Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon all,

I am currently carrying out some research into common faults on electric vehicles and understand that the best source of information is directly from the users of them!

My goal is to gain an understanding of what parts are commonly failing on electric vehicles with the intention of creating aftermarket, therefore cheaper, solutions for customers. This would only really benefit the users of the vehicles as the cars fall out of their warranty period.

There are loads of benefits to this, vehicle owners will end up with cheaper repair bills as they won't be going directly to dealers and be charged extortionate prices and non-dealer garages will gain more of an understanding of EV and repairs reducing the current fear of working on the "unknown".

The parts in question where we would be able to help would be mainly electrical / mech-electrical aimed specifically at EV's (PTC, heat pumps, coolant pumps, sensors) or anything specific that an EV would use.

It would be appreciated if people could post what parts have failed on their i3's during their ownership. So far i've seen a few posts regarding air con condensers, although surprisingly not so much about air con pumps?

Many thanks and kind regards,
Daniel

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had a rear brake actuator failure on my 2015 I3, that meant that the handbrake would not release.

Also just after purchase (second hand so under the dealers warranty) it was throwing seatbelt system errors. BMW wanted to replace the computer, but a local Auto electrician, found a bad cable connector and hard wired it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts