Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Vauxhall Corsa-e (Elite Nav Premium)
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've been seeing some abnormally high consumption figures from my Corsa-e. I decided to do a few tests to try and figure out what the problem was. I'd always read that the climate control in most EVs can cause the consumption to jump pretty high, but my numbers seem a bit excessive. I'm wondering if there's something wrong with my heat pump, or if this is normal.

All 3 tests were performed on the same route, in the same weather, with roughly the same driving style and speeds. Data was gathered through Tronity. Hardly scientific, but with each drive taking 30 minutes, I'm limited for time. It seemed better to do a longer journey, giving the car time to settle into a steady state, rather than doing many smaller journeys.

1st test - Eco mode, no heating - 242 Wh/mi (4.13 mi/kWh)
2nd test - Normal mode, climate set to 23, heated seat and steering wheel - 575 Wh/mi (1.73 mi/kWh)
3rd test - Normal mode, only heated seat and steering wheel - 239 Wh/mi (4.18 mi/kWh)

I find it hard to believe that keeping the cabin at 23 degrees would cause such a huge increase in consumption, considering the Corsa-e has a heat pump. I'm going to run a few more tests, with the heat at different temperatures, see if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Redid the 2nd test with cabin heat set to 21 degrees. Consumption came out at 485 Wh/mi (2.06 mi/kWh). Worth noting that the temperature for all 4 tests was 0-1°C

A lot of my shorter journeys around the city, generally under 2 miles, have consumption numbers more in the range of 700-900 Wh/mile. I imagine this is due to the cabin heater requiring more power initially. Once at the setpoint, it's not as power hungry. So, for those shorter journeys, only using heated seats/steering wheel should make a pretty big difference to my overall consumption. Only on longer journeys should I use the cabin heat, as it'll spread out that initial power draw over many miles.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In retrospect, it seems kind of obvious that the shorter journeys, with the cabin heater on, would be the least efficient. Given that it has to bring the temperature up from ambient every time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So, I've been seeing some abnormally high consumption figures from my Corsa-e. I decided to do a few tests to try and figure out what the problem was. I'd always read that the climate control in most EVs can cause the consumption to jump pretty high, but my numbers seem a bit excessive. I'm wondering if there's something wrong with my heat pump, or if this is normal.

All 3 tests were performed on the same route, in the same weather, with roughly the same driving style and speeds. Data was gathered through Tronity. Hardly scientific, but with each drive taking 30 minutes, I'm limited for time. It seemed better to do a longer journey, giving the car time to settle into a steady state, rather than doing many smaller journeys.

1st test - Eco mode, no heating - 242 Wh/mi (4.13 mi/kWh)
2nd test - Normal mode, climate set to 23, heated seat and steering wheel - 575 Wh/mi (1.73 mi/kWh)
3rd test - Normal mode, only heated seat and steering wheel - 239 Wh/mi (4.18 mi/kWh)

I find it hard to believe that keeping the cabin at 23 degrees would cause such a huge increase in consumption, considering the Corsa-e has a heat pump. I'm going to run a few more tests, with the heat at different temperatures, see if that makes any difference.
Yeah mate, just done an 80 mile trip to skeggie mainly a roads with cabin temp at 21 and used around 160 miles energy so I would struggle to get more than 100 miles in winter from a full charge.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My daily commute to work is 70mile round trip
80-90% motorway average speed of 42mph.
This consumes about 21kwh
Recently done 130mile trip and had about 10% left although the temperature was about 7 degrees and not 1 😅

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My daily commute to work is 70mile round trip
80-90% motorway average speed of 42mph.
This consumes about 21kwh
Recently done 130mile trip and had about 10% left although the temperature was about 7 degrees and not 1 😅
Sounds about right.

I did a 100 mile journey just the other day, with intermittent use of the climate control, and managed to make it with 40% remaining (from 100%), giving me an estimated range of 166 miles. The key point is that I only used the climate control when necessary (when my feet were cold), and otherwise used the heated seats/steering wheel. It wasn't terribly unpleasant. I did it mainly because I didn't want to have to stop at a MSA on the way there, risking having to queue up charging.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.