Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Picked up my ex Demo ZS EV Executive from Pinkstones MG on Saturday. Came with matts, a fancy boot liner, a type 2 fast charger cable (inc the ridiculously short granny charger???) and a full tank of er.... electricity. Buying a new car is far to easy these days?

Then had a bit of a mission, talk a about baptism by fire. Drove from stoke to stockport, charged overnight before heading to sherwood pines forest to do a bike ride while leaving my car to charge. My first experience of charging on the go didn't go well. According to zap map, there are 2 chargers there but upon arrival, there were barriers preventing me from getting to it. Appears they are on a private holiday park where only guests could gain access, something zap map (or any other website) cared to mention. I had noticed that some chargers are marked as restricted, but this one wasn't so had no reason to believe there would be an issue.Thankfully i had planned to have enough charge left to get me to Sheffield where i had to go that afternoon and had no problem charging up at an Instavolt station outside a Costa. Gave me a chance to have some lunch. Charge was slow though, never saw it go over 28kw.

On the way home to Caernarfon we had to stop once more for a top up, so did so while having some food. This was an ecotricity station and apart from the app on my phone losing connection so i couldn't keep an eye on it but it charged ok, but again, quite slowly. Ecotricity dont seem to say what the KW are but i only got 70 miles more range in 35 minutes? Which didn't seem a lot, although i possibly cant complain because i haven't been charged for it, possibly because the app crashed.?

Car was quite thirsty, but i was doing 70 into a massive head wind so not too concerned.

Very pleased so far, no real complaints. The bings and bongs are far to loud and aggressive, and unnecessary in my opinion (most of them anyway) and you should be able to turn them off. I'm sure i will learn to ignore them.

It does make for a very lazy drive, with all the gadgets and gizmos doing all the work for you, so that's good. Although it would be nice if the car didn't take 20 mins telling me they are turned on every time i start the car.... BING BONG!!

There are some very weird omissions to the spec though, IMO. When you consider the spec list, its got all the fancy stuff, but no auto dimming rear mirror, front parking sensors, back and forth steering adjustments, temp gauge, lumbar support, electric boot lift and no HID/xenon lights. Don't get me wrong, i knew they were not on the car when i bought it, just find it odd they are not there, or at least available?

Speaking of HID's, the lights are a bit rubbish, nothing like as bright as i would like with the amount of country lanes a drive so have ordered some of these, HB3/9005 HIDS4U Stealth 55W Xenon HID Conversion Kit to give them a try. Will report back once i've tried them out.

So mostly good so far and more than happy with the purchase. Although handy hint, if you use the granny charger on a reel extension, dont leave any of it wound on the reel, coz it gets really hot.....OOOOps! (I knew this as well, this is what happens when you try to do these things when you are tired...)

PS... Sport mode is going to get me into trouble...;)?

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
343 Posts
Isn't an aftermarket HID upgrade kit an MoT fail?
As this is a modification should your insurance company be told?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Congratulations on picking up your new EV, you seem to have settled into the "EV" routine rather well.

You mention using ZAPMAP, I always use the "PLUGSHARE" APP as well and always read the "Checkins" usually very good for highlighting those charger that are slow or off limits to the general public.

Happy EVing.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Isn't an aftermarket HID upgrade kit an MoT fail?
As this is a modification should your insurance company be told?
An after market HID would require replacement of the entire light unit to be legal in the UK. It is very unlikely that you can buy this for the EV version of the ZS.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Picked up my ex Demo ZS EV Executive from Pinkstones MG on Saturday. Came with matts, a fancy boot liner, a type 2 fast charger cable (inc the ridiculously short granny charger???) and a full tank of er.... electricity. Buying a new car is far to easy these days?

Then had a bit of a mission, talk a about baptism by fire. Drove from stoke to stockport, charged overnight before heading to sherwood pines forest to do a bike ride while leaving my car to charge. My first experience of charging on the go didn't go well. According to zap map, there are 2 chargers there but upon arrival, there were barriers preventing me from getting to it. Appears they are on a private holiday park where only guests could gain access, something zap map (or any other website) cared to mention. I had noticed that some chargers are marked as restricted, but this one wasn't so had no reason to believe there would be an issue.Thankfully i had planned to have enough charge left to get me to Sheffield where i had to go that afternoon and had no problem charging up at an Instavolt station outside a Costa. Gave me a chance to have some lunch. Charge was slow though, never saw it go over 28kw.

On the way home to Caernarfon we had to stop once more for a top up, so did so while having some food. This was an ecotricity station and apart from the app on my phone losing connection so i couldn't keep an eye on it but it charged ok, but again, quite slowly. Ecotricity dont seem to say what the KW are but i only got 70 miles more range in 35 minutes? Which didn't seem a lot, although i possibly cant complain because i haven't been charged for it, possibly because the app crashed.?

Car was quite thirsty, but i was doing 70 into a massive head wind so not too concerned.

Very pleased so far, no real complaints. The bings and bongs are far to loud and aggressive, and unnecessary in my opinion (most of them anyway) and you should be able to turn them off. I'm sure i will learn to ignore them.

It does make for a very lazy drive, with all the gadgets and gizmos doing all the work for you, so that's good. Although it would be nice if the car didn't take 20 mins telling me they are turned on every time i start the car.... BING BONG!!

There are some very weird omissions to the spec though, IMO. When you consider the spec list, its got all the fancy stuff, but no auto dimming rear mirror, front parking sensors, back and forth steering adjustments, temp gauge, lumbar support, electric boot lift and no HID/xenon lights. Don't get me wrong, i knew they were not on the car when i bought it, just find it odd they are not there, or at least available?

Speaking of HID's, the lights are a bit rubbish, nothing like as bright as i would like with the amount of country lanes a drive so have ordered some of these, HB3/9005 HIDS4U Stealth 55W Xenon HID Conversion Kit to give them a try. Will report back once i've tried them out.

So mostly good so far and more than happy with the purchase. Although handy hint, if you use the granny charger on a reel extension, dont leave any of it wound on the reel, coz it gets really hot.....OOOOps! (I knew this as well, this is what happens when you try to do these things when you are tired...)

PS... Sport mode is going to get me into trouble...;)?
Why are you moaning about stuff that is not fitted.For goodness sake get a life this car is a bargain at the price when you consider what equipment you actually get.Why didn't you pay an extra £10.000 and get a Tesla or a Kia e Nero it seems to me what ever you buy you will pick fault with it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why are you moaning about stuff that is not fitted.For goodness sake get a life this car is a bargain at the price when you consider what equipment you actually get.Why didn't you pay an extra £10.000 and get a Tesla or a Kia e Nero it seems to me what ever you buy you will pick fault with it.
Wow, that's a little unnecessary??

All i was doing was sharing my first experience with the car. I was not moaning about anything?? Don't think was there is any need to attack me? I thought this was a friendly site.???

·
Registered
276 Posts
Generally a very friendly site - we are the type of people that buy the MG 😄

Sometimes people do get a defensive of the ZS EV, which I think is what happened here. Don't take offence, we are all pleased you have taken the plunge and bought what is a very good EV.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Generally a very friendly site - we are the type of people that buy the MG 😄

Sometimes people do get a defensive of the ZS EV, which I think is what happened here. Don't take offence, we are all pleased you have taken the plunge and bought what is a very good EV.
I do love the car, but pretty sure i am allowed to have some things that bother me about it? As would be the case with any other car.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Most annoying thing I have found is that the door panels appear to be made out of some kind of playdoh from my kids toy box. Some donut dinged my door in a car park (obviously leaving no note) and I have a decent little dent and missing paint :( 😖😑

·
Registered
195 Posts
Wow, that's a little unnecessary??

All i was doing was sharing my first experience with the car. I was not moaning about anything?? Don't think was there is any need to attack me? I thought this was a friendly site.???
Most annoying thing I have found is that the door panels appear to be made out of some kind of playdoh from my kids toy box. Some donut dinged my door in a car park (obviously leaving no note) and I have a decent little dent and missing paint :( 😖😑
Tonoworiesuk. Dont take offence I was not attacking you but to me you came over as some one who was being very negative about the car you just bought you get what you pay for.Just lighten up and be happy with your great little car,Have a nice day.😉

·
Zoe Devotee
9,112 Posts
Agreed. The bongs and illegal horn sounding get me annoyed.

What illegal horn sounding? Do you mean the short semi toots it does when you leave your key in the car or don't close the boot properly when locking car? Easy solution for that...lol

As for the earlier headlights comments, I think everyone is being a bit unfair. Ok so they ain't LEDs but they are way better than the MK1 Zoe, those genuinely were candles. In Zoe with HIDS they were good but dodgy, I tried night breakers in Zoe and they still weren't brilliant. But I found a semi-no-name brand "Ultra" who made white bulbs which worked pretty well in Zoe, actually a decent upgrade, not far off dodgy HIDS. So I've tried Ultras in the MG and they are pretty decent, much whiter (but not bluey) than the yellowish bulbs the car comes with.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,112 Posts
Reactions: Neilew

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Ouch !.
I absolutely HATE super market car park spaces, they give me the 💩 's.
It's easy to spot my car, it's the only car parked right down in the bottom corner of an almost empty car park, or it's parked in a street next to the super market.
Having that dent would drive me mad, can you not have the dent pushed out, then touch in the paint work ?.
You need to restore the paint in order to avoid rust setting in anyway.
What colour is your car @Boatgeek
Last week I did managed to locate a MG "Dynamic Red" touch up kit, about £15 I think it was ?.
Two small containers in the box, one has base coat ( colour ) and the second box contains the protective lacquer.
It's been a habit of mine for years now, I always order in a touch up set when I have received a new car.
If the paint damage is small, try using wooden cocktail sticks to apply the paint etc.
You can control the volume of paint you apply to the panel better than using the bushes that come inside the touch up pens.
Build up the layers very slowly and allow each coat to fully dry first.
If the car is white, the repair will be almost impossible to detect after !.
Get a good "Dent Man" though.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,112 Posts
And then when someone gets out the back door first ?
Never had that issue, I guess having 2 young kids helps. Why not just turn on the child locks and then no one can get out before you? ;)

Reactions: John Weatherley

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
And then when someone gets out the back door first ?
You right John.
If my wife leaves the car first before pulling onto our drive, then I park the car and leave.
You end up getting that triple pap of the horn when leaving the car.
I think, like a lot of things on the ZS EV - there is a work around ?.
I will see if I can find the video covering it !.

·
Registered
235 Posts
The dent is more of a little nick, like it was caused by something pointed rather than something with a large surface areas. £15 is better than the £25 quoted for the blue touch up kit by my local dealer. I hate their price gouging. Perhaps I could exchange the kit for some toilet roll :unsure:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts