Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
What's the score with using a 32A commando socket with the Ohme commando plug regarding earthing.

New 18th edition wiring regulations expect a dedicated earth rod for new charging installations, not connected to the earth of the house.

Clearly you need to wire up a 32A commando socket with an earth as other devices can be plugged into this socket. How is the ohme charging connector get away this not having an earth rod connected, is it classed as a portable charging device rather than fixed? Is that how they are getting away with it?

I've read it has its own built in RCD to comply with the DC tripping regulations so that bit is covered. Can't find much information online about the commando plug and it's regulations.

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
1,370 Posts
What's the score with using a 32A commando socket with the Ohme commando plug regarding earthing.

New 18th edition wiring regulations expect a dedicated earth rod for new charging installations, not connected to the earth of the house.

Clearly you need to wire up a 32A commando socket with an earth as other devices can be plugged into this socket. How is the ohme charging connector get away this not having an earth rod connected, is it classed as a portable charging device rather than fixed? Is that how they are getting away with it?

I've read it has its own built in RCD to comply with the DC tripping regulations so that bit is covered. Can't find much information online about the commando plug and it's regulations.
This came in the box.

·
Registered
637 Posts
The argument is probably that a 32A commando isn't necessarily a dedicated EV supply - could be for a welder. A portable EVSE like the OHME is probably outside the scope of the wiring regs.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
The argument is probably that a 32A commando isn't necessarily a dedicated EV supply - could be for a welder. A portable EVSE like the OHME is probably outside the scope of the wiring regs.
My understanding is that the regs only apply to fixed wiring. Portable equipment is covered by specific standards for that equipment.
Even if a CEE outlet is being provided primarily to supply a portable car charger I doubt the regulations for fixed car chargers could be legally enforced, though some electricians might attempt to.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Makes sense really. Great youtube video BTW!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Makes sense really. Great youtube video BTW!
Hi Dean and all people on this thread.

I am head of strategic partnerships at Ohme and would be pleased to hear more on your feedback and tell more about Ohme if you have any interest.

We also now have an OLEV approved smart wall charger for a retail price of £480 incl. VAT.

Yes, there is a sim card inside all our cables and wall chargers.

Our wall chargers have same functionality as the Ohme cables, the wall charger just comes with a bit longer lead in one end to wire into a junction box/into a wall + holder for gun and cable.

The Ohme cable is a great way to upgrade any dumb chargesockets to be smart.

It also works well with GO tariff or other fixed time period tariffs.

My email is [email protected] and my phone number is +44 7425224146 and it would be great to hear from you.

Best regards,
Stefan

21 - 27 of 27 Posts