Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Where do people get this thing about noise from? Clearly no one has been beside a road when an EV goes by at 20-30mph... you really can't tell the difference between it and a modern ICE.

As for the idea that an EV driver could be somehow responsible for other people's bad driving by leading them into bus lanes... :rolleyes:

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,690 Posts
The AA says it will be dangerous as cyclists won't hear EVs coming up behind them. Speechless. As a cyclist I use this amazing thing called a mirror, and wind noise tends to wipe out most car or bus noise anyway.
I think I will be actually getting more fun from EV when I get it, good excuse to use horn more now safety feature!

·
Registered
221 Posts
"The perks will not apply to owners of hybrid cars that run on a combination of petrol and electricity." Will this include/exclude the i3 Rex

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
Clegg did NOT announce EVs being allowed to use bus lanes, or free parking for EVs. The scheme he announced is looking for between two and four cities across the UK to be 'flagship cities' giving incentives to ULEVs which may include use of bus lanes within the city and special parking in some areas.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
interesting paragraph in telegraph article

"The perks will not apply to owners of hybrid cars that run on a combination of petrol and electricity."

This may be a Journalistic mis-speak, trying to say that standard hybrids like Prius and insight are excluded, rather than Plug-in varients i3 Rex, Amperas and P-i-Prius's..

The official line is Ultra Low Emission Vehicles: ULEV
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/deputy-prime-minister-takes-green-cars-up-a-gear

Reactions: Paul

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Clegg did NOT announce EVs being allowed to use bus lanes, or free parking for EVs. The scheme he announced is looking for between two and four cities across the UK to be 'flagship cities' giving incentives to ULEVs which may include use of bus lanes within the city and special parking in some areas.
That'll be the "Plan" part of the subject..

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Urgh, I just read some of the comments on the daily mail website. I think I am going to be sick!
LOL! I did that once and I even started to try to put forward reasoned arguments to counter some of the narrow-mindedness... waste of time trying to convince them BUT it does get the facts out there even if no one there believes them... they will one day and that is why it is worth putting the realities to them... and taking the flack :eek:

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Urgh, I just read some of the comments on the daily mail website. I think I am going to be sick!
That's your own fault! thank you for NOT sharing a link.

Reactions: Guesty

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
If they really wanted to show commitment to electric vehicles why not replace all ministerial cars for tootling around westminster with Leafs, lead by example. Keep the jags for longer distance drives but there is no reason why the PM cannot use a leaf for the 500m drive from No10 to the houses of parliament.

Lead by example people

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
If they really wanted to show commitment to electric vehicles why not replace all ministerial cars for tootling around westminster with Leafs, lead by example. Keep the jags for longer distance drives but there is no reason why the PM cannot use a leaf for the 500m drive from No10 to the houses of parliament.

Lead by example people
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Two mistakes there. Visiting the Daily Mail, and most importantly, reading the comments on ANY news site, ESPECIALLY the Daily Mail (I know I know, but let's just call it a "news" site for the sake of this point). ;)

The Telegraph says every service station will have chargers that will charge for 100 miles in 20 minutes. Now THAT I bet we can't wait to see! :D ;)

·
Registered
449 Posts
The AA says it will be dangerous as cyclists won't hear EVs coming up behind them.
As long as abide by the highway code and indicate before swerving around parked vehicles then no more dangerous... its when people expect to be warned where everyone else is on the road instead of checking, thats where the danger lies!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts