Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

81 - 100 of 136 Posts

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,279 Posts
I don't know. Basically we're pulling that data from the battery computer and that's it. 1-2 kW is almost impossible for pure balancing. If you have ever seen the pictures of the guts of the battery pack Some pictures of the battery you will notice the balancing wiring is tiny and the balancing hardware is not impressive, i.o.w., it's doing that very slowly and with modest currents. However, the firmware that showed the fast falling SOH kept the battery charging on 99% for a very long time too, which everybody attributed to balancing. In theory it could be massive charger inefficiencies when it pushes very low currents but I am not convinced. But as said, I don't know.

·
Registered
503 Posts
It gets confusing. Having charged the car to 100% I drove it to a destination about 1.3 miles away and CanZE said I had 39.6 kWh remaining. Having driven it back home CanZE said I still had 39.6 kWh remaining!

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
@stageshoot good going (y) what temperature was it during your 222.5 mile run?

Looks like it may be a lot more to do with temps than weight Zoe is carrying, It may also be that you get much better mileage from one long run as my over 200 miles achieved has always been over several days.

Over 211 miles I only had 1kWh saved, you had 4kWh saved, any idea why so much regen?

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,279 Posts
(frantically kicking in open doors.....)
1) regenerating from say 40-0 puts in 4 times as much energy as from 20-0, ignoring the last friction braking part for the moment. What I am trying to say is, the moment you transition from coasting to regen has substantial influence

2) regen is better than friction braking of course, but worse than coasting down. Less regen might actually take you further if you apply "insane anticipation".

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
@stageshoot good going (y) what temperature was it during your 222.5 mile run?

Looks like it may be a lot more to do with temps than weight Zoe is carrying, It may also be that you get much better mileage from one long run as my over 200 miles achieved has always been over several days.

Over 211 miles I only had 1kWh saved, you had 4kWh saved, any idea why so much regen?
Ambient was 23c at start 25c at end of day. Battery temp was about 31c when I checked it on CanZe a couple of times during the day

Was in Eco mode but had AC on

As for Regen M1 traffic tends to build it up as does London traffic. I would prefer coasting but happy to take the brake regen when it's there

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Ambient was 23c at start 25c at end of day
If we get those sort of temps here in summer I hope to better my personal best (and maybe yours) ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Getting that sort of mileage is incredible - well done.

Just to back up the temperature theory, I do a 68.5 mile (140 return) trip a few times a week. The profile is 3.5 miles in town, 10 miles at 50mph and then 55 miles at national speed limit on motorway / dual carriageways. I use Eco mode on the way down and generally use about 16kwh of energy (see attached). That extrapolates out to about 170 miles of range based on 41kwh, which I'm pretty happy with. I don't have large passengers or a boot full of paperwork - just my 88kg in the driving seat.

It's an evening run so I have never done this with more than 16 degrees ambient - so will be interesting to see what happens when it's hot.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_b57.jpg

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I use Eco mode on the way down and generally use about 16kwh of energy
Have you tried it without ECO on? You may find you may get further with just gentle driving. I gave up using ECO years ago. I do better mileage without it. I think that you end up going past the limits just to get a move on.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Have you tried it without ECO on? You may find you may get further with just gentle driving. I gave up using ECO years ago. I do better mileage without it. I think that you end up going past the limits just to get a move on.
Personally the only benefit I have found from ECO is that it mutes the AC a little, I find with the temp set to min, the AC is just too aggressive (Cold) SWMBO sits there going blue with teeth chattering, in ECO I can leave it set that way and the temp feels better regulated (And the passenger seat SWMBO has less of a corpse body colour).

I know I could also regulate the temp by bringing up the temp control but found that uses more energy as it seems to regulate it with heat from the heater as well.. May be totally wrong but am finding ECO with MIN temp setting and Eco the most efficient way at the moment although still experimenting so happy to take advice from those who have had it longer

·
Registered
22 Posts
I must be new to this game - I just had to look up SWMBO. Funny!

Now I have some consistent data on using Eco for the London run I'm going to try it without next time. I don't use Eco on my return journey, I just go as fast as I can without running out of juice before home - so not really a comparison.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I find with the temp set to min, the AC is just too aggressive (Cold)
I find that once you get the temp inside down to comfortable level if you direct the flow up to the windscreen it maintains that level without any cold air blowing directly at you or passenger.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I find that once you get the temp inside down to comfortable level if you direct the flow up to the windscreen it maintains that level without any cold air blowing directly at you or passenger.
Thats ok for you skinny folks,

I am fat and like a cheap steak unless directly chilled go off at an alarming rate!! ;-)

·
Registered
774 Posts
Well, I'm still not certain we have 41kWh available. Tonight's finish left us with 188.1 miles, showing 36kWh used and 18 miles left on the GOM.

CanZE shows 8.28% usable charge left, and 11.99% real state of charge. It also shows 3.3kWh left and 36.7kWh to get back to full. So, that doesn't add up to 41kWh.. 8.28% equating to 3.3kWh means 39.95kWh at 100%. Make that 11.99% and you get, 41.3kWh...

upload_2018-6-19_21-23-15.png

·
Zoe Devotee
7,965 Posts
However, having done close to 200 miles between charges, this morning the car is offering a decent estimated range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is that decent? If you were mainly doing nearly 200 miles, how much range did you have at the end? Could be that 231 is wildly inaccurate?

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Mine says something similar at 238 miles. If driven carefully it drops slowly, but the first upward gradient sees it lose 4 or 5 miles. You definitely don't get mile for mile, but can lose sort of mile and a quarter for a mile. It really does depend on the ambient temperature. During the last week of May/first week of June with the over 20C temperatures I'm sure I was doing better than mile for mile. Although I didn't get more than an average of 5.3 m/kWh.

·
Registered
774 Posts
No, I don't think 231 is realistic either. We've been getting around 210, or thereabouts, but end up needing to charge before running out completely, so I'm not sure what the actual would really be. 231 is based on around 5.6mPkWh, but we certainly aren't getting that. I've seen 5.5 after around 100 miles, but it drops back a bit. In the current weather we're seeing nearer 5.1.

·
Zoe Devotee
7,965 Posts
No, I don't think 231 is realistic either. We've been getting around 210, or thereabouts, but end up needing to charge before running out completely, so I'm not sure what the actual would really be. 231 is based on around 5.6mPkWh, but we certainly aren't getting that. I've seen 5.5 after around 100 miles, but it drops back a bit. In the current weather we're seeing nearer 5.1.
I would say to qualify, when pushed the Zoe will do 5.7mpkwh or more, I've done it over a charge. However its not typical daily driving.

I think getting 5+mpkwh is actually really good.

I'm seeling low 4's since BMS in warm weather. Just can't get it higher and I was used to getting mid 4's even with a poor SOH pack.

81 - 100 of 136 Posts