Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, quick check, if the granny charger is plugged in will the on board climate timer work with it? Or do I need to be plugged in to a 3/7kw charge point.
And do I assume that when the climate control kicks in on the timer it just uses the last settings in terms of mode, temp , heat, a/c and fan speed from when the car was last switched on.
Cheers

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
919 Posts
Eyyyyyyeeeeee Yerrrrrrrrrr Heressssss JOHNNyyyyyyy

There is a bit in the cars settings that allows you to set the preset temp if starting using the app - I think that's used for the timer also.

Also look at the setting giving priority to either climate control or HV battery charging - it will then only start climate control if the battery is charged to a certain level so you don't flatten your battery.

It will work on the granny but remember it may use more power than the granny can give, but I guess not as bad as running it after unplugging.

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, Outlander PHEV
2,237 Posts
If charge takes precedence over climate and battery is at 80%, charge timer will kick in.

Remember though granny is 2.4kW and climate timer runs PTC at 4kW. It will bleed 1.2kW off the pack.

I have 3.3kW charger and during winter, timer uses a percent or two while plugged in to mains 7kW charger.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is a bit in the cars settings that allows you to set the preset temp if starting using the app -
Cheers Johnno, found the setting. I suspect that like you I'll not bother with the timer and just do it via the app 5 minutes before I leave. Only when there are frosty windows natch.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Apparently Ford are now making E-Transits. Was briefly furious this morning when I turned up at Tesco to see this.
On closer inspection they had temp staff passes so I suspect they are tradesmen and the store manager told them to park there as the ChargePoints aren't live yet.
Ooo but was I bristling for 10 seconds.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Hi folks, quick check, if the granny charger is plugged in will the on board climate timer work with it? Or do I need to be plugged in to a 3/7kw charge point.
Should work on the granny charger although it might take longer to heat.

I do timed climate control on a 6kW charger and while it starts off at the full 6kW it rapidly drops back to around 2-3kW within a few minutes.
And do I assume that when the climate control kicks in on the timer it just uses the last settings in terms of mode, temp , heat, a/c and fan speed from when the car was last switched on.
Cheers
No, as John says it uses a preset temperature in the Zero emissions settings page - poke around there and you should find it. It behaves pretty much as if you had set the climate control to "Auto" with the same set temperature, although I think it runs the fan at a higher speed. I have mine set to 19C. If it is heating it sends the heat to the floor or the floor and windscreen depending on temperature, and if it is cooling it sends it to the face level vents - just like Auto mode.

If the outside temperature is below about 10C it runs the heated steering wheel as well and if its very cold (near freezing) it will also run the rear window demister automatically. It won't automatically run the seat heaters however if you leave them turned on when you leave the car they will come on with the climate control. :)

It's completely independent of whatever settings you last left the heating on, and when you turn the car on it will go back to your previously set driving settings.
There is a bit in the cars settings that allows you to set the preset temp if starting using the app - I think that's used for the timer also.
Yes that temperature setting in zero emissions controls remote climate start as well.
If charge takes precedence over climate and battery is at 80%, charge timer will kick in.
The charge priority setting is a bit misleading. I've done quite a bit of testing of the charge timer and climate control timer and how they interact and here's what I've found:

If you use both a charge end timer and a climate control timer the charge end timer is ignored and the car will always charge the battery to 100% two hours before the climate control departure timer is set.

For example I have my charge end timer set to 7am (so it auto calculates the start time to reach 100% at 7am) however if I enable the climate control timer for 7:30 the car is always charged by 5:30am... there doesn't seem to be any way around this.

The priority setting only affects one thing - whether the climate control will come on or not. If you set charging to have priority then climate control won't come on until the charge is above 80%. If you set climate control to have priority it will come on if the charge is above 15%.

However it's a moot point because if you use the charge timer the car will make sure it's 100% 2 hours before the climate departure timer anyway, so by the time the climate control is trying to come on the battery is almost certainly above 80% unless you're charging very slowly.
Remember though granny is 2.4kW and climate timer runs PTC at 4kW. It will bleed 1.2kW off the pack.
The highest I've ever seen the PTC heater in my car go is 3kW. While the car draws 6kW initially when the climate timer kicks in the rest of that is going to the battery to top it up slightly and this portion tapers off within a few minutes. After maybe 5-10 minutes the power level is down to around 1-2kW at least in mild weather, I haven't seen how it behaves in deep winter yet.

Interesting fact - when you do timed climate control or remote climate control the car does not use the heat pump to warm the car. (!) It only uses the PTC heater...

This can be confirmed both by looking at Leafspy and also listening to the front of the car where you'll notice the radiator fan does not run, (which always runs when the heat pump is running) nor does the heat pump.

Another interesting fact is that reading through some of the service manual for the car this seems to be a dealer configurable option as to whether the heat pump is used for preheat or not, set with a diagnostic tool. In the US cars the heat pump does run for unplugged remote climate control but not for plugged in climate control...
I have 3.3kW charger and during winter, timer uses a percent or two while plugged in to mains 7kW charger.
Don't take any notice of that 2 percent drop. The Leaf never reports 99%, it only ever goes up to 98% while charging and then jumps instantly to 100% when charging ends. Likewise the instant remote climate control kicks in the reading drops to 98%. It doesn't mean you've immediately lost 2% of your range.

My car does this instant drop from 100% to 98% even though I have a 6kW charger. Also if the car is sitting plugged in at 100% complete, if you re-start charging using the app (which you can do, oddly, even if the car is fully charged...) it will immediately drop to 98%, charge for a few minutes then go back off again...

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
View attachment 134689
Apparently Ford are now making E-Transits. Was briefly furious this morning when I turned up at Tesco to see this.
On closer inspection they had temp staff passes so I suspect they are tradesmen and the store manager told them to park there as the ChargePoints aren't live yet.
Don't forget that the devious Turks do make REx Transits with the benefit of EU funding so you may have to get used to the sight (although there will be leads!).

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
I'm sure it's capable of 4kW, I just haven't seen it run that high in Leafspy - not even when turned up to 30C. Typically when turned right up the PTC runs at 2.5kW and the heat pump at 0.5kW for a combined total of 3kW drawn for a heat output of around 4-4.5kW. (Assuming heatpump COP of 3 to 4) I'm yet to see the summed total go above 3kW, but maybe it will in winter ?

Outside temperature seems to have a very large effect on the control algorithms - the car really fights any attempt to turn the heater up high when the outside temperature is also high. With an ambient of 15C you have to turn the temperature up to about 28 degrees or more to get the heater to run at maximum...

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
919 Posts
Thats good to know as Im paranoid Im wasting power by having it set at 18 when its 15 out and I see the heater light on

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, Outlander PHEV
2,237 Posts
I'm sure it's capable of 4kW, I just haven't seen it run that high in Leafspy - not even when turned up to 30C. Typically when turned right up the PTC runs at 2.5kW and the heat pump at 0.5kW for a combined total of 3kW drawn for a heat output of around 4-4.5kW. (Assuming heatpump COP of 3 to 4) I'm yet to see the summed total go above 3kW, but maybe it will in winter ?

Outside temperature seems to have a very large effect on the control algorithms - the car really fights any attempt to turn the heater up high when the outside temperature is also high. With an ambient of 15C you have to turn the temperature up to about 28 degrees or more to get the heater to run at maximum...
I think my observation was in winter. I've had this leaf since Oct 2018. I was keeping a close eye on it last year

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
View attachment 134689
Ford are selling (maybe pre-selling) PHEV Transits. Presumably they'd be fine on the chargers?

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
5C this morning and after about 10 minutes the climate timer conditioning is only drawing just over 2kW. The initial surge to 6kWh that lasts about 5 minutes before tapering is probably due to the on board charger targeting the full charge voltage for the battery (as if it is doing a normal charging session) causing some power to be taken by the battery (since the terminal voltage of the cells would have sagged over night) but once the battery floats back up to the full voltage it stops drawing power only leaving the 2-3kW going to the heater.

So while it may be slower it looks like preconditioning on a 3kW charger should work pretty much as well as a 6kW charger and even a granny charger will do the job albeit perhaps take a bit longer. (But it probably takes this into account when calculating the start time)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts