Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get this grey haze on the inside of my windscreen and its proving difficult to remove. The best solution I have found so far is to use a damp towelling cloth and rub the screen using one of these long reach cleaning devices.

Has anyone found any chemicals/screen cleaners that work any better than my current solution?

Searching on the Internet seems to suggest that the haze is cause by fumes coming off the new plastic of the dash.

Thanks

·
Registered
443 Posts
I’ve never had a problem using any normal glass cleaner to remove this ‘haze’. I tend to apply with a micro fibre cloth then polish up with a 2nd clean cloth (or paper towel if I’ve not got a second cloth to hand). If it’s bad it may take 2 passes to get clean, but I don’t let it get that bad normally.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm working my way through a pack of Holts Screenies wipes at the moment (there isn't much storage space up front in an eNV2000). Autoglym is usually worth the expense. Neat screen wash concentrate might be worth a try if you have some to hand

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
544 Posts
Just ordered some, will let you know.
I hate dirty windscreens and I have found Autoglym’s Fastglass works really well - I have found that it is best not to spray directly on to the screen - I spray a couple of squirts on to a clean, dry microfibre cloth and do about a third of the windscreen then use a second, dry microfibre cloth to buff dry.

I keep turning the ‘wet’ cloth as if it gets too wet the screen will end up a bit smeary.

I recently used Autoglym’s screen polish - the screen was sparkling afterwards and completely smear free - I used this inside and out and it is very impressive. You need to use the two cloth method and only small amounts of polish.

As an aside, Fastglass is also useful on infotainment screens and on bird poo!

·
Madam Legurtz
407 Posts
Aldi's own Glass Cleaner - it is vinegar based which cuts through just about anything up to and probably including nuclear waste! It really does get right down to the surface of the glass again. And if you want to use a polish after that then you've got a good surface to apply it to.

As others have said, a good clean pair of microfibre cloths (Aldi do a good selection) is essential, keep them scrupulously clean, turning/folding if they get grimy. I use bright yellow cloths that show up the dirt quickly, which gives a good hint when to move on to a clean section of the cloth.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Aldi's own Glass Cleaner - it is vinegar based which cuts through just about anything up to and probably including nuclear waste! It really does get right down to the surface of the glass again. And if you want to use a polish after that then you've got a good surface to apply it to.

As others have said, a good clean pair of microfibre cloths (Aldi do a good selection) is essential, keep them scrupulously clean, turning/folding if they get grimy. I use bright yellow cloths that show up the dirt quickly, which gives a good hint when to move on to a clean section of the cloth.
Costco do a pack of 36 for around £16 and they are very good quality - you have to be a member or know someone who is, of course

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interesting, bought some of that a week ago, will give it a try before the Fastglass arrives.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I remember my Nan swearing by vinegar in water and old newspapers to clean her house windows! Not tried it on car windows though...
An old mechanic friend mentioned exactly this a few years back, I thought he was taking the Mick until he showed me on his own car

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I had the same problem after taking delivery of the car. £1 windscreen wipes did it for me.

The key is to wipe and then imminently wipe the dirty liquid off using a dry cloth or newspaper. Apply elbow grease, repeat a few times and it's all streak free spotless.

Follow this guy's method to get close to the bottom of windscreen.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts