light grey colour - which was a pretty dumb idea in the first place. I have tried a number of cleaners but so far without any success.
These things: New Genuine BMW i3 IO1 Set Of Rear All-Weather Floor Mats 51472353819 5056162837157 | eBay

At £70, if a wet vacuum doesn't work, then not sure what will. My wife's i3 has carpet mats over the carpet underneath and this is in daily use. Yes they get wet, but once dry, the dirt vacuums off and they come up great. The picture of the mats - they look grubby, and they are meant to be new. Trouble is it looks like it's a weave. Must be polyester or nylon which just attracts the dirt.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is the one. No idea what they are made of. They are on a rubber base and the grey inserts also feel like rubber but with a clear coating. They are solid like a rubber mat - not a carpet like material.
There has got to be something that cleans them but I have not found it yet!

·
Registered
9 Posts
All Purpose Cleaner (APC) works for me on the All Weather mats. Bilt Hamber make the stuff I use (Surfex HD) which is diluted down to no stonger than 1:10 for the mats. Spray in on, leave for a minute, agitate with a brush then rinse before the solution dries out.

Here in the Scottish Highlands our rubberised mats take quite a hammering. The Surfex HD stuff works really well.

I also use the same stuff when washing the bodywork of the car as well but great care is required not to use it at too strong a solution - no stonger than 1:20.

As far as I can tell most 'snow foams', as used with pressure washers, have the same active ingredients (mainly different surfactants) as APC but with added bubbles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts