Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon all,

The below is a bit of a copy and paste from another subsection that I posted in earlier.

I am currently carrying out some research into common faults on electric vehicles and understand that the best source of information is directly from the users of them!

My goal is to gain an understanding of what parts are commonly failing on electric vehicles with the intention of creating aftermarket (therefore cheaper) solutions for customers. The parts in questions would be mainly electrical / mech-electrical aimed specifically at EV's (think PTC, heat pumps) or anything specific that an EV would use.

So far i've seen that the charging can be troublesome with the BCI charge fault although this looks like it's mainly an earthing problem so therefore not specifically the area that I work in.

It would be appreciated if people could post what parts have failed on their Zoe's, i'm hoping that there will be quite a lot of data with Zoe's due to how long they have been on the road for, I can't believe it's nearly a decade since they were put into production!

Many thanks and kind regards,
Daniel

·
Registered
Renault Zoe Intens Q210 22kw 2013
596 Posts
well a couple of things spring to mind:

the dreaded 'STOP- electrical fault on the dash' 9 times out of 10 tends to only be that the 12v battery under the bonnet has either come to the end of its life and needs replacing with a new one.

The Zoe is very finnicky about being charged with a good earth on a charger , if not a perfect grounded earth the Zoe will throw a hissy fit and refuse to start charging , where other EV's may charge perfectly on the same charger.

The Climate control sometimes stops working as it should and the temp sender on the drivers door mirror needs heating up with a hair dryer to reset the climate control system.

The Zoe aircon suffers from leaky seals in the pipes and then aircon gas escaping , then sometimes the compressor runs on no gas and then it can break the compressor as it short circuits to earth on the car.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,272 Posts
I repeat this all too often.

Orange error messages are usually transient. Will clear of their own accord, usually after a power down, leave for 5mins, then restart. Or if they don't will go after a full charge on AC at home or specifically charging the 12v battery.

Red Error messages more of often than not spell expensive repairs and definitely warrant a dealer visit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well a couple of things spring to mind:

the dreaded 'STOP- electrical fault on the dash' 9 times out of 10 tends to only be that the 12v battery under the bonnet has either come to the end of its life and needs replacing with a new one.

The Zoe is very finnicky about being charged with a good earth on a charger , if not a perfect grounded earth the Zoe will throw a hissy fit and refuse to start charging , where other EV's may charge perfectly on the same charger.

The Climate control sometimes stops working as it should and the temp sender on the drivers door mirror needs heating up with a hair dryer to reset the climate control system.

The Zoe aircon suffers from leaky seals in the pipes and then aircon gas escaping , then sometimes the compressor runs on no gas and then it can break the compressor as it short circuits to earth on the car.
Thanks Andy, I appreciate your comments. I actually just stumbled across one of your old threads regarding the air con issues you were having.

This looks like it could be a key area for us, especially as the air con pump is responsible for the heat pump both hot and cold systems of the car. Am I right in thinking this also cools and heats the battery during charging also?

From a quick google it also looks like these parts are not easily available either - which would spark a huge interest for me in terms of developing and manufacturing a solution.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,272 Posts
air con pump is responsible for the heat pump both hot and cold systems of the car. Am I right in thinking this also cools and heats the battery during charging also?
Firstly I'd say its Hot OR Cold, not both at the same time. Zoe heatpump can't physically run both ways at the same time. Worth noting.

There generally isn't active heating of the pack during charging, not from the headpump anyway. The battery pack can run on fans which just draws air through or cooled where the AC blows into the pack. If you were on a long fast journey in winter and say the pack was hot enough to cool (unlikely to be honest) you couldn't for example head the cabin, the car just won't do it.

You want your AC working, don't be fobbed off with a "They're all weak" from the dealer. The AC circuit is used to cool the motor (charger) and the battery pack. If the AC isn't working then your car won't charge at its full potential. If a battery leased car and the car suffers damage to the pack then you are liable as its your responsibility to ensure the AC is working.

Reactions: Daniel270766

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Firstly I'd say its Hot OR Cold, not both at the same time. Zoe heatpump can't physically run both ways at the same time. Worth noting.

There generally isn't active heating of the pack during charging, not from the headpump anyway. The battery pack can run on fans which just draws air through or cooled where the AC blows into the pack. If you were on a long fast journey in winter and say the pack was hot enough to cool (unlikely to be honest) you couldn't for example head the cabin, the car just won't do it.

You want your AC working, don't be fobbed off with a "They're all weak" from the dealer. The AC circuit is used to cool the motor (charger) and the battery pack. If the AC isn't working then your car won't charge at its full potential. If a battery leased car and the car suffers damage to the pack then you are liable as its your responsibility to ensure the AC is working.
Thank you for the information Sandy. That's right and what I meant regarding the heating and/or cooling, ie it is responsible for both managements much like a car steering rack is responsible for turning both left and right (not simultaneously).

That's useful information to know though and it's certainly pointing me in the right direction. The next step would be to gain an understanding as to how many of these have failed and how many replacement units have been sold - information I imagine would be difficult to get.

What's interesting is that the Smart ForFour Electric shares the same AC part number which is good news as there would be potentially that market to supply to further down the line.

·
Registered
722 Posts
What area of manufacturing expertise do you have? Can you remanufacture air con pumps for example? There are many different failures on different EVs, presumably you're not able to repair everything?!

I work for Hevra so if you can give an idea of what you're able to source/repair then I can give you some common issues to investigate.

Cheers.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Am I right in thinking this also cools and heats the battery during charging also?
From my understanding:

The ZE20 had no battery heating at all (apart from Nordic country / cold climate country zoe)

battery heating can be carried out by 380v DC HV PTC electrical heating , a connector at the back of the BCB or other control unit has/had a HV pin out for cold country Zoe and blocked with a plate on the ZE20 sold in milder climates.

The ZE 40 has Battery heating as well as cooling I think - but I could not tell you if it has battery heating by PTC or by Heatpump mode .. or both.

and if the system detects that the gas/refrigerent has gone/leaked out of the aircon system 9or pump broke) it may still be possible to charge the zoe still but at the lower rate of 7kw or under , but not at 22kw (or 43ac if a Q model) because that definately would require aircon to cool down the batteries while charging (and especially on mild hot days)
But I am not an expert by a long shot, its only from articles I have read and what I have made of how the system works.

I am sure there are more other knowledgeable people on here will say if i have it wrong.

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,616 Posts
Adding to the previous posts:
  • the AC system is unable to do battery heating, only cooling
  • Battery heating when implemented is always PTC, and can AFAIK only be activated when using scheduled charging. Makes sense if you think about it.
  • the AC system is not cooling the motor or the power electronics. The electronics are water cooled (simple closed circuit with a radiator), the motor is on that same circuit for a Q model, the motor of an R model is entirely air cooled, as in, no AC and no water involved. Basically a dedicated blower.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
30,757 Posts
It would be appreciated if people could post what parts have failed on their Zoe's
The rather useless part that failed on mine is common to most Zoes; Renault UK.

Let me know if you can figure out how to fix that.

·
Registered
596 Posts
The rather useless part that failed on mine is common to most Zoes; Renault UK.

Let me know if you can figure out how to fix that.
Way to fix that is people boycott Renault which will eventually shut down Renault as a company into liquidation and consequently close Renault UK ... but we all know thats never going to happen.

Even when you have heard people in the past say "I am never ever going to buy another Renault!" ... and they do.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
30,757 Posts
Way to fix that is people boycott Renault which will eventually shut down Renault as a company into liquidation and consequently close Renault UK ... but we all know thats never going to happen.
I think not. Lancia did not shut down because UK people boycotted their cars (which dissolved in UK rain). They had 'the Italians' that still were willing to prop them up.

... Renault has 'the French' ... which encapsulates the issue in multiple dimensions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts