Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Off and on for a while, I have been keeping track of how changing driving modes and switching the HVAC system on and off affects the displayed range to empty on the GOM. I do this by cycling through the combinations I am interested in each time we charge. I have two conclusions from this:

1) Displayed R2E in Normal Mode is 105% of R2E in Eco Mode (I don't use Sport, so haven't tracked that.)
2) Turning on the HVAC system knocks 15% off the displayed range in either mode.

These changes don't vary by more than a point each time I do it (i.e. to within rounding errors), so I assume they are programmed into the GOM algorithms.,

The charging progress bar on the info panel displays R2E in Normal Mode, no HVAC. We normally drive in Eco with the HVAC on, so, cranking the handle on those numbers, we now know that estimated R2E for our driving set up is about 89% of the range on the dashboard as we charge. Worth remembering.

Even more interesting of course is how R2E on the GOM relates to actual driven miles, so we've been tracking those as well, but only for significant trips. As we live in Stalag Luft Wales, there haven't been many of those sadly. But in August a 340 mile trip "consumed" 379 miles of displayed R2E, i.e. we achieved 91% of GOM range in our mode.

In September a similar trip, actual miles were 85% of GOM R2E used.

Yesterday, however, we drove 247 miles and "used" 364 miles of GOM R2E. I.e, actual driven mileage was 68% of what the GOM was telling us.

The temperature yesterday was very cold: 2-5C most the time we were driving. The homeward journey was in the dark, and part of the outward journey was in vile driving conditions on top - standing water, sleet, spray high winds, along the stretch of the M4 from Cardiff to the Bridge, and a lot of heavy vehicles on the road causing congestion.

I knew range would suffer in the cold, and yesterday, we had the full package - lights on, wipers on, heater and fan needed, together with bad road conditions. But I was startled at how much range we lost. It was equivalent to range in Eco from a full charge dropping to about 120 miles of actual driving.

Anyone else any experience of cold, bad weather range or any other insights?

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
120 in the depths of winter sounds about right, for a car with 160 WLTP and ~145 real world.

Also, 10/10 for the Stalag Luft Wales reference. Good luck with that - I’ve never been so glad that I left 2 years ago

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Nickel do you really mean

"1) Displayed R2E in Normal Mode is 105% of R2E in Eco Mode (I don't use Sport, so haven't tracked that.)"

To me this means that the Normal mode gives more range than Eco, but despite that you usually drive in Eco mode ?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so R2E = Range?
Yes. Range, remaining range, whatever. How far the guess-o-meter says you can drive before the battery has no more electrons left.:) (I know that isn't what happens.) I think the main info panel is headed Range To Empty, that's why i used it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nickel do you really mean

"1) Displayed R2E in Normal Mode is 105% of R2E in Eco Mode (I don't use Sport, so haven't tracked that.)"

To me this means that the Normal mode gives more range than Eco, but despite that you usually drive in Eco mode ?
No, I don't. I've typed it the wrong way round. Eco gives 5% more than Normal

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
120 in the depths of winter sounds about right, for a car with 160 WLTP and ~145 real world.

Also, 10/10 for the Stalag Luft Wales reference. Good luck with that - I’ve never been so glad that I left 2 years ago
Ok thanks. It really was a depths of winter day on the outward trip certainly!

We were getting 150-160 in the summer/early autumn. I wasn't expecting to lose 20-25% of that. A little hasty replanning of charging stops was needed!

I'm also wondering whether the Adaptive Cruise Control is partly to blame. I'm using it more now, but I keep finding that my speed has dropped well below what I set, because gradually the traffic in front of me has slowed down without me realising. So then I have to speed back up - this is not energy efficient driving as the ACC doesn't use regen, AFAIK. With simple minded cruise control, I'd consciously adjust speed down or pull out and overtake.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Yes, you will see a noticeable reduction using ACC due to the lack of regen.

Reactions: Neilew

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,921 Posts
part of the outward journey was in vile driving conditions on top - standing water, sleet, spray high winds,
I've found the biggest range killer for the MG is wet weather, especially standing water. Down to 2.5 m/kWh on one journey in August (so not cold). Really hot weather can be a killer too on long fast journeys. When we had those few 30c+ days we made a trip down the M6 to Warwick and back. An easy there and back range. Left with a full battery, but about 20 miles out on the return leg the GOM suddenly dropped from having 20 miles over arrival range to 20 under. (AirCon and MGPilot both active)

Zoe didn't seem to be affected this way. In fact, it wasn't really bothered at all by the weather.

Reactions: chrisnsteffie

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
A 20-25% range reduction sounds in the right order for cold & wet conditions. A strong headwind would reduce that further!

In my previous EV, a Leaf 40 I managed 114 miles, which was about 8 miles ‘past’ 0 during Storm Gareth back in March 2019. The WTLP is 168 miles. The GOM is very optimistic in a Leaf, 150+ in winter 😂
(In the Leaf 40 there is a roughly 8% buffer once you reach 0 miles) the MG has none.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Vauxhall Corsa e has a 200+ mile WTLP. I understand that motorway driving at 0°C it has a range of 113 miles! Data from Vauxhall website.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone for your input. I feel mor reassured now. Just change teh planning regime.

We've been trying to remember the effect of cold weather on our C-Zero when we had that, and think it was about the same. But since the range was so low and we used the car as a town runabout anyway, the issue never struck home in the same way.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,093 Posts
The start of cold weather is when I find using A Better Route Planner (especially with 'premium' functions - 30 day free trial link below ;)) to be especially helpful as it just almost eliminates the need to even think about the impact on range.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,881 Posts
I have a corsa E. It's predicting 125 miles at 2C. That's a mix of 70, 60 and 50s. The 113 doesn't look too wrong 😳

It's better than the leaf40 that just lied and showed 140 miles and you'd get about 100 in the same conditions if you were lucky.

A pessimistic but achievable figure is far more useful than some fantasy one.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I still have figures for my diesel engined Volvo that show lower mpg in winter than in Summer. I suspect that very few people record their mpg accurately enough to realise this happens whereas practically all EVs display their guessometer readings all the time.

·
Registered
261 Posts
It get way more than that. On a recent trip I averaged 4.5 efficiency in temperatures averaging 5 degrees Celsius. I drove from Warwick - Abingdon - Oxford - Abingdon - High Wycombe - Aylesbury - Banbury - Warwick and still had over 30 miles left on the GOM. I also regularly drive form Warwick to Leeds in the winter and always do it in one go. The key is very gentle acceleration, only short bursts of the heater, and keep power output under 20% at all times. I find it quicker to drive slower, than drive faster and have to charge.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts