Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Atmospheric CO2 hits a new peak 417 ppm. That’s an increase of 2.4 ppm since May 2019.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Wait until the perma-frost starts melting properly over the next decade, releasing all it's trapped methane and CO2.
417ppm will look miniscule soon.
At least Putin and Trump will be able to drill for oil in the Arctic Circle though.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Wait until the perma-frost starts melting properly over the next decade, releasing all it's trapped methane and CO2.
:eek: :cry:💀

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Even if it then leaks away from tanks with foundations on the melting permafrost. :mad:

"So far about 21,000 tonnes have contaminated the Ambarnaya river and surrounding subsoil."

How should the world be regulated to de-risk environmental disasters?

·
Registered
213 Posts
You all seem to be missing the point of my post.
It is estimated that permafrost stores 1,600 gigatonnes of CO2, twice as much CO2 as is already in the atmosphere.
With black soot from pollution covering the ice and algae now starting to grow on it, the permafrost is undertaking a massive change that will only speed up the release of all this trapped CO2.
Luckily, our political masters want to phase out the combustion engine by 2035. I think they might find they are behind the curve ball once again if that is their intentions.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is estimated that permafrost stores 1,600 gigatonnes of CO2, twice as much CO2 as is already in the atmosphere.
With black soot from pollution covering the ice and algae now starting to grow on it, the permafrost is undertaking a massive change that will only speed up the release of all this trapped CO2.
Luckily, our political masters want to phase out the combustion engine by 2035. I think they might find they are behind the curve ball once again if that is their intentions.
Yes you’re right it’s alarming. From memory the 1600 Giga tons number is for organic carbon rather than CO2. So it’s actually much more if we are counting in CO2 or CO2e. Methane I had a greater effect than CO2.
Permafrost is already contributing to our problems. It raises a very real prospect of runaway warming which is frankly terrifying.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It’s one of the things I read around from IPCC reports a couple of years back.
I find the CO2 level increase quite depressing. We are really some way from turning the tide.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
1,779 Posts
It’s one of the things I read around from IPCC reports a couple of years back.
I find the CO2 level increase quite depressing. We are really some way from turning the tide.
In fact, can we turn the tide at all? Or are we just tinkering with the edges of a natural cycle that will happen anyway?

Not a happy thought but logical, perhaps.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In fact, can we turn the tide at all? Or are we just tinkering with the edges of a natural cycle that will happen anyway?

The natural cycle in the recent past has a peak in the interglacial periods around 280 ppm CO2.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Yes it’s not a nice thought. There could be tipping points (like melting the permafrost) that take 10s of thousands of years to recover back to trend.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
The natural cycle in the recent past has a peak in the interglacial periods around 280 ppm CO2.
But Earth's 'natural cycle' has been running for 4 billion years; the 'interglacial periods' are but the blink of an eye compared to the whole cycle. Really not sure what the actual CO2 peak was before plants started releasing 'poisonous Oxygen' into the atmosphere but suspect it would have been measured in percentages rather than ppm.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
But Earth's 'natural cycle' has been running for 4 billion years; the 'interglacial periods' are but the blink of an eye compared to the whole cycle. Really not sure what the actual CO2 peak was before plants started releasing 'poisonous Oxygen' into the atmosphere but suspect it would have been measured in percentages rather than ppm.
Yes prior to photosynthesis it’s percent and big numbers. Jurassic era CO2 was significantly higher than today perhaps 5x higher.

Doesn’t really help us though when everything alive on the planet today is evolved to live in 60-70% of today’s levels of CO2

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Doesn’t really help us though when everything alive on the planet today is evolved to live in 60-70% of today’s levels of CO2
Not quite everything. There are many plants still flourishing that pre-date much of the rise in O2 (& falls in CO2) levels.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Or are we just tinkering with the edges of a natural cycle that will happen anyway?
There could be tipping points (like melting the permafrost) that take 10s of thousands of years to recover back to trend.
I think it's quite possible we will or have kick(ed) off a 'natural cycle' if the permafrost melts. The idea that we can be having no significant effect is a bit strange.

·
Registered
15,509 Posts
Yes prior to photosynthesis it’s percent and big numbers. Jurassic era CO2 was significantly higher than today perhaps 5x higher.

Trust me, plants will be fine with a warmer climate and increased CO2 levels.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
As a force in the world, yes. But there will be changes in which ones die out, survive or thrive, and where they do that, since the climate will be making many habitats more or less suitable.
Which will also apply to animals, insects, etc.
And humans of course.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes many plants will be fine with more CO2. Many will however struggle with changes in temperature precipitation patterns etc. Plants inhabit environmental niches. If conditions change rapidly not many plants have the mobility to move to a new area with the appropriate niche.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts