Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if there is a set procedure ( i'm not near a handbook and google shows very little) to clear all data and registration from a leaf40 when selling it?

I'm aware that you can clear the car from your YOU+ Nissan "My Garage" but wondering if this really clears the car or if there is a way to do it all from the car at all..

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Nissan HAVE TO delete all your information when you return the car.
This under the new GDRP law.
They would remove the SD card and erase it.
All your information would be the addresses in SatNav and phone information of you have it connected

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Nissan HAVE TO delete all your information when you return the car.
This under the new GDRP law.
They would remove the SD card and erase it.
All your information would be the addresses in SatNav and phone information of you have it connected
So what happens if the car is sold to a third party?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
So what happens if the car is sold to a third party?
They would replace the SD card with a new one, because all your data is stored there when deleted all your information will be delete.
I don't know the details but considering the price of a SD card I suppose they just destroy it.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Surely like the Leaf 30 there is an option to purge data?
A used dealer would not be expected to replace the SD card, thats purely map data in the most part. The cost to non Nissan types is £100+

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,629 Posts
Is there a factory reset buried anywhere? That's what I did with the Zoe. I have the enormous Leaf user manuals at hand. I'll have a look....

Had a look and there doesn't seem to be even a mention of clearing history, factory reset or data wiping at all. Hmmm.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Is there a factory reset buried anywhere? That's what I did with the Zoe. I have the enormous Leaf user manuals at hand. I'll have a look....

Had a look and there doesn't seem to be even a mention of clearing history, factory reset or data wiping at all. Hmmm.
You'd expect there to be a little hole that you push an opened-out paperclip into, wouldn't you? :)

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is what i thought, a way to purge the data and association with an account as after all their GDPR bull it means someone else can still be accessing the car, seeing where it is and turning AC/Charge status around.. Say if it had come back from a failed finance agreement and been ceased, person who had the vehicle taken from there could possibly do all sorts... not a great thing.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Not sure if this helps, but having just bought a second hand Leaf from a non-Nissan dealer we had to get Nissan to change the ownership details to that we could use the Nissan EV app. Interestingly, they accepted the V5C even though it clearly states on the front it isn't proof of ownership!

I'm assuming that the previous owner cannot now access the car in any way. We can see his previous journeys, though!

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Not exactly GDPR compliant. There is plenty of potential to exploit that data, particularly as you know who the previous keeper was.

·
Registered
105 Posts
True, though I wonder where liability rests as my understanding is it doesn't cover me as an individual. The car holds the data, should they delete themselves?

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
The liability certainly doesn't lie with you as the new owner, arguably it is with Nissan for not providing a method of deletion.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Exactly this, I cant understand there isn't a simple reset/clear as even if location stuff was needed for say, a stolen vehicle, nissan could still easily get at this with ease if they want to.

I know you can remove a car from your garage but no bugger ever does when it comes to chopping their car in and there needs to be a simpler way forward ??

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am selling my LEAF 40 shortly. I know I can un-link my car from Nissan services, but is there still no way to purge the personal data from the system held in the car itself - I think satnav destinations need to be purged to satisfy fundamental GDPR conditions.

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,629 Posts
I'm sure I saw a reset thingy somewhere in one of the menus. Think it might have been called re-initalise something. That's worth trying.

If that does nothing then I'd probably sit there and try and select and delete all the history as much as possible by hand. Also delete the phone as that should wipe contacts.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
869 Posts
The Nissan approved cars are not cleared either.

Despite the box being ticked of the clear down data on the form they give you with all the checks they should do, my car had all the previous trips, favourite places and phone numbers of the last owner.

It makes you wonder what other checks they didn’t do!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought my 40 from a Nissan dealer it was a demo model, still had the employees phone shown in the system and their previous sat nav journeys.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My final thoughts about this now as my car is being sold tomorrow...to be replaced by a KIA Soul EV.

Clearing satnav history is quite easy, as there is a menu function for this.

I found that if I turned off "load contacts" in settings, a different phone no longer sees the previously loaded contacts.

I do appreciate there may be history still in the SD card, but I do not want to risk breaking satnav mapping and so have not looked at the data stored on this.

Not ideal, but I am happy enough with this outcome.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts