Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had always thought we were stuck with KERS 1-3 with no zero regen for coasting.

But a couple of weeks ago, Casper (on the Driving Efficiency thread) said:

"I'm sure you're aware, but in case not, you can get KERS 0 with full coasting by setting ACC to a low speed, eg 20mph and accelerating past that speed - if you then lift off the accelerator voila! - no regen at all.

ACC turns off if you hit the brakes but if you want to go for max efficiency on an open road, avoiding friction braking and regen braking is the ultimate method - just don't run up the arse of the truck you're drafting...."
Pressing the 'Set' button at any speed between 3 and 20mph will set the ACC at 20.

It's great and I've tried it on a few runs (on quests for essentials), but has a few 'quirks and features' and is probably worth a thread of its own.

Firstly, if you try it on a downslope, the car won't allow gravity to accelerate you and will use friction brakes (doh!) to keep whatever speed you had at the top!

To avoid this, you need to turn off ACC at the top of hills, then you have to feather the throttle to avoid regen until you need/want it.

I wish we had flappy paddles to control regen, like wot Hyundais have. It would be a great after-market upgrade.

What does the panel think?

·
Registered
780 Posts
I had always thought we were stuck with KERS 1-3 with no zero regen for coasting.

Pressing the 'Set' button at any speed between 3 and 20mph will set the ACC at 20.

It's great and I've tried it on a few runs (on quests for essentials), but has a few 'quirks and features' and is probably worth a thread of its own.

Firstly, if you try it on a downslope, the car won't allow gravity to accelerate you and will use friction brakes (doh!) to keep whatever speed you had at the top!
This might be a useful way of rubbing off the current accumulation of surface rust on the discs, without needing to find a stretch of motorway behind slower traffic with ACC operating and set for a higher speed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts