Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

Super Moderator
Interesting, so we have 2xchademo, 1xCCS and 1xAC.

Maybe Ecotricity heard all the concerns about Teslas hogging the AC side and dumped it!

Registered
Used the Chademo/AC one today and it worked perfectly. I tried the Chademo/CCS but it failed on the handshake and reported an error! Is it me? I assumed it would work on the Leaf.

Registered
Interesting, so we have 2xchademo, 1xCCS and 1xAC.

Maybe Ecotricity heard all the concerns about Teslas hogging the AC side and dumped it!
seems thats the best arrangement, there are more Chademo cars than others, so put 2 of those and one of each of the other two.

Wonder why they dropped the triple header units ?

Super Moderator
As someone with an engineering background I find it extraordinary that these chargers are not working so soon after installation. I wonder if they actually test them onsite with a real EV :rolleyes:
Hopefully the team doing the work for ecotricity can get themselves an outlander PHEV. That way they can easily get to the locations, sort them out, and then charge up for the trip home! :D

Registered
Used the Chademo/AC one today and it worked perfectly. I tried the Chademo/CCS but it failed on the handshake and reported an error! Is it me? I assumed it would work on the Leaf.
Just to be clear, are you reporting that the Cobham 43kw AC side is not working ?? I'm on a trip to the south coast this weekend and this particular services is strategically important .. Ecotricity's site says its online. But that is not a live update.

I only need 1/3rd of it to work .. ;)

The cost of having a simple electronic monitoring system that regularly SMS's Ecotricity an hourly update is trivial compared to the cost of the entire unit. Why aren't installations like this equipped with some sort of real time feedback ?

I've fitted SMS boards to Arduino applications costing barely 拢10 that could do this. Admittedly theres a bit more to it than that on the server end, but its not rocket science and would drastically improve it for users via a live Ecotricity Roadmap on their mobiles.

Super Moderator
Just to be clear, are you reporting that the Cobham 43kw AC side is not working ?? I'm on a trip to the south coast this weekend and this particular services is strategically important .. Ecotricity's site says its online. But that is not a live update.

The cost of having a simple electronic monitoring system that regularly SMS's Ecotricity an hourly update is trivial compared to the cost of the entire unit. Why aren't installations like this equipped with some sort of real time feedback ?

I've fitted SMS boards to Arduino applications costing barely 拢10 that could do this. Admittedly theres a bit more to it than that on the server end, but its not rocket science and would drastically improve it for users via a live Ecotricity Roadmap on their mobiles.
I suppose the rationale is that the fault will not be apparent until a user tries to use the charger. When that happens, ecotricity expect the user to contact them, to alert them.

Registered

He didn't test the AC side, just the CHAdeMO DC connections on both chargers - the DC/AC charger worked OK, but the DC/CCS didn't.

Reactions: Dave Davies

Registered
Well, here we are having a quick bite to eat at Cobham services whilst planning to get the car fed at the same time. (We're on the outbound leg of a 400 mile round trip this weekend, so a top up somewhere on route is needed.)

I pulled up to the chargers and worryingly noticed the screen had cogs on it and the message 'Anomaly:- Error occurred during charge session" and "log in to stop session". Not good.

A few button jabs later and I had somehow gone into 'administrator mode" with the charger asking for a PIN ... Oops!!

Amazingly, I called the displayed helpline number and got straight through to a very helpful chap. He somehow checked the charger remotely, said it had crashed and remotely reset it. Literally within seconds everything was back to normal and I was able to start the charge process.

Even more interesting was the conversation that followed. Amongst other things he confirmed that all the chargers have been upgraded/bug-fixed, all are monitored remotely, all can be reset etc, and the helpline is 24/7.

Best bit is that their online real-time map is due in about 6/8 weeks .. as well as a mobile app .. and within 2 months the maps will show if a charger is currently occupied = very handy.

If all that happens = Its brilliant news !

( Update: #1 - a i3 owner has just pulled up and is taking pics of both !!

( Update #2 one day later:- Following comments in the 'Beaconsfield' thread where I met a Leaf owner who also saw the 'anomaly' message, I am curious to know if chargers crash when users stop the session by simply pulling their plug out .. instead of terminating the charge session using the buttons on the front of the charger. Anyone else arrived at a charger to see 'Anomaly' or caused it to happen as they stop charging ??)

Attachments

Registered
( Update #2 one day later:- Following comments in the 'Beaconsfield' thread where I met a Leaf owner who also saw the 'anomaly' message, I am curious to know if chargers crash when users stop the session by simply pulling their plug out .. instead of terminating the charge session using the buttons on the front of the charger. Anyone else arrived at a charger to see 'Anomaly' or caused it to happen as they stop charging ??)
<waves hand>Hello Leaf owner!</waves> No, it can't be done using the CHAdeMO DC connection as it's locked into the car. To unlock it you must stop the charging with the card, or wait for the charge to finish. At that point the little red light on the 'gun' goes off and you can disconnect it.

Registered
Forgot to add, did you visit Toddington later in the afternoon? I dropped in to use loo, and noticed the Ecotricity charger there was also showing the Anomaly screen. However, it didn't have the login option, I pressed a button and it went back to the usual start screen. Not sure about the Northbound, but the Southbound charger doesn't ask for an RFID card, so maybe that's why...

Edit: to remove comedy bottom gag. ;)

Registered
Forgot to add, did you visit Toddington later in the afternoon? I dropped in to use loo, and noticed the Ecotricity charger there was also showing the Anomaly screen. However, it didn't have the login option, I pressed a bottom and it went back to the usual start screen. Not sure about the Northbound, but the Southbound charger doesn't ask for an RFID card, so maybe that's why...
Nope, not me. Seems like the 'anomaly' issue is fairly frequent.If Ecotricity now have a 24/7 helpline and remote monitoring of chargers, I guess they are on the case about this ..

... I pressed a bottom ...
Its all happening at public chargers !

21 - 34 of 34 Posts