Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out in my Leaf yesterday evening, for first time with the windows wound down, as it was too warm inside the car. I noticed a single 'click' noise when I slowed down (by lifting off the accelerator), and then sometimes again as I accelerate away. It sounded like a loud relay click coming from the front of the car. Is this normal? Or is something up? o_O

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I was out in my Leaf yesterday evening, for first time with the windows wound down, as it was too warm inside the car. I noticed a single 'click' noise when I slowed down (by lifting off the accelerator), and then sometimes again as I accelerate away. It sounded like a loud relay click coming from the front of the car. Is this normal? Or is something up? o_O
2 week old LEAF - I have it too, not that it answers your question.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had same issue with my leaf, returned it to dealer who said it was the driveshaft and just needed a little grease. No issue now but not convinced

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have this as well. For me it seems to be whenever the friction brakes kick in when slowing down. Also happens when setting off again.

Perhaps it is something to do with the blending of regen and friction braking.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I had a clicking when turning 80-100% full lock and going forward slowly. Garage put it on ramp, said they couldn't see anything but clicking stopped... something to do with drive shaft into differential is my guess sorted by the full raising of car on ramp which slides the shafts out a little (doesn't sound like issue you are discribing 100%)

·
Registered
177 Posts
.... I noticed a single 'click' noise when I slowed down (by lifting off the accelerator), and then sometimes again as I accelerate away. It sounded like a loud relay click coming from the front of the car. Is this normal? Or is something up? o_O
I've got this noise on mine too, need to book it in to be checked and hopefully resolved.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I've got this noise on mine too, need to book it in to be checked and hopefully resolved.
Is this a fault though? I have exactly the same thing you describe. I've assumed it either is doing something or its a symptom of the car being so damn quiet and subtle suspension noises that wouldn't normally be heard.

Interesting to know what the garage says.

·
Registered
177 Posts
My in-laws Leaf doesn't make this noise, so assume it's a potential fault rather than a "feature", but happy to be convinced otherwise.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts

In the owners manual for my new LEAF there is a section that mentions that the driver may hear a variety of noises as various parts of the car functions. In my own car I can hear a relay act as I go into over run on a decent, coinciding with the green sector of the power display coming on .
I would suggest that this is what you are hearing. Don't forget that the LEAF is the only car I have owned in which it has been worth playing quiet music! In most other cars you simply cannot hear the normal operating noises made by perfectly serviceable parts over the rumble of the engine, whine of the gearbox and roar of the exhaust.
Not only can I hear the minute noises made by the car I can also hear the birds singing in the hedgerow.

·
Registered
226 Posts
All four of ours do this. It's more of a 'Clack' sound.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts