Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hunt for a B250e continues and there is a car that ticks almost all the right boxes including the range extender but I have been discounting it as it's 200 miles away. Given the MB doesn't rapid charge I assumed would be too big a challenge but now I'm thinking it might be possible. Getting there is easy via train but I'd like to get some advice about the reality of driving it home and specifically how long it would take.

The journey would be from west of Sheffield down to Guildford in Surrey. I'd look to sign up with Polar/Ecotricity/Others before doing it. I could trek down the M1/M25/A3, a journey that Google thinks is 184 miles. Or I could route away from the motorways and come via Leamington Spa and Oxford but that's still going to involve dual carriageways and is 200 miles.

As I understand it, the best a B250e can take is 11kw and will take 4 - 5 hours to charge from empty. So with 180 miles to cover and assuming it's fully charged when I set off this feels like I would need to stop twice for about 3 hours at a time as I'd probably look to stop every 75 miles or so. I'd obviously need to find 11kw or better chargers en route, but that doesn't seem to be an issue. That said on a recent drive from Edinburgh I noted that most motorway services restrict you to only staying on site for 2 hours before charging you for parking. That applies to EVs as well I assume? Anybody any experience with their B250e of this.

So I'm up for the challenge, but are my assumptions valid? If yes then it sound like it's going to take 9 hours to get home, but once here I don't imagine it'll ever need to do a journey like that again.

Thanks.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Good man! It’s absolutely achievable. Your sums are bang on, the B250e charges at up to 11kw so you’re looking at a maximum of 4 hours from empty to full on a 11kw upwards post / rapid.

Try and stop in Milton Keynes where you have more chargers than you can shake a stick at. You can literally choose which one you like best!

Just make sure that the car is fully charged (with the range extender on beforehand) before you pick it up. Arriving to find it empty will be a massive headache that you can avoid.

It needs a bit of planning and plenty of plan Bs (and Cs!) but just enjoy. I regularly did 140 miles a day for work in mine without an issue (once in the summer on a full charge!)

Enjoy. The B250e is a great car.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's a black one at a Mercedes dealer in Stockport. That is slightly closer.
Thanks. Sadly my wife (who this car is for) has ruled out black and grey. There's a really nice grey one with cream leather out there, but she's adamant that it needs to be blue or white.

There's a really nice white one in Cardiff, a scant 140 miles way but it's nearly £19k which feels like a lot given there's posts on here from 2016 about people paying £18k for cars with 5k miles at less than a year old!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good man! It’s absolutely achievable. Your sums are bang on, the B250e charges at up to 11kw so you’re looking at a maximum of 4 hours from empty to full on a 11kw upwards post / rapid.

Try and stop in Milton Keynes where you have more chargers than you can shake a stick at. You can literally choose which one you like best!

Just make sure that the car is fully charged (with the range extender on beforehand) before you pick it up. Arriving to find it empty will be a massive headache that you can avoid.

It needs a bit of planning and plenty of plan Bs (and Cs!) but just enjoy. I regularly did 140 miles a day for work in mine without an issue (once in the summer on a full charge!)

Enjoy. The B250e is a great car.
Thanks for confirming and the tip about Milton Keynes. Re the range extender, the owner of this car I am enquiring about has said that the range extender needs to be activated before charging, which is what you are saying too I think? had previously I assumed you activated it when you were getting low on miles to give you a further 15 miles or so.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
There's a really nice white one in Cardiff, a scant 140 miles way but it's nearly £19k which feels like a lot given there's posts on here from 2016 about people paying £18k for cars with 5k miles at less than a year old!
Feb 2017 you could have ordered a brand new one for 20 grand.

I did (delivered May 2017) and sold it at 26 months old for just over 15 grand straight to a dealer (I know I could have gotten an extra grand or so in a private sale but couldn't be arsed with the hassle!).

The demand for EVs now comfortably outstrips supply.

This Cardiff one is one of the very very last built on a 67-plate.

Prefer the Sport to the Electric Art with 17" wheels and none of the pseudo-bling but if you're looking to keep the car a few years, a 67-plate maybe makes the most sense.

·
Registered
224 Posts
My hunt for a B250e continues and there is a car that ticks almost all the right boxes including the range extender but I have been discounting it as it's 200 miles away.
What a coincidence, that is very close to my first journey in my B250e!
I bought from Leeds and live near Guildford. It took all day, driving at around 65mph or 56mpg, 20 foot behind a lorry, when I was down to my last few electrons five miles north of Newport Pagnell. The range extender tops the battery up further so needs to be activated before or during charging. I used the motorway route and found two 22 kW 3 phase chargers on the way. Takes about three hours to charge on one of these. If you search on Zap Mp with the correct filters applied you will see that there are a few on or near the main motorway route. I travelled on a Sunday when anyone can use the 22kW CYC / polar charger at Ilkeston Hospital and then got a free charge at Newport Pagnell services (EH). It did take months for the EH card that is required to active that charger to arrive but I was able to borrow one. There is a 2 hr limit but you can pay £10 to stay longer. I did not see the signs and got a £60 fine instead. The risk is arriving at a charger to find it in use or broken in which case you are stuffed.

·
Registered
328 Posts
If the logistics are problematic there are also companies that will collect on a trailer for you and deliver it home - might be an alternative?

·
Registered
373 Posts
I drove from Horsham (not far from Guildford) to Sheffield last week (198 miles) in my Kia e-Niro. Can’t give you advice on charging as it wasn’t an issue for me. However, the M25 and M1 can be a bit of a nightmare at certain times of day. I set off very early in the morning to avoid commuter traffic. Not driven the Merc but looks a good car. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
10,187 Posts
We collected ours from York and drove it to Newbury. Stopping at MK was key as there are so many rapid chargers we could arrive almost on empty and blocking one for hours wasn't a problem. Watch the overstay fees though, charge to just under any limit, then start again. We used one near Wetherspoons for just under 2 hours.

We drove slowly and with a "range plus" charge (an important option IMO) we found it was tedious but doable. Cost to deliver would have been £1 a mile :rolleyes:

Note that to charge on a rapid you may need to hold the plug up while you start charge as car wasn't designed for the heavy 44kW cables.

·
Paul Harrington
32 Posts
It will be an adventure. A bit like my experience back in February of this year. I live near Abergavenny in South Wales and my new B250e Electric Art was 120 miles away near Birmingham Airport. Being wary of the charging situation I gave the car dealer step by step instructions regarding extended charging well ahead of time and suggested at least 20 hours charging time.
On arrival in Birmingham courtesy of my wife in her Abarth 595, you can appreciate my concern when the guy told me that the car had been 'on charge' for 16 hours, and that he had found the charging cables and had 'joined them' in order to charge the car. Joined the charging cables???? Yes he had tried to connect the 3 pin granny charger cable to the Type 2 to Type 2 cable......the inevitable result...no charging. I then discovered that on a cold rainy and ever darkening February Saturday that we had 120 miles to travel home with......16 miles of expected range! Having left Birmingham at around 3pm we got home at 11.30pm having charged wherever and whenever we could on the way back.
My tip ensure that you give clear instructions to the garage or dealer well in advance explaining what needs to be done in order to give you the most range. Also use E+ and D+ while on the motorway, find lorries doing a steady 55-60mph and latch onto to the back to hypermile...it does work and can increase your miles/kw significantly. Use heated seats rather than heater and drive on sidelights for as long as possible. Most importantly plan your return route on something like ZapMap or A Better Route Planner ( this site now includes the B250e)....and of course enjoy the journey. Good Luck

·
Registered
58 Posts
When I bought my B it was only 50 miles from my home, but the route between is very hilly. I also told the dealer to charge the car before I was going to pick it up. They plugged it in for 3 hours. It had a total of like 32 miles of range when I got it. I was also very new to finding charging locations so when I reached the nearest charger I had 8 miles of range left. I charged for 2 hours before driving the rest of the way home. It was not a great start for sure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts