• I do not expect to use this service

Votes: 10 76.9%

• Total voters
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many on here have talked about this concept and now a company has setup to do it. You can get paid for neighbours to use your charging point. I like how front page features an Ampera, a nice bit of nostalgia for me :)

I have added a quick poll but comments welcome too!

I have no connection with them, but will suggest they join as perhaps a sponsor

·
Registered
172 Posts
So I happened to look through the FAQs a bit on these - and as a 'host' I would have some concerns that Co Charger do not seem to address in any way.

• The scheme is going to depend on a 'photo' of the battery % to work out a cost based on your profile. It leaves this open to falsifying the information quite easily as a result, by either just uploading a photo showing a higher SoC, or configuring your profile with a battery capacity less than your car actually has.
  • As they clearly state, most chargers are unlocked / unsecured so what's to say when someone determines a charger there not to go back and use it again in the future without booking?
  • There's nothing around any protection for malpractice. What happens if a chargee damages your charger / home, or does not vacate in a suitable time? Feels like all the liability is on the host, and Co Charger just 'make the connection' - It almost needs like a mediation system like AirBnB etc.
I appreciate these are relative edge cases, but given what I've read I personally would hesitate to do so as EV popularity grows and characters who are happy to flaunt a system become more common.

It seems more plausible if there was a way to hook into smart chargers to extract the consumption rates for chargee's and put some liability protection in place for both parties.

·
EV Convert
iPace HSE / 2019
628 Posts
More frustrating than anyting else is the use of the word "charger"... :( drives me nuts.

I thought this idea is roughly where PlugShare started?

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
There's lots of questions around the margins as suggested above by @Maui to which I add:
  1. Insurance - would I need to change my household insurance to cover this?
  2. Given that the pricing is per hour -what happens for cars with different charge rates?
  3. I can vary the charge rate and suspend charging on my charge points - I could easily defraud customers. What safeguards do they have?
  4. Once I get to know the chargees what's to stop us cutting out the App?
  5. What happens when we both want to use a charge point? Am I contractually obligued to give them preference?
Overall I think that the idea of introductions is great but that a methodology of something closer to the many carparking Apps would seem sensible with the 'leccy as a service.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Insurance is a big can of worms, does it amount to running a business from the property so would it affect or invalidate an existing house insurance policy? If the user damages the charger or property would existing insurance cover it, seems unlikely? If the user visiting to use the charger gets harmed on the property; electric shock from the charger, tripping up or falling while on the drive, would existing public liability insurance cover it?

There's also a planning permission aspect which would need exploring, installing charge points to houses for personal use is permitted development but it would need confirming whether it is permitted development for those charge points to be used to provide public charging facilities. We're allowed to host BBQs in our gardens, but we can't run a BBQ fast-food joint from our gardens.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts