Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At a recent minor service of my 2016 LEAF30 at my local Nissan dealer I reported that there is click sound when brakes are first applied in a new direction, as if the pads shift to a new position. Also, I occasionally hear a springy twang from the suspension. The dealer rep said it might be associated with a particular Nissan Technical Bulletin which he didn't show me, but described thus

"It would essentially be us stripping the front brakes to see if they are causing any excess wear to the front discs, with you saying about a noise that you are hearing along with your suspension, it would give us a good scope to locate any items that are causing issue".

Anyone know about this Tech Bulletin and what it's about?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Sounds like the driveshaft issue.

See if putting the car on full lock and driving it slightly vigorously results in "click-click-click".

Driveshafts need taking apart, re lubricating and tightening up properly.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Slight hijack possibly...sorry if thats the case - I have always had a 'click' or a 'clunk/clack' from the brakes...but i wonder if it's different to this? I'm quite confident i dont have driveshaft / CV issues as i dont get the click click click on full lock - but i do get a 'clack' sometimes when i brake. I wondered if this is when the car is 'moving around' the energy when braking from like...the battery....to the brakes...and vice versa? It feels to me (i might be totally wrong) that the 'clack' occurs when more of the braking effort is given back to the driver. The reason i haven't been concerned about it is that both 'Leaves' i've driven did the same (mine, a 2013 63 plate with 85k miles and also a 2015 15 with only 15k miles).

Does anyone else have this 'clack' from the braking system?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Slight hijack possibly...sorry if thats the case - I have always had a 'click' or a 'clunk/clack' from the brakes...but i wonder if it's different to this? I'm quite confident i dont have driveshaft / CV issues as i dont get the click click click on full lock - but i do get a 'clack' sometimes when i brake. I wondered if this is when the car is 'moving around' the energy when braking from like...the battery....to the brakes...and vice versa? It feels to me (i might be totally wrong) that the 'clack' occurs when more of the braking effort is given back to the driver. The reason i haven't been concerned about it is that both 'Leaves' i've driven did the same (mine, a 2013 63 plate with 85k miles and also a 2015 15 with only 15k miles).

Does anyone else have this 'clack' from the braking system?
Thanks. There is only so much one can deduce from hearing a noise. I have assumed that the noise I hear is the result of some ‘slack’ in a load path. The dealer will not investigate the cause of the noise without that work being underwritten by another party. Nissan Customer Services have told me that I will have to pay for the investigation if the dealer concludes, from that investigation, that there is no manufacturing defect. I’m not willing to roll that dice!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts