Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon all,

I am currently carrying out some research into common faults on electric vehicles and understand that the best source of information is directly from the users of them!

My goal is to gain an understanding of what parts are commonly failing on electric vehicles with the intention of creating aftermarket, therefore cheaper, solutions for customers. This would only really benefit the users of the vehicles as the cars fall out of their warranty period (obviously this covers the 1st gen Leaf nicely as most if not all are out of standard warranty now).

There are loads of benefits to this, vehicle owners will end up with cheaper repair bills as they won't be going directly to dealers and be charged extortionate prices and non-dealer garages will gain more of an understanding of EV and repairs reducing the current fear of working on the "unknown".

The parts in question where we would be able to help would be mainly electrical / mech-electrical aimed specifically at EV's (PTC, heat pumps, coolant pumps, sensors) or anything specific that an EV would use.

It would be appreciated if people could post what parts have failed on their Leaf's during their ownership.

Many thanks and kind regards,
Daniel

·
Registered
609 Posts
Good afternoon all,

I am currently carrying out some research into common faults on electric vehicles and understand that the best source of information is directly from the users of them!

My goal is to gain an understanding of what parts are commonly failing on electric vehicles with the intention of creating aftermarket, therefore cheaper, solutions for customers. This would only really benefit the users of the vehicles as the cars fall out of their warranty period (obviously this covers the 1st gen Leaf nicely as most if not all are out of standard warranty now).

There are loads of benefits to this, vehicle owners will end up with cheaper repair bills as they won't be going directly to dealers and be charged extortionate prices and non-dealer garages will gain more of an understanding of EV and repairs reducing the current fear of working on the "unknown".

The parts in question where we would be able to help would be mainly electrical / mech-electrical aimed specifically at EV's (PTC, heat pumps, coolant pumps, sensors) or anything specific that an EV would use.

It would be appreciated if people could post what parts have failed on their Leaf's during their ownership.

Many thanks and kind regards,
Daniel
Daniel- check this thread here: A guide to changing the onboard charger on the Nissan Leaf

Read through the whole thread, and checkout my posts 19 and 20 where I discuss this very topic.

Best of luck Tony.

Reactions: Daniel270766

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Daniel- check this thread here: A guide to changing the onboard charger on the Nissan Leaf

Read through the whole thread, and checkout my posts 19 and 20 where I discuss this very topic.

Best of luck Tony.
Hi Tony,

Thank you very much for that, it's exactly what i'm after and your posts 19 and 20 (especially 20) is precisely where we would come in. At the moment with regards to EV's we are currently in the research phase and this vehicle and part would look like a very strong contender. The challenge is going to be to understand how many of these components have failed or had repairs done to them since the Leaf was brought to market (ie how common is this failure mode.)

Thanks again

·
Registered
5,231 Posts

Not a common fault for sure, but I had the gearbox (or reducer gear as Nissan calls it) fail on my 2016 Leaf 30 which had done 35k miles at the time. Not fun...

·
Registered
609 Posts
Hi Tony,

Thank you very much for that, it's exactly what i'm after and your posts 19 and 20 (especially 20) is precisely where we would come in. At the moment with regards to EV's we are currently in the research phase and this vehicle and part would look like a very strong contender. The challenge is going to be to understand how many of these components have failed or had repairs done to them since the Leaf was brought to market (ie how common is this failure mode.)

Thanks again
Your welcome Daniel, I wish you the very best of luck with your project. The Nissan Leaf is by far the largest selling EV to date so it's a good place to start. With the largest user base there are more used spare parts available than for any other EV. Do bear in mind, a good proportion of them are just tightwads and have the Leaf purely for monetary reasons, they don't like spending money on anything let alone spare parts!
Can I suggest a starting point or two?
1)No Leaf user likes those beeps when doors are left open they drive many to distraction. I have contemplated ripping the dash apart to stifle the damned beeper.
2) The brag screen on switch on where every single time you start the car you have to agree to the T&C's. Once a month would be more than enough.
A halfway decent programmer could sort that out I'm sure. I understand the headunit is made by Clarion and uses a heavily modified version of Windows CE.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,373 Posts
Another thread ( Actually about a dozen threads ) refer to an obvious blooper made by Nissan with the Leaf where the top suspension strut on the UK drivers side gets full of water draining from the windscreen wiper spindle. That would eventually lead to a failure of the area. People use a variety of measures to cap that area and some Ebay sellers make 3D printed versions. But a properly marketed unit would have many thousands of buyers who are still blissfully unaware of this impending disaster.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,373 Posts
And, of course, the old issue that is ignored by many. The lack of a space saving spare tyre in all cars and replaced by a tube of goo and a £5 pump that fails to solve the problem. Anyone who produces a cheap steel space saver wheel and tyre to match a cars wheel studs, with a cheap jack and brace as a complete package, would clean up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your welcome Daniel, I wish you the very best of luck with your project. The Nissan Leaf is by far the largest selling EV to date so it's a good place to start. With the largest user base there are more used spare parts available than for any other EV. Do bear in mind, a good proportion of them are just tightwads and have the Leaf purely for monetary reasons, they don't like spending money on anything let alone spare parts!
Can I suggest a starting point or two?
1)No Leaf user likes those beeps when doors are left open they drive many to distraction. I have contemplated ripping the dash apart to stifle the damned beeper.
2) The brag screen on switch on where every single time you start the car you have to agree to the T&C's. Once a month would be more than enough.
A halfway decent programmer could sort that out I'm sure. I understand the headunit is made by Clarion and uses a heavily modified version of Windows CE.
Really great points and thank you. The 2 points you made are very interesting and although not specifically in our field, it's definitely worth noting for future development.

Another thread ( Actually about a dozen threads ) refer to an obvious blooper made by Nissan with the Leaf where the top suspension strut on the UK drivers side gets full of water draining from the windscreen wiper spindle. That would eventually lead to a failure of the area. People use a variety of measures to cap that area and some Ebay sellers make 3D printed versions. But a properly marketed unit would have many thousands of buyers who are still blissfully unaware of this impending disaster.

This is great, it definitely looks like there would be a market for a manufactured solution. Thank you

This thread also looks like a good candidate for you. Seems to be fairly common and mega expensive for OE parts but cheap as second hand spares. Perhaps a good aftermarket product to undercut Nissan.

Nissan leaf 2016 brake failure.
This is definitely in our field and exactly the sort of bits we'd be looking to create a solution for. I've added it to the ever growing list of Leaf parts! It looks like this only affects the gen 1 right? From what I have read they updated it for the later models post 2016? Thanks again for this.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,928 Posts
I'd like to see someone manufacturing a 22kw AC charger substitute for the 6.6kw standard onboard one and also a CCS to chademo convertor - like the opposite of Tesla's chademo to CCS.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts