Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV. Passat GTE, Lotus Exige and eMTB
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to order a company car in February.
Historically I have always had diesels and because I have arthritis in my knees, I need a comfortable seat with enough support under the knee or high driving position.

I can drive anywhere from 20 to 300 miles in a day.

My current list of cars are the following.
Volvo XC90 T8 hybrid.
Volvo XC60 hybrid.
Volvo V70 hybrid.
Tesla Model 3 (any model variant).
I have the slim possibility of a Polestar 2.
Option to choose something else within £40-50k budget that is hybrid or diesel.

Questions....
How low are the seats in a Model 3? I have driven the Volvo V70 and they were fine (great seats) as the seat support under the knees was sufficient.
How much higher are the seats in a Polestar?
Hybrids are great for tax but on a long drive, they will drink petrol, making them in my mind pointless?
Do I stick with a diesel?

Getting to a Tesla or Polestar showroom isn't going to happen for the foreseeable future.
Interested in your thoughts and opinions.

·
EV Convert
iPace HSE / 2019 and eTron 55 / 2020
711 Posts
Colleague has an XC90 T8, it's a fantastic car, incredibly comfortable.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Colleague has an XC90 T8, it's a fantastic car, incredibly comfortable.
Agreed, I have the XC90 at the moment but yesterday I put £82 in the tank for 410mile range!
The hybrid would be nearly as bad when I do longer business runs.

I really like the ideal of an electric car/Tesla.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
We had a 2011 Volvo V70 SE Lux, and now have a Model 3.

For me, personally (75-80kg, 5ft7) I find the model 3 seats very comfortable and as good as those in the volvo - better in some ways (2D lumbar), less good in others (even though the leather in the P3 volvos was a bit meh, it was still better than the "vegan leather" of the Tesla). I find the model 3 seats more comfortable than our Lexus GS450h Premier (again because of lumbar - the lexus has high and low lumbar, but not proper 2D lumbar) seats as a driver.

I don't find the model 3 seats to be particularly low - the Tesla "skateboard" design means that the seats are a little higher off the ground than you might expect, but I've always been one for having seats set higher up anyway (after passing my test i cut my driving teeth in my parent's 1991 Mitsubishi Shogun).

Whereabouts are you? Tesla owners are generally quite a friendly bunch and many might enjoy the excuse for a drive out to let you have a look at the car (bearing in mind local tiers and restrictions of course!).

Can you also look at the Kia e-Niro (will be quite familiar from your soul!), and how soon does the car have to be delivered - the Skoda Enyaq should be worth a look too!

·
Registered
Jaguar i-Pace 21MY
1,834 Posts
Tesla M3 seats are not high compared to SUV style cars. Suggest you at least sit in one or get a test drive to assess.
Since you are basically a road warrior, you are probably better off sticking with a diesel for the next 2 years, after which there will be a far greater choice of EV’s make/model/styles to choose from.
Only real EV choice at present is a Kia e-Niro.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I cannot comment on comfort - at the end this is individual decision and everyone will like something different. You will really need to book test drive.

However, EV are very cost effective as business owner:
1. You pay no BIK (compare that to diesel!)
2. You can deduct full price from company profits for tax purpose.
In different words - you can buy 2 cars as business for 1 car as a person. Really no brainer.

Plus: lower costs (fuel, no congestion charge, cheap parking in some places in London, no road tax, etc) and more environmentally friendly if you choose good elec supplier.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thank you all, some really good feedback.
I can get a Model 3 pretty much instantly, the others would be a new order.
I would prefer electric, mainly for BIK, I have paid enough over the last 30yrs!

I purchased a Kia Soul EV for the wife recently and had no knee issues in that.

I am based in North Nottingham, just off the M1 junction 27 and 28... So I'll put a thread on the Tesla section nearer the time I need to make a decision (mid Feb).

·
Registered
431 Posts
Definitely go full electric. Model 3 Long Range or Performance if you can handle the fact it's a saloon. Can you not get an i-Pace? The new 320 is very good according to Tesla Bjorn on YouTube. I've driven the 400 and it's amazing. Not that efficient, but lovely.

·
Registered
718 Posts
What about the Skoda Enyaq with the 82kWh battery, though might need to check when it starts shipping if you need it for February.

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
566 Posts
Historically I have always had diesels and because I have arthritis in my knees, I need a comfortable seat with enough support under the knee or high driving position.
I have no idea why having a diesel is good for someone with arthritis! I have 40+ years of arthritis and I would recommend a Hyundai Kona, Kia E-Niro or Tesla to you. I don't know about other EVs but these I know about. (I have a Kona.) Part of buying an EV can be lots of automation, tesla has autopilot for example. Both the Kona and E-Niro come with similar, but Tesla leads. These cars support almost no-pedal and almost no-hands driving. My steering wheel has sensors in it that tell me if I am not holding it. Because of the automation I can hold it with a very light touch and so I keep getting reminders to hold the steering wheel even if I am! So I have to grip the wheel hard every so often.

But otherwise I can drive and drive in a very relaxed way. I don't have to even have my foot on the accelerator or brake, mile after mile, junction after junction. The car stays in lane pretty well, esp on motorways, it adjusts speed to keep a safe distance from the car in front. Of course I can take control but to have a relaxed journey, especially if you have arthritis is a real boon. Believe me I know about arthritis!

·
Registered
Jaguar i-Pace 21MY
1,834 Posts
Definitely go full electric. Model 3 Long Range or Performance if you can handle the fact it's a saloon. Can you not get an i-Pace? The new 320 is very good according to Tesla Bjorn on YouTube. I've driven the 400 and it's amazing. Not that efficient, but lovely.
EV320 is not available in the U.K. only the EV400 version.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Looked at the Jag as it's more SUV and a 100% comfortable for my knees but totally out of my budget range (£50k).
The M3 seems to tick most boxes, just need to sit in one. I suspect the Polestar will be a more comfortable seating position.
I'm also going to look at the VW iD3.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Speaking from somebody who has had a total knee replacement, if you struggle with a condition in both of your knees, then strongly consider a car that has a higher ride height.
Your knee’s will thank you for it in the long term !.
I moved from a sporty VW Golf to a small sized crossover / SUV about 12 months ago.
Getting in and out of the car is a LOT easier than the standard right height of a salon / hatchback.
Not to bad on shorter trips, but longer journeys are a different story.
Buy with your head and not your heart !.

·
Registered
Jaguar i-Pace 21MY
1,834 Posts
Buy with your head and not your heart !.
Good advice. A car that you have to get up into, rather than get down into, is a far better place for anyone with knees, back or other joint issues. We have a Skoda Yeti 4x4 which is so easy to get in and out due to its seating height and comfort. For decades I have always turned and sat in a car with both feet on the ground as this stopped me having ganglion issues. Do the same when getting out the car, swing round and put both feet out before standing up.

Think you will find the Tesla M3 too low, but a lot will depend on your height/build/leg length, so best to try as many as possible in your budget range. A lot of people have seats set down low, so make sure when you get in to adjust seat up as high as you normally have it set. I do this for at least a fist distance to roof from head. Doing that should give a good reference to compare all the cars you are interested in.

Get an excel sheet with your key requirements and rate out of 10 for each car and then you some data to help choose.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
1,155 Posts
I'm also going to look at the VW iD3.
In that case I second @andyswarbs suggestion to seriously look at the e-Niro. The Kona might be a bit small but the e-Niro has some advantages over the ID3 that make it relevant (no software issues, 7 years full warranty, larger battery, interior quality and beter spec'ed than the ID3 in some aspects)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Have researched the id3 last night, I don't like it. The boot is small and poorly designed, I find the interior bland and typical VW scratchy plastic low down.

Will have a look at the e-Niro.

If I could try a Polestar, that would tick every box, it's a slightly higher car, has Volvo's superior seats and build quality. They are like hens teeth at the moment.

·
Registered
Jaguar i-Pace 21MY
1,834 Posts
If I could try a Polestar, that would tick every box, it's a slightly higher car, has Volvo's superior seats and build quality. They are like hens teeth at the moment.
Polestar is impressive and very comfortable, but as you say they are rare as they don’t intend to build masses of them, unlike M3 which is becoming quite common these days. We managed to get a test drive earlier in the year and it was very impressive all round, especially the build quality. You might get lucky and get one, but e-Niro is a good choice too and should be easy to get one.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts