Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

61 - 63 of 63 Posts

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Does anyone have any thoughts on molten salt reactors, thorium or non-thorium?

The word "Nuclear" ,rightly or wrongly according to your leanings, gets a bad rap because of the way the world has implemented it using pressure water reactors, but these molten salt reactors look like a significant improvement in every way, and the principles were proven back in the sixties.
Sub-critical thorium reactors are the way to go, in my opinion. They produce a different set of long lived fission products, to uranium cores, which are easier to manage, and turn off the neutron source and the reactor stops. Simple. It's pretty bonkers what we do with slow uranium reactors, and it could only really make sense if the goal was to make a load of plutonium.

Of course, plutonium itself is a fantastic portable energy source, but the idea of everyone having a kilo of the stuff in their basement to generate heat and power for decades at a time is not something that is seen as a particularly wise thing!

·
Registered
355 Posts
And the military uses are probably why funding was cut for those working on these reactors in the early days.

It looks like there are a few startups working on various types of molten salt reactors recently, and I believe the Chinese and India are about to, or already have, deployed a version of this reactor. Albeit, I don't think they are the relatively safe Thorium MSR type.
I hope these reactors make the move to commercial deployment and provide a real clean,low cost and safe alternative to our traditional nuclear.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Does anyone have any thoughts on molten salt reactors, thorium or non-thorium?

The word "Nuclear" ,rightly or wrongly according to your leanings, gets a bad rap because of the way the world has implemented it using pressure water reactors, but these molten salt reactors look like a significant improvement in every way, and the principles were proven back in the sixties.
At this point in time, they're an unnecessary distraction.

We, in the UK and many other parts of the world, are desperate to replace a long list of ageing reactors. This must be done safely, quickly and with some degree of economic efficiency. Without them we will be unable to support our renewable, low-carbon grids and will be forced to utilising further Gas powerplants for the next 20-30 years.

61 - 63 of 63 Posts