Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be useful for anyone considering purchasing a Nissan Leaf as I had the chance to compare both an Acenta and a Tekna and noted the quite noticeable differences in the two models when comparing ride comfort.

Firstly the Tekna, the one will all the bells and whistles, comes with 17" wheels and 50 profile tyres. As the Leaf tyre pressures are pretty high compared to most other cars, to reduce rolling resistance, the ride difference and pothole bump/thump is quite noticeably harsher and louder than in the Acenta with its 16" wheels and 55 profile tyres.

Secondly, the Tekna comes with an absolutely gorgeous leather interior - very high end and looks to be hard wearing. The Acenta comes with cloth interior and the seats seem to soak you up and are quite soft.
This seems to make the Acenta a smoother riding car as the seats absorb some of the bumps whereas the leather seats are much firmer in the Tekna.

Cornering at speed does seem slightly tighter in the Tekna but both cars have great roadholding - quite good when you often approach a corner a little faster due to the quiet running nature of the car :)

This is based upon driving on the pretty poor roads of Malta and so it might be less noticeable on the velvet smooth roads of the UK (y)

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Yes you are quite right, having owned a Mk1 Leaf and now a Tekna the Tekna is less comfortable, the Mk1 suspensions was much softer and the seats more comfortable, the ride was much smoother, tuned for the Japanese market so I am told.

The Tekna is a much firmer ride, the steering is nowhere near as light as the MK1, I only got the Tekna because the Deal was so close to the Acenta that it wasnt worth not doing it however I find the cloth interior more comfortable, overall I much prefer the MK1 in terms of the drive and the MK1 accelerates faster, there is lots to like about the Tekna though, the round view monitor on its own for me overrides the negatives.

I also can not find any reason to upgrade to the Tekna to get the Bose sound system it sounds no better than the MK1 stereo and in fact if it was my car the sub woofer would come out of the boot as its pointless and makes no difference to the sound, its just taking up boot space.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Secondly, the Tekna comes with an absolutely gorgeous leather interior - very high end and looks to be hard wearing. The Acenta comes with cloth interior and the seats seem to soak you up and are quite soft.
This seems to make the Acenta a smoother riding car as the seats absorb some of the bumps whereas the leather seats are much firmer in the Tekna.
The seats are exactly the same density, only the skin is different, everything underneath is the same, the Tekna is no firmer than the Acenta.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I drove both 24kwh Acenta & 30kwh Tekna back to back.

The Acenta felt too soft & squishy for me, the seats in the Tekna felt frirmer, may ne purely due to the less compliant nature of leather however.

I never knew I NEEDED a heated steering wheel.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The Heated Seats and 360 degree view were a seller for me. Didnt even look at a lower grade than Tekna but I am a bit concerned about the 17" alloys and potential damage to them and the cost of winter tyres.

J

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,323 Posts
In trying to persuade my wife to switch from her Qashqai 360 I had no choice but to go for a Tekna. Having had the 360 cameras on her Qashqai it was a positive selling point that a new Leaf would still have them. The heated steering wheel and heated seats also helped.

She is still moaning about losing her Qashqai though (I don't collect her Leaf till Saturday :cool:) as the Leaf is nowhere near as good looking, in her eyes anyway, as her Qashqai. :(

I'm hoping she will be singing a different tune after a few weeks. As she wouldn't consider an Acenta, whether it might be more comfortable or not, doesn't matter now... :)

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm actually loving my Tekna - the 360 cameras are a godsend - for some reason I am having real difficulties judging the width and the front corners in tight parking spots. I didn't mean the thread as dissing the Tekna, just an observation regarding the comfort level.
I think she will love the Leaf - I think it's a pretty neat looking car, especially in the Sonic Blue :)

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Yes you are quite right, having owned a Mk1 Leaf and now a Tekna the Tekna is less comfortable, the Mk1 suspensions was much softer and the seats more comfortable, the ride was much smoother, tuned for the Japanese market so I am told.

The Tekna is a much firmer ride, the steering is nowhere near as light as the MK1, I only got the Tekna because the Deal was so close to the Acenta that it wasnt worth not doing it however I find the cloth interior more comfortable, overall I much prefer the MK1 in terms of the drive and the MK1 accelerates faster, there is lots to like about the Tekna though, the round view monitor on its own for me overrides the negatives.

I also can not find any reason to upgrade to the Tekna to get the Bose sound system it sounds no better than the MK1 stereo and in fact if it was my car the sub woofer would come out of the boot as its pointless and makes no difference to the sound, its just taking up boot space.
The MK1 Leaf is a much nicer ride than my new Acenta too and I definitely agree that the MK1 one was faster.

The handling was quite a lot worse though.

I don't think the Acenta interior will wear particular well. My drivers seat fabric is already a bit saggy (I'm not a fatty either) after just 2000 miles. I'm giving mine back after 3 years though so I don't care.

If you were buying to keep the Tekna is the way forward.

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,323 Posts
I'm actually loving my Tekna - the 360 cameras are a godsend - for some reason I am having real difficulties judging the width and the front corners in tight parking spots. I didn't mean the thread as dissing the Tekna, just an observation regarding the comfort level.
I think she will love the Leaf - I think it's a pretty neat looking car, especially in the Sonic Blue :)
I don't read the thread as dissing the Tekna at all, just highlighting that there is a difference between the Tekna and Acenta models, and as it turns out from comments above, the Mk 1.

I am hoping my wife will be won over after running the Leaf for a few weeks. She had one on a 3 day test drive a year ago and didn't want to lose the raised driving position of the Qashqai then, but really liked how easy the Leaf was to drive.

After a few weeks I'm sure the heated steering wheel, better stereo, smooth driving, pre-heating etc. will have her convinced. The looks she'll just have to learn to live with!

Hers will be Arctic White, same as her Qashqai.

Derek

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
The looks she'll just have to learn to live with!
This is not aimed at your wife, it is just a comment on fashion and style in general.
'Some people would wear a Dog Turd round their neck if it was fashionable' A quote from Fawlty Towers on the then fashion for some men to wear a gold medallion chain . Car design has rotated through numerous mutations over the years, I have owned cars based on Streamlline, Jet fighter, Aerodynamic, Country Estate, Sporty, and now Unintrusive. The next model of the LEAF is going to be more mainstream looking apparently , Why?
The important part of design is that it is functional whilst displaying the idea behind the object.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Charge the love!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
My son has a Tekna, I have an Acenta. His comment amused me:-

"The Tekna has heated leather seats, for which I paid extra. The only reason you need the seat heaters is because the leather is so damned cold when you get into the car. You just don't need them in the Acenta."

·
Registered
853 Posts
In trying to persuade my wife to switch from her Qashqai 360 I had no choice but to go for a Tekna. Having had the 360 cameras on her Qashqai it was a positive selling point that a new Leaf would still have them. The heated steering wheel and heated seats also helped.

She is still moaning about losing her Qashqai though (I don't collect her Leaf till Saturday :cool:) as the Leaf is nowhere near as good looking, in her eyes anyway, as her Qashqai. :(

I'm hoping she will be singing a different tune after a few weeks. As she wouldn't consider an Acenta, whether it might be more comfortable or not, doesn't matter now... :)
If it's any consolation my wife has a qashqai and always uses my Leaf, so I think you'll be fine the qashqai does very few mile now days.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I once came to that conclusion but then I test drove both and was surprised how smooth the ride was in the Tekna, compared to the ghastly experience of my Mercedes B Class on 18" wheels with thin tyres, until I changed the wheels on that. I found the Tekna seats much more supportive than those in the Accenta.

As for the Bose, I was advised to bring up the rear speakers and take both base and treble right up. That made a hell of a difference and I'm now impressed with the tones and clarity of the system. Having set out to buy an Accenta I'm now pleased with my Tekna. Plus I like the small of leather when I open the door.

·
Yes I'm a girl! Girls can be EV nerds too ;-)
649 Posts
I am hoping my wife will be won over after running the Leaf for a few weeks.

After a few weeks I'm sure the heated steering wheel, better stereo, smooth driving, pre-heating etc. will have her convinced. The looks she'll just have to learn to live with!

Hers will be Arctic White, same as her Qashqai.

Derek
I'm sure she'll love it. I love my leaf, I love the drive, the idea etc and I also like the look from the outside (ok I don't like it - I don't mind it, but that's more to do with my colour choice).

What I don't like is it feels 'cheap' on the inside and frankly 'boring'. Too much cheap plastic and the design is a bit old man - like this obsession with everything lighting up blue? Meh. I don't get it, but then I don't like blue. It's boring - not enough places to put things, too angular and much more function rather than style.

My previous car had in my opinion a much better interior. It felt much more than it was and pretty stylish compared to the leaf.

On the plus side the bit behind the drivers central arm rest thing (in our case the family mints stash box) is useful for somewhere for your handbag to sit if you have a front passenger ;-)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts