Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will getting a commando socket installed soon for the OHME charger.

my electrician has given me a couple of options.

1) install a henley block in the outside meter cupboard and run the armoured cable from there to the commando socket location.
2) Run the armoured cable from the main CU (in kitchen), Type A RCD and then to the commando socket

Commando socket will have an earth spike install.

Which option is best? thanks.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

1) install a henley block in the outside meter cupboard and run the armoured cable from there to the commando socket location.
2) Run the armoured cable from the main CU (in kitchen), Type A RCD and then to the commando socket

1 sounds better than 2 but I'd have thought that somewhere between the HB & the commando you'd need a mini CU.

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
Yeah. He mentioned a mini cu. But will put this on the b end (garage).
It will usually need a fuse at the meter end as well though. DNOs don't generally allow unprotected meter tails over about 3 metres from their fuse.
I expect your spark knows this and has it in the quote.

Personally this (option 1) is what I have. Keep the house CU for the house as far as possible.

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
It will usually need a fuse at the meter end as well though. DNOs don't generally allow unprotected meter tails over about 3 metres from their fuse.
I expect your spark knows this and has it in the quote.

Personally this (option 1) is what I have. Keep the house CU for the house as far as possible.
Or usually a MCB rather than fuse.

·
Registered
234 Posts

This is something I'm thinking of looking in to, would you mind giving an idea of the price that you've been quoted for this, to get some sort of ballpark figure of what to expect?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is something I'm thinking of looking in to, would you mind giving an idea of the price that you've been quoted for this, to get some sort of ballpark figure of what to expect?
My friend is a leccy and will be doing the work on a weekend. Won't be a comparable price.

·
Registered
316 Posts
1) is better, but easier to just fit the Mini CU in the meter box if there's room otherwise you'll need both a switch fuse in the meter box -and- a mini CU in the garage.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Not sure if this helps or not, but I think the rules in the UK mean that a socket for charging cars needs an expensive type of circuit breaker. The rules are different for different countries, I know, but I remember that the UK was one of the places where they needed these things. the rules here are very similar to the UK, I think. although NSAI sort of reword things, a lot of them seem to have just followed what the UK has written.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Get switches seperated from consumer units that let's you turn all power off to the consumer units without removing the main fuse.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Get switches seperated from consumer units that let's you turn all power off to the consumer units without removing the main fuse.
Yes but he needs to get his electricity supplier to arrange that, (if not already in situ), as despite his mate being a sparky he's not really allowed to go around breaking seals and pulling cut out fuses.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Not sure if this helps or not, but I think the rules in the UK mean that a socket for charging cars needs an expensive type of circuit breaker. The rules are different for different countries, I know, but I remember that the UK was one of the places where they needed these things. the rules here are very similar to the UK, I think. although NSAI sort of reword things, a lot of them seem to have just followed what the UK has written.
DC RCD protection is required, but the Ohme implements this internally, so an external one is not needed.
The commando socket should have at least AC RCD protection though as it could potentially be used for other purposes.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thanks. I thought the rules in the UK applied to the installation, not things connected to it. Is this not the case? I know that when we put in some commercial vehicle power points, that were going to be used to charge electric vans, they had to have these things fitted (not cheap). I remember the electrical contractor getting hot under the collar about it, explaining that it did not matter what was likely to be plugged in, the power point still needed to have these things fitted. I think his argument was that someone could plug something different in, and that the installation still needed to be safe. I do know that he put his foot down and said he'd not sign them off without it (this was at a UK site).

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
Im having my smart meter tomorrow. Would the engineer install an isolated switch? My current setup is like this
Ooh, that's a bit tight.
If the new meter is fitted near the top with new, longer tails from the fuse, then there should be room for a switch. But if the guy doesn't know about it beforehand he might well refuse.
If so at least try and get the meter put at the top with a Henley block to connect to the existing outgoing tails (which obviously won't reach much higher as they are). That'll give your sparks a fighting chance.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts