Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,016 Posts
It's not. Plug heating would affect a few inches of cable at most. For a coiled lead it's a complete red herring. The problem is simply ohmic heating.
You can't say that for sure. It depends on the situation whether the issue is heating, or the capacity to reject heat.

I'd be happy to look at any measurements you have taken of the case the poster referred to.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
The type 2 cable is sufficiently "fat" not to heat up (much, if at all) during charging. I only unwind a couple of turns on my tethered PodPoint enough to reach the car, and it's not caused any problems.

The problem of coiled cables only really applies to 13A extension reels.

·
Registered
597 Posts
OK here's some actual data. 4m of cable coiled as tighly as I could, secured with cable ties.
After about 2 hours charging at 30A
Ambient air temperature 18 deg, so 20 degree rise - nowhere near being a problem.
Surface temp was within 2 degrees of temp measured by themocouples inside bundle.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I think we need the control test with it uncoiled to compare the difference. :)
No we don't - the question we were addressing was does coiling a charge lead present a hazard, not exactly what difference does it make.
And you can also see the temp of the uncoiled section from the scale on the right - around 26 deg.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
21 - 34 of 34 Posts
About this Discussion
33 Replies
14 Participants
ElectricIan
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing