Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my zs ev exclusive in dec 2019
Recently saw advertised on the mg website the new software called "comfort system update" so i called the dealer and was told i have to shell £120 to update my car, as apparently this is not a "fix", although it does fix a lot of issues. This is yet again another ripoff from MG: they bring to market a car with half-baked software, and instead to hiving it gor free to their customers, they opted to charge then an exorbitant amount of money I do have a service plan and wss told in unequivocal terms, this is NOT covered
Is ghis the way they treat their loyal customers?
I'm getting fed-up with this company.
What do uou think?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I think when you pay £10k less for a new car than its nearest rival, you shouldn't be surprised when it bites you back a bit - but for gods sake, if you're going to get this worked up over £120 you've got a lot of grief coming in your life.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,254 Posts
To be fair some of the comfort update is fixes and some of it is enhancements based on what customers asked for.

Should it be a chargeable fix or free is a tricky one. What it shouldn't be is a guess by dealers on how long it might take them. Based on that you're paying for their ineptitude. Should be an agreed fixed price from MG. £60 seems a sweet spot. A lot of dealers are charging £60-70, the poorer ones or the ones wanting to avoid it are charging £120+

·
Registered
859 Posts
I'm surprised that javiermi hasn't noticed the extensive thread started about 2 months ago on this very topic.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,254 Posts
I'm surprised that javiermi hasn't noticed the extensive thread started about 2 months ago on this very topic.
20 posts in 7 months, I think he's not a regular.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think when you pay £10k less for a new car than its nearest rival, you shouldn't be surprised when it bites you back a bit - but for gods sake, if you're going to get this worked up over £120 you've got a lot of grief coming in your life.
Ok, so suppose is not £120, but £1200, or £12000, would you still be happy to pay?
Is not about the money is about the principle: as a customer you are entitled to some basic support. Is not that you can get it elsewhere, is it?
I guess you own a phone, or a computer, do you pay every time the manufacturer produces an update? Why is this different?
So what happens when MG produces a software update to actually fix software bugs, are they also going to charge you?. How are they going to justify charging some versions but not others?
I don't know how much it cost them to develop the update, but if they charge £120 for every car they sell, this will rack into millions. Not a bad business model eh!
And this for every new update they do in the future

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks I did not see that conversation

·
Registered
229 Posts
@javiermi it is not MG that is collecting the money it is the dealer's charging for their time. Some dealers are updating for free if the car was bought from them. I suggest ring ring round your nearest dealers and see what they are charging. If you get a good deal elsewhere you might want to take your car servicing to that dealer too

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought the car at Richmond Southampton, so that's were I took it I don't know any dealer here in the south close enough to Winchester that is not Richmond- which I guess will have the same policy - or maybe you know better?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Richmond Southampton upgraded my car. Turned out to be the first they'd done. Took them 2 attempts. First time, I was waiting. They gave up after 3 hours. It got booked in again, this time for the whole day. I suspect it took them about 5 hours in total. The mechanic does not need to be with it all that time but it sounds like they've increased the price as a result of this experience. They only charged me £75 but it must have cost them a lot more. Apparently, it's a whole series of updates, not just one. It's worth it but I still don't have the outside temperature showing like others seem to have.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your comments.
I think "mechanics" will need to learn the new ways of IT. There is going to be a learning curve. No longer will they need to get their hands dirty with grease. They will eventually learn. And things will get even easier. Now the question will be if dealers will decrease their charges with time, as no longer they will need to replace physical bits, just modify the software . This will make "repairs" quicker, but I doubt dealers will reduce their fees. If anything they will say their equipment is more expensive, so they need to charge MORE.
If this were a truly fair system, we could go to ANY mechanic to do the upgrades, but car monopolies will not allow it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for your comments.
I think "mechanics" will need to learn the new ways of IT. There is going to be a learning curve. No longer will they need to get their hands dirty with grease. They will eventually learn. And things will get even easier. Now the question will be if dealers will decrease their charges with time, as no longer they will need to replace physical bits, just modify the software . This will make "repairs" quicker, but I doubt dealers will reduce their fees. If anything they will say their equipment is more expensive, so they need to charge MORE.
If this were a truly fair system, we could go to ANY mechanic to do the upgrades, but car monopolies will not allow it.
In fact, i don't see any good reason ( besides dealers loosing money) why customers cannot do the upgrades themselves. Don't we upgrade our phones and computers almost every day already?

·
Journeyman Human
452 Posts
Richmond Southampton upgraded my car. Turned out to be the first they'd done. Took them 2 attempts. First time, I was waiting. They gave up after 3 hours. It got booked in again, this time for the whole day. I suspect it took them about 5 hours in total. The mechanic does not need to be with it all that time but it sounds like they've increased the price as a result of this experience. They only charged me £75 but it must have cost them a lot more. Apparently, it's a whole series of updates, not just one. It's worth it but I still don't have the outside temperature showing like others seem to have.
You need to get back to your dealer as they've screwed up the install if you don't have temperature showing. There are 4 updates in total, 2 via usb stick, and 2 via OBD port. At least one of yours is missing!

·
Registered
446 Posts
That shows they have still not done it all correctly.....back you go.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You need to get back to your dealer as they've screwed up the install if you don't have temperature showing. There are 4 updates in total, 2 via usb stick, and 2 via OBD port. At least one of yours is missing!
I suspect as much, but it's likely to waste another whole day. I don't think I can be bothered just for the temperature guage. I'll let them know but wait for the mandatory annual service. They are my nearest dealer, but 40 minutes drive away so not many other options. This is my third EV. So far only BMW have shown any comprehension. I had to sell my Outlander because the Mitsubishi garage could not fix leakage problems with the startup battery. Could not leave it unused for more than a few days without finding it flat. They all need some staff with IT skills to look after Ev's.

·
Journeyman Human
452 Posts
I suspect as much, but it's likely to waste another whole day. I don't think I can be bothered just for the temperature guage. I'll let them know but wait for the mandatory annual service. They are my nearest dealer, but 40 minutes drive away so not many other options. This is my third EV. So far only BMW have shown any comprehension. I had to sell my Outlander because the Mitsubishi garage could not fix leakage problems with the startup battery. Could not leave it unused for more than a few days without finding it flat. They all need some staff with IT skills to look after Ev's.
I think the problem today with dealers is they don't even have very good, or proper mechanics. Just semi skilled people who can do routine servicing work. No one actually rebuilds engines or anything like that anymore, it's all just changing out parts, most of which is actually quite simple tasks. I think the really talented guys who can diagnose and solve more complex issues are few and far between. That's before we get to the change to EV drive trains!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts