Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had many sudden ghost stops when Leaf sensors misinterpreted an obstacle while in moving traffic . Another thing was Collision warning ⚠ light coming on while in the settings showing as ON . Lastly , our first long drive after lockdown we turned on the pro pilot in the 50 mile an hour stretch of the motorway and car lost power , was rolling and slowing down and warning ⚠ came on about sensor not activated . Shouted at hubby to turn pro pilot off and then power came back Luckily, roads were mostly empty ... Finally today car is at Nissan garage and they just phoned to say no abnormalities detected during software tests and will take it to the motorway to see if fault appears . Could anyone care to help me out here as what’s likely to be happening?

· Premium Member
2014 Model S
10,106 Posts
Front radar probably. There was a recall/TSB on some of the Leaf 40s. I'd bet the dealer will have no idea about it.

I had mine chuck up a warning but I think it was the weather and someone hurling themselves around a roundabout right in front of the car. It had a warning for several minutes after, then it just cleared. It's not done anything untoward really since then.

· Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Front radar probably. There was a recall/TSB on some of the Leaf 40s. I'd bet the dealer will have no idea about it.

I had mine chuck up a warning but I think it was the weather and someone hurling themselves around a roundabout right in front of the car. It had a warning for several minutes after, then it just cleared. It's not done anything untoward really since then.
Thanks for that -will do some more research into front radar and recall.

· Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just got phone call from Nissan saying that after test drive couldn’t find any faults and when I mentioned photo( above) got put on hold and after told , “ ok collect your car today , we will order new radar under warranty, will book you in when ready “ 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️
I find that fault has potential to cause an accident so quite concerning that been treated casually...

· Registered
1,715 Posts
My 40kWh N-Connecta Pro Pilot was recalled some time last year for that fault; I’d make sure that not only do they do whatever they think they need to do the the radar but they also do whatever the recall was.

· Registered
208 Posts
If the fault showed in a a road works section with temporary barriers and overprinted lane markings it was the system confused by the markings and barriers.

Nissan recalibrate radar if it’s set too high under warranty. It takes about two hours. That can reduce ghosting but it can still occur in rain or low sunlight so driver must be alert.
Pro pilot in motorway roadworks with narrow lanes shouldn’t be used unless you have very quick reactions. If it reads the old lane markings and the temporary ones it either brakes or follows old lane marking if they are more legible than temp marks.

Please be extra cautious for everyone’s safety. Junction 14 on M6 south is the one both my leafs can’t cope with so use human pilot.

· Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh -
4,483 Posts
I will reiterate that advice, if you are going through road works, do not use the auto steer function, it will pick up on old markings and cannot cope with narrow lanes. I learned this early days when it picked up on burnt out road markings and tried to take me through a concrete barrier.

I usually use the auto pilot through 50mph restricted road works as it works as a smart cruise control, but not the auto steer function.

· Registered
45 Posts
On a couple of trips to Spain and Germany recently I have felt that Pro pilot reacts differently when driving on the right.

For example, in the UK, if I let PP slow down behind an HGV while waiting for a gap in the overtaking lane, when I indicate to pull out, the car accelerates fairly quickly. In Europe it feels more sluggish. Is this a real effect or just some weird confirmation bias?

Also, it sometimes feels like it detects the central barrier as being in my lane if the road curves to the right when in the outside lane of a RHD motorway. Does the PP have some kind different behaviour depending which side of the road you are on?

· Registered
10 Posts
Our 2019 Tekna 40kWh is a nightmare for ghost braking events. It's been back to the dealer prior to first service in 2020 but no significant change (even if they actually did the radar recalibration - Thanks @Troy )
I can recreate the warning regularly in our village at night on a gentle bend, driving alongside filtered traffic in town usually triggers an emergency braking event but luckily we have never been hit from behind. Yet.
This contributes to our decision not to get a 3rd Leaf (or another Nissan) - the poor quality of the automation and the arcade-game ergonomics of the dashboard. We switch off adaptive cruise, lane assist, auto wipers, auto headlights to name a few as the technology is not up to the mark. The App is a disaster of software engineering too. Shame but there is at last a decent range of other vendors out there.
So, in short, we put up with the problem as Nissan dont offer a channel for improvement or comment :-(

· Registered
1,314 Posts
Our 2019 Tekna 40kWh is a nightmare for ghost braking events. It's been back to the dealer prior to first service in 2020 but no significant change (even if they actually did the radar recalibration - Thanks @Troy )
I can recreate the warning regularly in our village at night on a gentle bend, driving alongside filtered traffic in town usually triggers an emergency braking event but luckily we have never been hit from behind. Yet.
This contributes to our decision not to get a 3rd Leaf (or another Nissan) - the poor quality of the automation and the arcade-game ergonomics of the dashboard. We switch off adaptive cruise, lane assist, auto wipers, auto headlights to name a few as the technology is not up to the mark. The App is a disaster of software engineering too. Shame but there is at last a decent range of other vendors out there.
So, in short, we put up with the problem as Nissan dont offer a channel for improvement or comment :-(
A lot of that suggests that the calibration has not been done right. You could try another Nissan dealer or maybe even an Autoglass, as they are able to do the calibration when they replace windscreens.

· Registered
372 Posts
When you say you can recreate it with a filter lane next to you are there cars in the lane or does it happen when there are no cars in the lane?. Are they travelling in the same direction as you or coming towards you? Could it be that as it is on a a bend at night headlights temporarily dazzle the camera? Have also heard of ghost breaking on other car forums In a certain place, radio interference could be a possibility but would expect that to happen in the day also
As you know the location of these events it can be contracted by pressing the go pedal if safe to do so to minimize the slow down

· Registered
10 Posts
A lot of that suggests that the calibration has not been done right. You could try another Nissan dealer or maybe even an Autoglass, as they are able to do the calibration when they replace windscreens.
Thanks @GarryL, didnt know Autoglass could do this but stands to reason as they needed 3hrs to replace the windscreen recently at depot. Which I thought was weird at the time that they needed so long and could not be done on the driveway...

· Registered
10 Posts
When you say you can recreate it with a filter lane next to you are there cars in the lane or does it happen when there are no cars in the lane?. Are they travelling in the same direction as you or coming towards you? Could it be that as it is on a a bend at night headlights temporarily dazzle the camera? Have also heard of ghost breaking on other car forums In a certain place, radio interference could be a possibility but would expect that to happen in the day also
As you know the location of these events it can be contracted by pressing the go pedal if safe to do so to minimize the slow down
Thanks @GMat & @Troy , I should have been more specific but yes I've tried everything including a new windscreen :). The bend was just a daily repeatable example, the filtering I mentioned is when filtering left with stationary lined traffic to my right (but sometimes the other way around). I just dont feel the Nissan technology is developed enough, it ticks the boxes at vehicle selection time but it is the in-life experience which reveals the limitations.
I would say to others though, dont take my word for it, test drive a car for 24hrs or more (and Nissan are good with this) and test the heck out of the automated features. You may be a load less fussy than me :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts