Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coal is currently generating 0% of Britain's power. The coal-free run has lasted 40 days and 17 hours so far...
At some point that statement will be wrong... but 40+ days without coal is progress.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Coal is currently generating 0% of Britain's power. The coal-free run has lasted 40 days and 17 hours so far...
At some point that statement will be wrong... but 40+ days without coal is progress.
I know this is sounding like a cracked record, but a headline really newsworthy would be Britain achieves electricity generation gas free fortnight.

When is that going to happen?

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
So coal fired zero percent electricity is really just a sound bite, in inself totally meaningless. Let's look at imported power, is that really zero percent coal free?

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know this is sounding like a cracked record, but a headline really newsworthy would be Britain achieves electricity generation gas free fortnight.

When is that going to happen?
Don’t know but progress is progress and it’s still good news. We could carp and say that it’s happening years after it could have happened but it is at least happening.
Coal’s relatively low hanging fruit in terms of decarbonisation of course but evidently the changes made In 2013 had an impact. Proves st least that progress is possible.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Seems like the 6 months from October to March don't really have coal free days. It might be possible to go without coal for the vast majority of the time until perhaps end of September this year.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also interesting to see high proportion of renewables in many countries. It’s not a huge surprise to see places with lots of mountains having large proportions of renewables. Denmark is largely flat however. Looks like they are well on the way to a switch from coal and gas to renewables. How are they approaching this. Is it all wind or do they import Hydro from somewhere.

·
Registered
750 Posts
The biggest polutters is you and i for cars and heating. An ICE is an inefficient and dirty peace of junk and houses leak energy and we (the country) do not enough about it.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,733 Posts
The biggest polutters is you and i for cars and heating. An ICE is an inefficient and dirty peace of junk and houses leak energy and we (the country) do not enough about it.
Yes, the UK’s ancient housing stock is a real problem.

There are car scrappage schemes, but we seem reticent to pulling down old houses and building modern, more efficient ones.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Yes, the UK’s ancient housing stock is a real problem.

There are car scrappage schemes, but we seem reticent to pulling down old houses and building modern, more efficient ones.
Can you imagine ripping down whole streets of terraced houses?
I wonder if they’re paid to keep them turned off?
No, two major coal powerstations closed at the start of the year, those that remain will only burn at sustained times of high prices (winter, no wind etc).

Plenty of wind generators getting paid to stop generation, though.

·
Registered
71 Posts
So coal fired zero percent electricity is really just a sound bite, in inself totally meaningless. Let's look at imported power, is that really zero percent coal free?
"Zero percent coal free"? :unsure:

Our interconnects are to France (coal free), the Netherlands (not coal free) and Ireland (not coal free). So depending on where we pull from and when, potentially.

See the little dials on this page.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,733 Posts
Looks like lots of the coal power plants contracts are expiring (or have already expired) and aren't getting renewed.

Operations aren't economical, which is the same thing as saying that coal generation is too expenses.

A number of them are being converted to gas or biomass power generation.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Also interesting to see high proportion of renewables in many countries. It’s not a huge surprise to see places with lots of mountains having large proportions of renewables. Denmark is largely flat however. Looks like they are well on the way to a switch from coal and gas to renewables. How are they approaching this. Is it all wind or do they import Hydro from somewhere.
View attachment 130518
Denmark uses Norway as a huge battery, that's how they do it. It's called HVDC Interconnects.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
"Zero percent coal free"? :unsure:

Our interconnects are to France (coal free), the Netherlands (not coal free) and Ireland (not coal free). So depending on where we pull from and when, potentially.

See the little dials on this page.
Keep up, Netherlands is operated with Germany, Poland even where they burn a lot of coal. Continental Electricity system is all interconnected. Same applies to Nemo Belgium link.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
From what I can tell, this is a problem with the national grid infrastructure, not a lack of demand.
Funny how it's never the problem of wind generation...

Do we include the costs of mitigating wind's issues when we say how cheap it is? Strangely not.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
From what I can tell, this is a problem with the national grid infrastructure, not a lack of demand.
[/QUOTE

I have a bee in my bonnet on this one. There are home grown pumped hydro projects, at decent scale that could make serious inroads in CO2 emissions, which have been effectively blocked by UK government policies. Meanwhile they feed the peasants headline like coal free fortnight which the dimw&ta happily pick up on....

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,733 Posts
Funny how it's never the problem of wind generation...

Do we include the costs of mitigating wind's issues when we say how cheap it is? Strangely not.
This is an interesting analysis on the issue. It points out that the National Grid goes to the market and all generators submit bids to stop generating. It's just that wind power is can be the cheapest option. In other cases they will pay coal or gas plants to stop generation.

This is something that the National Grid actively manages and models, and they have the power to grant additional generating capacity or refuse it.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts