Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a Leaf back in 2014 on the 18month Drive Electric trial lease and loved it... I've still got the extra charging leads in the garage and we have the charging point on the garage from the previous car!

We have the opportunity to sign 3yr NHS lease on a N-Connecta for less the running costs of our 2002 Skoda Superb.

I'll be the occasional drive, but at 6ft 6 I need to go and have a test drive before we sign up. I never had any problems with the earlier model.

What at the significant changes from 2014 model to now - aside from the improved battery and range.

What are people's general thoughts on the car?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
Leaf e+
249 Posts
Thanks for your NHS service first of all!

At your height I would be asking for an extended test drive. The biggest concern with the 2018+ Leaf is no ability to adjust the depth of the steering wheel - only a limited amount of travel on the height. On the other hand it does have a good amount of space I feel.

Have a browse around on YouTube for the changes, there's plenty of good reviews out there which can help you, but the comfort is very good.

We are enjoying ours, and the amount of tech you get is very good - it's a tried and tested platform which as a car to get you from A to B is ideal. I have the e+ and always makes me smile the power it has available and preconditioning is still a novelty!
Only things to mind that are less desirable:
  • Infotainment buggy - particularly if you use Apple CarPlay.
  • Rapidgate on your 3rd rapid charge if long distance travelling.

Note that the cables you had for the 2014 Leaf would not be compatible with newer versions as they moved from Type-1 to Type-2 connectors. If you can switch out the cables that should work. This should help you discern the connector type to be sure.

My wife is looking to swap her car soon and we are looking at the MG ZS EV for her with the NHS Affinity scheme - thought I would share this in case you had not seen it - as it could also be done without sacrificing your NHS pension contributions.
MG Affinity Scheme

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Note that the cables you had for the 2014 Leaf would not be compatible with newer versions as they moved from Type-1 to Type-2 connectors. If you can switch out the cables that should work. This should help you discern the connector type to be sure.
MRH also said "we have the charging point on the garage from the previous car! " which might mean there is an existing socket in the garage (rather than a tethered lead of wrong sex). A new Leaf will of course come with two cables - a 'granny lead' for any 13A outlet and a 7kW cable that should plug into any existing socket for a former EV

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
If you had no problems with the earlier model then you should have no problem with the current model - the seats are slightly different, but their position, the position of the pedals and steering wheel and the adjustment of the steering wheel are all the same. The car isn't really a new model - it is a heavy facelift, and the "hardpoints" (eg seat locations, windscreen, steering column location, etc) are the exact same as before. The changes are new front fenders, bonnet, bumper and lights, new rear door skins (front doors are identical to the earlier cars), new rear bodywork and tailgate. Things like windows, door structures, roof, etc are all the same.

·
Registered
229 Posts
We had a Leaf back in 2014 on the 18month Drive Electric trial lease and loved it... I've still got the extra charging leads in the garage and we have the charging point on the garage from the previous car!

We have the opportunity to sign 3yr NHS lease on a N-Connecta for less the running costs of our 2002 Skoda Superb.

I'll be the occasional drive, but at 6ft 6 I need to go and have a test drive before we sign up. I never had any problems with the earlier model.

What at the significant changes from 2014 model to now - aside from the improved battery and range.

What are people's general thoughts on the car?

Many thanks!
I am 6 foot 5 and of a larger frame and i am okay to sit in the leaf for an hour or so to drive into london. Anymore than that and the knees begin to ache, but then again after an hour and a half you will either be where you need to be or need to charge, so you get to stretch your legs then.

The steering wheel adjustment is a major issue as is the centre consoul on my left knee but it is tolerable.

My previous car was a superb (62 plate) and i loved it - dont think it will be the same, the Leaf is MUCH smaller car!

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
2,144 Posts
LEAF’s coming off the production line post November 2020 have a telescopic adjustable steering column which will certainly help with getting a comfortable driving position.

Not a problem for me, but some have had problems with the left leg coming into contact with the centre consul, it sticks out at an angle.

I think Propilot only comes as an option on the N-connecta but well worth having if it can be specified.

·
Registered
2018 Leaf 40kwh Tekna
190 Posts
Hi,

We've had our Leaf 40 since July and have to say after having the 24 and 30 the increase in range of the 40 has proven to be enough for us to do a number of easy long trips to Cornwall, South Wales and we're (hopefully) taking it to france this summer.

The e pedal is the biggest change in driving experience to earlier models. I find it helps no end in town driving. The pro pilot works really well and makes motorway journeys so easy.

I would say if you were happy with your leaf previously then the Leaf 40 is a good way to go.

Thanks,

Jonno

Reactions: rikdud

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Leaf Tekna 40kw
31 Posts
We also have had our Leaf 40 since November and love the EV driving experience, such a smooth and comfortable ride you get from it. My wife recently got a lift to work in an ICE car and she couldn't believe how juddery and noisy it was after being in the Leaf, something she would not have noticed before. You do get a lot more for your money with the Leaf compared to the competition and we certainly don't regret buying it.😊

1 - 8 of 8 Posts