Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been putting up with these stupid bongs since I purchased the car, but no way was I paying to remove the bongs. It's a matter of principle, as I don't expect to buy a car for over 20k and have to pay to rectify a design fault. The problem is I did not purchase my car from a local dealer, otherwise I would have played up like hell for them to rectify it for free. Instead, I waited until the time of my scheduled service and emailed about 10 dealers within 50 miles range offering to book the car in for a service if they did the updates for free. A couple of dealers agreed to this, with one offering an all in charge of £66 for the service and bong removal. I can't believe the range of prices that I got - one dealer wanted £250 for a service and to remove the bongs! I have now had the service and bongs removed all for £66. Granted, I had to travel 45 miles from home, but I took my hiking boots, my dog, and a packed lunch and enjoyed a lovely hike in the countryside. So shop around guys.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Sounds like a very good deal. Please tell us which dealer?
The first service is mainly a visual inspection, they can do that while the car's firmware is updating.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Remember that a £20k electric car is a very cheap electric car. You’re lucky to get that kind of range, let alone that size of car, a “leather” interior, level 2 autonomy etc. A few bongs is a minor inconvenience when you consider the sheer value of the thing.

The bongs are also a feature (in the home market), not a bug. A car company that is almost entirely based in China couldn’t reasonably have pre-empted such specific European tastes and sensibilities.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Remember that a £20k electric car is a very cheap electric car. You’re lucky to get that kind of range, let alone that size of car, a “leather” interior, level 2 autonomy etc. A few bongs is a minor inconvenience when you consider the sheer value of the thing.
Yes it is a relatively cheap electric car, but that does not negate the obligation to provide a product that is of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and as described. The hooting of the horn if a passenger got out before the driver, was absolutely ridiculous and can only be described as a design fault (never even had this on a 10k car!) While this may be acceptable in China, it is not acceptable in the UK, particularly in view of section 99 of the The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, which places restrictions on the sounding of horns. I don't mind paying for updates that provide a genuine new feature (such as temperature displayed on the console), but under no circumstance will I pay to rectify a design fault. Even if there is no legal obligation, it's about customer good will and not alienating your customers.

Now that the bongs are sorted, I am relatively happy with the car. It's not perfect and I don't expect perfection for 20k, but in my opinion it is now of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and as described. If MG release any new updates that provide a genuine feature, I would be very happy to pay, but under no circumstance will I pay to rectify a design fault on a car that is still under warranty.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Yes it is a relatively cheap electric car, but that does not negate the obligation to provide a product that is of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and as described. The hooting of the horn if a passenger got out before the driver, was absolutely ridiculous and can only be described as a design fault (never even had this on a 10k car!) While this may be acceptable in China, it is not acceptable in the UK, particularly in view of section 99 of the The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, which places restrictions on the sounding of horns. I don't mind paying for updates that provide a genuine new feature (such as temperature displayed on the console), but under no circumstance will I pay to rectify a design fault. Even if there is no legal obligation, it's about customer good will and not alienating your customers.

Now that the bongs are sorted, I am relatively happy with the car. It's not perfect and I don't expect perfection for 20k, but in my opinion it is now of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and as described. If MG release any new updates that provide a genuine feature, I would be very happy to pay, but under no circumstance will I pay to rectify a design fault on a car that is still under warranty.
I think MG where very good ( from their point of view ) at hiding the much necessary updates in with some of the “Nice To Have” extras in the same update package.
Then ask the customer to pay for the privilege of having them !.
I know we are going over old ground here, but how they ever though that allowing the horn to sound at any time of the day or night if anybody but the driver left the car first, is totally above my compression !.
A clever way of disguising the problems highlighted by the customers as well it should be said.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
536 Posts
I think MG where very good ( from their point of view ) at hiding the much necessary updates in with some of the “Nice To Have” extras in the same update package.
I know we are going over old ground here, but how they ever though that allowing the horn to sound at any time of the day or night if anybody but the driver left the car first, is totally above my compression !.
A clever way of disguising the problems highlighted by the customers as well it should be said.
I got my update f.o.c after sending a copy of the horn rules....

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I've just been running the engine (to keep the 12v battery charged) on a neighbour's ICE Mercedes (2013 plate) while they are away and found after turning off and then locking the car with fob - the car horn gives an intrusive single beep!.

So maybe this was fairly normal with 'high quality' European cars a few years ago - might still be, for all I know!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Check that the boot and doors are shut properly, that caught me out the other day

·
Registered
33 Posts
Usually a single beep means small problem like window not being fully shut or door ajar.

the eZS I test drove did not have comfort 2 update and I hated it. It was only in my youtube research that I realised saic had responded to bjorns criticisms with the update. I would not have chose the eZS if I hadn’t done extra research.

In my opinion mg head office dropped the ball by making the update chargeable for early adopters. Especially considering the horn blasts. They should have just priced it at two billable service hours. £50.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Businesses from that part of the world are not known for their goodwill or transparency.

Reactions: rogerdee

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
I've just been running the engine (to keep the 12v battery charged) on a neighbour's ICE Mercedes (2013 plate) while they are away and found after turning off and then locking the car with fob - the car horn gives an intrusive single beep!.

So maybe this was fairly normal with 'high quality' European cars a few years ago - might still be, for all I know!
Could have an “After Market” alarm system installed, they usually like to make strange noises when you arm and disarm them !.
Yeah - The ZS EV will make one small “Pap” of the horn if you try and lock the car if one on the doors or the boot is not closed correctly.
I think this is a good idea generally !.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,972 Posts
found after turning off and then locking the car with fob - the car horn gives an intrusive single beep!.
Zoe locks as you walk away and gives a peep - peep sound (not horn). I always used to worry about what the neighbours thought, but could do nothing about it. :unsure:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got my update f.o.c after sending a copy of the horn rules....
The problem is I live a very long way from where I purchased the car, so I was not going to go back to the original dealer (otherwise I would have played up like hell). It is more complex trying to enforce something like this directly against the manufacturer. Therefore the best option for me was to get it done free at service.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
536 Posts
The problem is I live a very long way from where I purchased the car, so I was not going to go back to the original dealer (otherwise I would have played up like hell). It is more complex trying to enforce something like this directly against the manufacturer. Therefore the best option for me was to get it done free at service.
Fully understand that issue. My skirmish continues, the Rolec charger recommended by my dealer now delays charge taking account of Octopus Agile, stops at price rise and then won’t restart. I think that most dealers don’t understand that the requirement to have smart chargers was not for a bit of fun and getting a cheap power deal but for DNOs to balance grid load. I fully expect that in 4 years time we will just have an app to enter no. of kWh and ready by time and the DNO and electricity retailers will sort it out for us. Greg from Octopus was on a Tesla podcast indicating just that. My dealer is again talking to MG, and I have difficult understanding their problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm on the Surrey /London borders and have
I have been putting up with these stupid bongs since I purchased the car, but no way was I paying to remove the bongs. It's a matter of principle, as I don't expect to buy a car for over 20k and have to pay to rectify a design fault. The problem is I did not purchase my car from a local dealer, otherwise I would have played up like hell for them to rectify it for free. Instead, I waited until the time of my scheduled service and emailed about 10 dealers within 50 miles range offering to book the car in for a service if they did the updates for free. A couple of dealers agreed to this, with one offering an all in charge of £66 for the service and bong removal. I can't believe the range of prices that I got - one dealer wanted £250 for a service and to remove the bongs! I have now had the service and bongs removed all for £66. Granted, I had to travel 45 miles from home, but I took my hiking boots, my dog, and a packed lunch and enjoyed a lovely hike in the countryside. So shop around guys.
I'm on the Surrey /London borders and have a similar quandry. Got the car in January but felt £100 charge to rectify their design faults was taking the mickey. I now need to book in for service and will look to do service and comfort update at the same time. Can you please post the quotes you got from dealers?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I now need to book in for service and will look to do service and comfort update at the same time. Can you please post the quotes you got from dealers?
The dealer where I had mine serviced and the updates for £66 was Lodge Hill Garage in Abingdon, Oxfordshire, OX14 2JD . That is also the furthest dealer south that I emailed (I am on the Warwickshire / Oxfordshire border). If you are in London, the Abingdon dealer may work for you. There are a few nice footpaths around the Abingdon dealer, so if you are into hiking, it's not a bad day out. If it was not for Covid, it's normally nice to visit Oxford, but I guess now all the attractions / museums etc will be closed.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Can't remember the price, I think its about average and it was the only dealer for miles

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
I thought the Chorley Group was only free if you purchased your car from them? Also how much is the first service there? As I got the updates and a service for £66
Hard to complain at that price !.
My local dealer wanted £65 to carry out the Comfort 2 Update, then I thing the price for the first service is around £120 !.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts