Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at replacing our other car and would like a BEV again.
1st car is an outlander PHEV and looking to swap the wife's car.
I would be looking at around 1-2 years old with mileage under 10k.
So far the only 3 I can see coming close are the MG ZS EV (exclusive), the e golf and the Leaf (tekna).
we have previously had a leaf which was a great car but only a 24kw so range became an issue. We already have a wall charger installed at home.
I'd be looking at a personal loan so would be a cash buyer. (the loan would probably be 4-5 years so something to consider with warranties etc) I wouldn't want to lease a battery. Need a range of around 100-120 usable miles including in winter, nit just in nicer weather.
Although I can stretch to about 20k, I'd prefer to be closer to the lower end of the money.

Is there anything else out there that I'm missing or should also consider. (the Zoe and Mii are probably too small)

I'm tempted by the MG due to price vs age/mileage and the long warranty.

I like the golf although in my price range they're older with more miles but I imagine the build quality is better than the MG and it would depreciate less but they seem to have short warranties.

The leaf would be a real contender as we loved the old one.

What's your thoughts and is there any other factors I've missed that I should also consider when weighing up my options?

spending this much I'm a bit hesitant with a private sale so would prefer something that gives me some comeback if there are any issues.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
AT have a Hyundai Ioniq Premium in black, 2019 with 5yr warranty, 9k miles. I think 2019 was the last yr for the 28 kWh one. These are extremely aerodynamic, so 120 miles in winter is not a problem. I have the 38 kWh one, same year mfr, and managed a 160 mile trip in winter with 40 miles left on the GOM! Was my 1st long trip so hypermiled behing HGVs, but shows what's possible. 28 kWh is genuine useable, and the efficiency means it's comparable to a 35 kWh of just about anything else. My result would scale down to 147 miles in the 28er. So that's 135 miles v gentle driving, reserve of 12 miles, wet weather around 10C temp.

Charges really fast - see chart below.

The 38 I have is liquid-cooled, uses same cells as Kona 2019, so will be getting a battery recall someday! But the 28 is fine, different chemistry, not affected by the recall. It's also active air cooled, no Rapidgate probs, also no expensive cooling liquid change after 4-5 years like the 38 gets! It's a super car, mine's really comfy, and v well equipped. Well worth a look!

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-de...nclude-delivery-option=on&make=HYUNDAI&page=2

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,928 Posts
Is there anything else out there that I'm missing or should also consider. (the Zoe and Mii are probably too small)
Have you driven a Zoe?

Much bigger than they appear - effectively the same internal space as a Clío.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you driven a Zoe?

Much bigger than they appear - effectively the same internal space as a Clío.
I've not driven one but a neighbour had one which I looked at. at 6'3" getting enough rear leg room for passengers is a struggle.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AT have a Hyundai Ioniq Premium in black, 2019 with 5yr warranty, 9k miles. I think 2019 was the last yr for the 28 kWh one. These are extremely aerodynamic, so 120 miles in winter is not a problem. I have the 38 kWh one, same year mfr, and managed a 160 mile trip in winter with 40 miles left on the GOM! Was my 1st long trip so hypermiled behing HGVs, but shows what's possible. 28 kWh is genuine useable, and the efficiency means it's comparable to a 35 kWh of just about anything else. My result would scale down to 147 miles in the 28er. So that's 135 miles v gentle driving, reserve of 12 miles, wet weather around 10C temp.

Charges really fast - see chart below.

The 38 I have is liquid-cooled, uses same cells as Kona 2019, so will be getting a battery recall someday! But the 28 is fine, different chemistry, not affected by the recall. It's also active air cooled, no Rapidgate probs, also no expensive cooling liquid change after 4-5 years like the 38 gets! It's a super car, mine's really comfy, and v well equipped. Well worth a look!

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-de...nclude-delivery-option=on&make=HYUNDAI&page=2

View attachment 142301
Thanks Andy, sadly that particular car is 200 miles away from me. I will look again and include the Hyundai.

·
Registered
432 Posts
You can get a brand new MG5 Excite for just under £20k. Well worth getting a test drive. You won't find better range for the money. You can also get a new ZS for a similar price. MG are doing massive discounts right now.

·
Registered
889 Posts
You can get a brand new MG5 Exclusive for £21500 - a far better be than the Excite - and a 218 mile range so 160-180 in winter?

·
Registered
432 Posts
You can get a brand new MG5 Exclusive for £21500 - a far better be than the Excite - and a 218 mile range so 160-180 in winter?
I've got an Exclusive. It's obviously over the OP's budget but the extra seemed worth it to me. I'm averaging about 160 miles total range with a fair amount of sitting around running the heater while not driving. It's way better when temperatures are over 10 degrees.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've got an Exclusive. It's obviously over the OP's budget but the extra seemed worth it to me. I'm averaging about 160 miles total range with a fair amount of sitting around running the heater while not driving. It's way better when temperatures are over 10 degrees.
Thanks both. The wife isn't a fan of estate cars and we're already at the top end of our budget.
we have been to drive a ZS today and I was more impressed than I though I'd be. Not sure if that was me going in with low expectations or if the car genuinely impressed.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Go and drive it again.

If you are still impressed, not your “expectations” have altered it’s clearly a good car. If you are then disappointed... well maybe it was just low expectations after all....

·
Registered
432 Posts
Thanks both. The wife isn't a fan of estate cars and we're already at the top end of our budget.
we have been to drive a ZS today and I was more impressed than I though I'd be. Not sure if that was me going in with low expectations or if the car genuinely impressed.
People seem to like the ZS, dodgy BMS aside (now fixed). The winter motorway range at 70mph is more like 100 miles in the worst conditions whereas the MG5 is 140 miles worst case and generally about 40% more than the ZS.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,064 Posts
Be wary of folk pushing their opinions. Try the cars you've mentioned, they're all good but different. Buy the one you like, you won't go wrong with any of them. But worth noting MG are currently honouring the govt grant until the end of the month, so long as you order/receive the car by then. MG have stock of the ZS and 5 at most dealers apparently. Plenty of 6+month ZS models at great prices. But then all of the cars you mentioned are available at a year old or so at good prices.

Reactions: WonkoTheSaneUK

·
Registered
889 Posts
Be wary of folk pushing their opinions. Try the cars you've mentioned, they're all good but different. Buy the one you like, you won't go wrong with any of them. But worth noting MG are currently honouring the govt grant until the end of the month, so long as you order/receive the car by then. MG have stock of the ZS and 5 at most dealers apparently. Plenty of 6+month ZS models at great prices. But then all of the cars you mentioned are available at a year old or so at good prices.
Totally agree with that.

Above all though make sure you buy the range you need - nothing worse than having to constantly recharge middle of journey - I have only had to do it a couple of times and I’m happy with that cos I bought something with more range than I thought I’d need 90% of the time.

·
Registered
VW e-Golf
13 Posts
Hi just bought a 2.5 year old e-Golf with just over 12,000 miles on the clock. Got it for a good price from a VW dealership and they have an offer for 2 years warranty, breakdown and 2 years servicing so very pleased with.

Love the fact that it looks normal rather than some of the EV's out there and drives really nicely.

·
Registered
889 Posts
e-Golfs are lovely cars, just not the best range. Again, if the range is ok for your uses it's great.

My Mum could have an electric car with a 4 mile range and it would be enough! - Everyone is different.

·
Registered
VW e-Golf
13 Posts
e-Golfs are lovely cars, just not the best range. Again, if the range is ok for your uses it's great.

My Mum could have an electric car with a 4 mile range and it would be enough! - Everyone is different.
Yes. I have a real world range of 100 - 125 miles and when I get back to work then I'll be doing a round trip of 70 miles so well within range. A couple of fast charge points have also been installed on route so if in and emergency I can use them for a top up.

·
Registered
889 Posts
If you can charge at work (even a granny cable) it will help a lot too. I have a relatively short commute (15 miles or so) and a Granny cable during the day gives me 100% charge by the end of the day to go home and back, and then be back at 100% again. So if you can grab a 3pin at work that may be all you need?

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,900 Posts
Corsa Es are just starting to dip under the £20k. Might be too small. The elite nav is a better spec so check if the SE Nav is missing something you want. The MGs don't have remote pre condition or timed charging.

The Leaf 40s are also under £20k a lot more now.

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life 58kWh
489 Posts
On paper the Golf would struggle to get 100 miles in winter (might be ok if you find one with a heat pump) both the ZS and the Leaf should be good for 100 miles in winter but they might struggle to get to 120 without some very careful driving. This is assuming mixed driving conditions of course none of these will do 100 miles @ 70+ on a motorway in winter and I doubt they'd get 120 miles @ 70+ in the summer too.

As HandyAndy has said the Ioniq is another option it has slightly more range than the Golf but maybe a little less than a leaf but the batteries are air cooled so I'd think a second hand Ioniq would probably have more real world range than a leaf that would probably have more battery degradation. I'd pick the Ioniq or ZS over the Leaf personally but none of them are bad cars.

Another option would be the ID3 Pure, now I know the RRP is £25k+ but you can get some pretty big discounts on the ID3 and if those carry over to the Pure model you could pick one up for less than £20k which would be an absolute steal it should be out in just a few months now.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,172 Posts
Whichever you end up with, I would measure the options compared to the leaf 40kWh. Should be plenty about for £15k - £18k. The Leaf will never beat all the alternatives in every area but it is solid, comfortable, large enough, has good performance and plenty of gizmos if you want them. Chademo should not be an issue for the next 10 years.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts