Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading the Bosch article on electdrive Bosch charging network hits 150,000 charge points - electrive.com the image in the article shows a coiled charging cable. Having just started with an EV last week I’ve found my own cable and rapid charge cables to be unwieldy and the cables too short to reach comfortably. Having a coiled cable perhaps with a twisting connect would seem to solve many problems.

why do we not generally see coiled cables?

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Because they are heavy and harder to move into position than equivalent straight cables. We already have two "standard" connectors, adding a twisting connector would create two more and make it harder to find the appropriate one.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Because they are heavy and harder to move into position than equivalent straight cables. We already have two "standard" connectors, adding a twisting connector would create two more and make it harder to find the appropriate one.
perhaps, I would imagine the connector could be located off the plug itself so a port would still be CCS but with a twisting elbow. Changing the entire design might mean changing the car-side port as well so a significant PITA

·
Registered
140 Posts
re' I would imagine the connector could be located off the plug itself so a port would still be CCS but with a twisting elbow.
Problem with that is you would need a rotating flexible or slip ring joint and that would add cost and possibly contact resistance and probably less durability.

·
Registered
BMW 300e 2020 model and Leaf 40kW 2019 model
287 Posts
Reading the Bosch article on electdrive Bosch charging network hits 150,000 charge points - electrive.com the image in the article shows a coiled charging cable. Having just started with an EV last week I’ve found my own cable and rapid charge cables to be unwieldy and the cables too short to reach comfortably. Having a coiled cable perhaps with a twisting connect would seem to solve many problems.

why do we not generally see coiled cables?
A coiled cable in my opinion is pointless because it is longer by the meter, but not offering longer distance from the charger. If the cable is simple straight cable, you can reduce the total length but cover longer distance, so it is both simpler and easier to make. I also prefer that the unused cable rests on the floor or the road, not hanging in the air with all that weight.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
re' I would imagine the connector could be located off the plug itself so a port would still be CCS but with a twisting elbow.
Problem with that is you would need a rotating flexible or slip ring joint and that would add cost and possibly contact resistance and probably less durability.
perhaps a more flexible material just at the connector base? Like a metal sleeve found in plumbing. Same issue of durability I suppose.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
With coiled leads you tend to find if they are stretched out then there is a constant tension on the plugs, plus it requires a lot more cable to cover the same distance.
On a shorter run you have an unholy mess of coiled cable ideal for collecting rain and muck.

It kind of worked with the Twizy but that was a light cable and was stored in the hatch at the front.

Reactions: JohnMars

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With coiled leads you tend to find if they are stretched out then there is a constant tension on the plugs, plus it requires a lot more cable to cover the same distance.
On a shorter run you have an unholy mess of coiled cable ideal for collecting rain and muck.

It kind of worked with the Twizy but that was a light cable and was stored in the hatch at the front.
what was the cable capacity? 5kw?

im going to investigate floor charging pads. This cable business is silly

·
Registered
287 Posts
Exactly. It really only have disadvantages, can really see one single advantage in it. Like the old wired phones, the cable of the handle, if it was coiled type, it would (1) always be a mess and (2) always pulled the table unit towards me unless I was very near the unit. Also, a huge source of irritation when a family member not "untwisted" the twisted coiled cable of the handle after a call... :mad: made me mad...
This is definitely another good point against it. Yes, it collects all sorts of rubbish over time, leaves, spindles insects and everything and is more difficult to clean if you want to wipe it clean.

·
Registered
287 Posts
what was the cable capacity? 5kw?
True for all coiled cables, so the capacity does not matter.
im going to investigate floor charging pads. This cable business is silly
Yes, good point. but somebody must come up with a solution first which works for more than one car at the same time and is safe. It should also be decorative enough, not dominating too much of a driveway with two thick and wide metal rails. I am more for inductive charging, but I don't believe that will be possible in my life time for the general public for home charging. Anyway, retrofitting cars would also be impossible, so I am afraid, we are stuck with cables for a very long time...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Which EV are you thinking of that supports wireless charging?

Are you too posh to plug in?
I must be!

True for all coiled cables, so the capacity does not matter.

Yes, good point. but somebody must come up with a solution first which works for more than one car at the same time and is safe. It should also be decorative enough, not dominating too much of a driveway with two thick and wide metal rails. I am more for inductive charging, but I don't believe that will be possible in my life time for the general public for home charging. Anyway, retrofitting cars would also be impossible, so I am afraid, we are stuck with cables for a very long time...
im not so sure. I attended a conference in 2012 where wireless charging was demonstrated by a company similar to WiTricity. It may even have been them. But I think a few years ago they bought into qualcomm halo who were making the bmw charging pads and formula E safety cars are charged wireless on pads. this year there were trials for retrofitted cars in Nottingham I think. So, it’s not so far away. To remove clutter from the driveway is an idealistic position but it will get there

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
im not so sure. I attended a conference in 2012 where wireless charging was demonstrated by a company similar to WiTricity. It may even have been them. But I think a few years ago they bought into qualcomm halo who were making the bmw charging pads and formula E safety cars are charged wireless on pads. this year there were trials for retrofitted cars in Nottingham I think. So, it’s not so far away. To remove clutter from the driveway is an idealistic position but it will get there
There is also an efficiency loss to consider. Brusa claim losses of 8% with theirs which is better than the ones for mobile which waste around 15%.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
533 Posts
The side charge point, and the whole "cable" idea comes from petrol/diesel cars and is such a missed opportunity. I suppose it was cheap. A visionary might have designed all electric cars with dockable charging ports. Just drive up to the charge point, dock, charge.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I am very sure it is extremely far away for private use, because of the difficulties to transfer the high energy needed for charging EV through an inductive charger. Remember that regardless how you charge, the energy needed to be pumped into the car is the same, and to use traditional cables is considerably cheaper and easier, and I believe that will always be the case in home charging solutions.

Also, what I meant is not special applications, but commercially feasible solutions with possibilities to retrofit previous generations. I would NEVER buy a BMW, or any other brand, if it needed special solutions for charging. Besides, if I'd need to install such an ugly pad on my drive way (not under the stones, but above), which still needs a charge box on the wall then I might as well have the current type of charge boxes with cables, and just plug in my cars every time I need it. Simpler and considerably cheaper. Yes, parking the car over a pad is easy and the most simple of the two, seen from practical usability point, but to plug in the car once a day for charging is not a big deal, and unless you always want a fully charged car, you don't normally need to plug in an EV every day, so really, inductive home charging is not something NEEDED and I would not pay anything extra for that option instead of traditional cable charging.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The side charge point, and the whole "cable" idea comes from petrol/diesel cars and is such a missed opportunity. I suppose it was cheap. A visionary might have designed all electric cars with dockable charging ports. Just drive up to the charge point, dock, charge.
The current solution is simple, flexible, cheap and basically nothing can go wrong with it. A dockable solution means you MUST have a special parking space and "dock" the car, like a lawn mower robot, or a laptop, and I would really not like that. It's OK for small stuff, like the mentioned ones plus some more, but I would not like it for my cars. Same disadvantage as with the inductive charging. So while a visionary person might come up with something DIFFERENT, it is not necessarily same as something BETTER. Not very practical at all. All systems have some disadvantages, but currently, and for a long time to come, wired charging is still the best available option until I can park our cars ANYWHERE and in ANY order on my drive way.

Besides, as I said before, in every solution, you will still need a wall box and for inductive charging a bigger one, so there is no benefit at all in it compared to other solutions.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think if being honest inductive charging won’t happen as long as it’s more inconvenient and more expensive. Innovations often happen when they need to, thats just how electric charging has developed so far. But the objective will most definitely be aiming to get there, not dismissing it out hand because of cost which is just a barrier to overcome rather than a scientific impossibilty

1 - 20 of 43 Posts