Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
˙ǝןƃƃnɹʇs ןןıɥuʍop ɐ sı ǝɟı˥
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the rise of the theft of keyless entry vehicles by the use of relay attacks, manufacturers are responding by adding motion sensors which put the key fob to sleep after a few minutes of being still and to wake up once moved again. The new 7 Series key fob has this. Has anyone heard whether BMW is going to retrofit them or offer replacements for other models?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I read about this in the car mags regarding the new 7 series and high end vehicles,but I would very much doubt if BMW will offer this as a replacement or retrofit.
Why would they? it would cost a packet to do this and they are already down on sales.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I read about this in the car mags regarding the new 7 series and high end vehicles,but I would very much doubt if BMW will offer this as a replacement or retrofit.
Why would they? it would cost a packet to do this and they are already down on sales.
Do they need to do anything to the car? Surely it is only the remote that needs modifying.

A movement censer built into the remote must be all that is needed?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Do they need to do anything to the car? Surely it is only the remote that needs modifying.

A movement censer built into the remote must be all that is needed?
I agree but do you really think BMW would really do this? they would just say buy a faraday bag!

·
˙ǝןƃƃnɹʇs ןןıɥuʍop ɐ sı ǝɟı˥
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not necessarily talking about a free upgrade. I'd be happy to pay for it so as to improve the security of my car. Ford is already onto it. Ford will also offer after-market updates to owners of the current Fiesta, which has been on sale for two years, and of the Focus introduced last year. These models can have security upgraded with replacement fobs, priced from £65 (Fiesta), £72 (Focus) plus 0.9 hours labour to programme and test.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'm not necessarily talking about a free upgrade. I'd be happy to pay for it so as to improve the security of my car. Ford is already onto it. Ford will also offer after-market updates to owners of the current Fiesta, which has been on sale for two years, and of the Focus introduced last year. These models can have security upgraded with replacement fobs, priced from £65 (Fiesta), £72 (Focus) plus 0.9 hours labour to programme and test.
Well if BMW did offer it you can add a zero to the end of those prices......;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts