Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 24 kWh Leaf with 45k miles on it and all the SOH bars showing - c.81% SOH on Leafspy if I recall rightly. Yesterday in temperatures around 4 or 5ºC it managed about 30 miles from 79% SOC down to 13% SOC with LED headlights on some of the time and heater some of the time. We live in the Chilterns so quite hilly, but at no time did it exceed 45 mph so it was driven sedately. In my view that is a pretty awful range.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Any long pauses in the 30 miles where the car have coold down and needed to heat back up again?

In winter, I go by 2% every mile. It's not far off from your 66% for 30 miles.

·
Super Moderator
7,234 Posts
I think I got 23 miles from 80% to Very Low Battery Charge yesterday, in my 2011 with 73k miles. It was cold, and wet. The wet is the worst part.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes wyx087, one stop was a shopping visit of about 90 minutes, and the other parked by the roadside at the Aston Rowant Nature Reserve to view this temporary art installation for perhaps an hour, so it most certainly would have cooled twice.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
From experience turning off and on the heating takes more energy than keeping it on all the time.
The energy to recover the temperature from say 15C to 21C is more than the used to keep the temperature at 20C even accounting for the period that you're not using it.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Went from 100% to 44% SOC in 34.5 miles yesterday (and after a lunchbreak was down to 22% SOC at 48.7 miles). Cold and wet to start with, drying up later. Better coming back after a Rapid charge, 80% SOC at 48.7 miles, 17% arriving home at 97.2 miles (48.5 miles for 63% SOC compared with 78% SOC used on the outward journey) - battery temperature was on 5 bars by the time I got home.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Went from 100% to 44% SOC in 34.5 miles yesterday (and after a lunchbreak was down to 22% SOC at 48.7 miles). Cold and wet to start with, drying up later. Better coming back after a Rapid charge, 80% SOC at 48.7 miles, 17% arriving home at 97.2 miles (48.5 miles for 63% SOC compared with 78% SOC used on the outward journey) - battery temperature was on 5 bars by the time I got home.
One other thing that makes a difference
Isn't so much the speed you drive at (within reason) but how you get to the speed. strong acceleration will drain the battery faster than building up the speed slower.
Speed limiter and cruise control will also waste more battery.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How does the limiter waste energy? I appreciate that cruise tries to maintain the set speed in all conditions where you might back off, but limiter?

·
Registered
162 Posts
It might be in the same way as the cruise - it will use regen to slow you down going down hill and the process isn't 100% efficient. What I don't know is whether (conditions and limits allowing) it is more efficient to gain excess speed and hence higher aero losses but store the energy as kinetic energy to use to get up the next hill or overcome aero/mechanical losses on the next flat bit, or whether the regen process is more efficient.

With ICE that don't have regen it is far more efficient to allow the car to gain speed where appropriate, but that may not be the case for EVs.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not sure the limiter slows you down any more than a non-active cruise control does. I'll try it.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
How does the limiter waste energy? I appreciate that cruise tries to maintain the set speed in all conditions where you might back off, but limiter?
I have no idea how. I just know that when you turn it on it does :) will also reduce the range.
I guess, and it is a guess, that while you try to go over the set speed the system will not cut the power you're trying to use but just stops the car from go over.
Give it a go and you will understand. ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
husoi, I have noticed that the crescent of dots that encircle the growing fir tree is affected by the accelerator when the limiter is on or off, but with it on the power is attenuated when the set limit is reached. That is a paradox, but given the vague nature of the Guess-O-Meter I question the true effect of the arc of dots.

·
Registered
605 Posts
That's entirely within realms of normality for a Leaf 24 in these conditions.

Last year on December 23rd we drove ours from rural gloucestershire (newent-ish sort of area) to Exeter and back. Required rapids at Gordano, emergency splash-and-dash at Bridgwater to make planned stop at Taunton Deane, Exeter services, followed by an hour's granny-charging at a Lexus dealer (while testing a car and handing over wads of cash to them), followed by return journey rapids at Bridgwater and Michaelwood. Our SoH was 88%

If your SoH is 81% then you should be missing one capacity bar. If your battery temp started on 3 bars then you will see this sort of range (and reduced performance).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i-s, I have a full set of bars but remember it being one percentage point above losing one. That probably means it's 86% then, from what you said. I shall have to dig out my Leafspy adapter again and check. Didn't notice the battery temperature level I'm afraid. No commercial charging for me except CHAdeMO 'cos I don't have an appropriate lead with type one plug.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It's amazing the difference a warmer battery makes. I did about 10 miles in my 30kWh Leaf this morning in 6 deg C and no rain but a damp road and used 11 per cent of the battery. Then went for a rapid charge, 60 per cent in 20 minutes or so, which took the battery up from what must have been about four bars up to five.

A near-six mile return trip to a supermarket this afternoon, most of it in heavy rain, used only four per cent.

But like others, I've been getting poor mileage, understandable I suppose in this extended, wretched spell of wet, cold weather.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I have no idea how. I just know that when you turn it on it does :) will also reduce the range.
I guess, and it is a guess, that while you try to go over the set speed the system will not cut the power you're trying to use but just stops the car from go over.
Give it a go and you will understand. ;)
I would like to know what car you drive ? and please don't just say 'a leaf'

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
husoi, I have noticed that the crescent of dots that encircle the growing fir tree is affected by the accelerator when the limiter is on or off, but with it on the power is attenuated when the set limit is reached. That is a paradox, but given the vague nature of the Guess-O-Meter I question the true effect of the arc of dots.
My experience is that the speed limiter does help. It prevents the gradual creep of speed above the desired (which saves). I use it mostly on A&M roads. What you gain on the hills you lose on the dips, but in general I find it a good thing. FWIW I just got 41 miles from 100% to ---, on A roads and the M1 and using the heater and AC set to 17oc. This was in two jags with a 2 hour break in between. My car is a 2011 now on 8 bars. So I thought that was good. Was a windy rainy cold day. YMMV..

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Umpa, I believe you may be right - see post #14 above. I have a full set of bars but a duff memory! :oops:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts