Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
'18 Zoe ZE 40 R110 + '21 VW ID.4 1st
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I just realized I might be stupid... We've had an EV for 8-9 months, and in that time I've seen the "Commando plug + Ohme cable with Octopus discount" home charging solution recommended probably 10-20 times. For some reason in my head going the commando route meant more juice than the 3-pin we currently use, but less than a full home chargepoint installation with someone like PodPoint/Zappi. However, I just realized that 240v through a 32a commando plug = 7.68 kw.... Does the "commando+ohme" route provide the same charging speed as a standard home chargepoint? I have a quote from a local sparky for £350 for an "EV Commando Plug Install" - that plus the discounted Ohme cable at £199 looks to be cheaper than many of the other tethered charging solutions we've seen lately... Probably even a better option for us since in 1-3 years we'll be moving house, and it would be cheaper to just get another 32a commando plug installed at the new place and use our existing cable... Am I missing something?

·
Registered
265 Posts
I think I just realized I might be stupid... We've had an EV for 8-9 months, and in that time I've seen the "Commando plug + Ohme cable with Octopus discount" home charging solution recommended probably 10-20 times. For some reason in my head going the commando route meant more juice than the 3-pin we currently use, but less than a full home chargepoint installation with someone like PodPoint/Zappi. However, I just realized that 240v through a 32a commando plug = 7.68 kw.... Does the "commando+ohme" route provide the same charging speed as a standard home chargepoint? I have a quote from a local sparky for £350 for an "EV Commando Plug Install" - that plus the discounted Ohme cable at £199 looks to be cheaper than many of the other tethered charging solutions we've seen lately... Probably even a better option for us since in 1-3 years we'll be moving house, and it would be cheaper to just get another 32a commando plug installed at the new place and use our existing cable... Am I missing something?
No. You’ve not missed anything. The charger is in the car. The Ohme just routes the 32A at 240V to the car charger.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Only thing it might be worth checking is the quote includes the correct earthing of the commando plug, it may not be suitable to extend the home earth if used as a EV charging point.

·
Registered
'18 Zoe ZE 40 R110 + '21 VW ID.4 1st
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Only thing it might be worth checking is the quote includes the correct earthing of the commando plug, it may not be suitable to extend the home earth if used as a EV charging point.
That's a good point. Does the Commando+Ohme setup have the same built-in protections that a full home chargepoint would? Is it as safe (if properly earthed)?

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,661 Posts
That's a good point. Does the Commando+Ohme setup have the same built-in protections that a full home chargepoint would? Is it as safe (if properly earthed)?
The Ohme EVSE is up to date in that department, it has a Type B RCD built in and is as safe as any home charge point, and better than many out there.

The electrician fitted an earth rod to my Commando socket, he said it was a requirement for use with an EV.

I use mine as a ‘dumb’ 7.2kW charger, I don’t use the smart features at all, it used to charge my e-Golf and now does the ID.3 and Tesla and hasn’t missed a beat.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
No. You’ve not missed anything. The charger is in the car. The Ohme just routes the 32A at 240V to the car charger.
Not quite. The EVSE performs some very important functions as well as acting as a switch to route mains power to the OBC.
One of these important functions is to handle the pilot communications between the car and the mains supply.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Your £199 and £300 happen to be the exact same price as my Ohme was installed with a fixed feed so in your situation of moving on, it's a good idea.

Going the commando plug route on price alone isn't any cheaper in this case.

·
Registered
808 Posts
The electrician fitted an earth rod to my Commando socket, he said it was a requirement for use with an EV.
@mikegs may want to comment.
The electrician who is going to install the commando socket for me said that a single earth rod is not very effective due dry soil. Anyway, I bought the Viridian device that protects against the PEN fault situation so no need to drive an earth road in. That unit will become the mini consumer unit which feeds the 10mm to the commando socket.

·
Registered
7 Posts
@mikegs may want to comment.
The electrician who is going to install the commando socket for me said that a single earth rod is not very effective due dry soil. Anyway, I bought the Viridian device that protects against the PEN fault situation so no need to drive an earth road in. That unit will become the mini consumer unit which feeds the 10mm to the commando socket.
10mm To a 32A Commando socket?
How long is the run?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Ohme is a bit pointless now it looks like Agile has died a death, but I guess it's a cheap option if bought with an offer and hidden in the dry from sight.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Ohme is a bit pointless now it looks like Agile has died a death, but I guess it's a cheap option if bought with an offer and hidden in the dry from sight.
Agile is still extant. Rumours of its death have been greatly exaggerated !

I'm still better off on Agile than with any alternative - mainly because my solar panels allow me to avoid imports during peak times. Ohme was very useful last week when I managed to charge for 11 half-hour periods at an average price of 1.37ppu

But my main reason for buying the Ohme was as a backup for my 6 year old Rolec unit which reading these columns you'd think should have died 5 years ago but luckily it doesn't read them.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Agile is still extant. Rumours of its death have been greatly exaggerated !

I'm still better off on Agile than with any alternative - mainly because my solar panels allow me to avoid imports during peak times.
Same here, although I couldn't recommend it at the moment to anyone without PV. It will be interesting to see if the current high prices which reflect wholesale prices feed through into the fixed rates. Not sure why they are quite so high at the moment: is a link down or high demand from the continent?

·
Registered
268 Posts
That’s correct, socket outlets for EV charging require the same protection as a complete chargepoint. Obvious when you think about it, the risk is the same.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,661 Posts
That’s correct, socket outlets for EV charging require the same protection as a complete chargepoint. Obvious when you think about it, the risk is the same.
Yes, and I didn’t mean to sound like I was saying it was a bad idea!

·
Registered
808 Posts
10mm To a 32A Commando socket?
How long is the run?
Around 18metres in total. The sparky said it would have to be 10mm as the mcb in the viridian PEN unit is 40amps. I didn't want nuisance tripping with a default 32amp mcb, and many on here recommend 40A. I didn't argue as the cost difference isn't an issue. If the cable is overrated for 32A, that's fine with me.

As for the OHME vs Agile argument, it still works with GoFaster. Otherwise it's a very cheap dumb 32A charger. The cost difference between this setup and a regular (not grant funded) install buys a fair amount of kWh of electricity!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts