Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning,

I'm sure this has been discussed before but not sure how upto date the conversation is.

My wife has to choose her next company car, we have quite a few options but want to choose the car which will be least damaging to the envirnoment on the whole while not costing her a small fortune in contributions and BIK. We have been looking at the range of PHEV's which the scheme offers, the ones we've narrowed the search down to are listed below. To note her current car is a Mercedes GLA 220 diesel and we have a toddler to consider.

The main issue is, once the world has maybe returned to normal, she will be travelling to her companies main office in Maidenhead from Cheshire once a week. So about a 360 mile round trip. Therefore is it better to get a PHEV or just get the more efficient petrol or diesel ( i know, i know) variants?

Mercedes B250 PHEV (6% BIK)
Volvo XC40 PHEV (12% BIK)
BMW X1 PHEV (10% BIK)
BMW X2 PHEV (11% BIK)

To add the scheme has Peugeot, Toyota and a few other brands as well.

Thanks!

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,111 Posts
Morning,

I'm sure this has been discussed before but not sure how upto date the conversation is.

My wife has to choose her next company car, we have quite a few options but want to choose the car which will be least damaging to the envirnoment on the whole while not costing her a small fortune in contributions and BIK. We have been looking at the range of PHEV's which the scheme offers, the ones we've narrowed the search down to are listed below. To note her current car is a Mercedes GLA 220 diesel and we have a toddler to consider.

The main issue is, once the world has maybe returned to normal, she will be travelling to her companies main office in Maidenhead from Cheshire once a week. So about a 360 mile round trip. Therefore is it better to get a PHEV or just get the more efficient petrol or diesel ( i know, i know) variants?

BMW X1 PHEV (10% BIK)
BMW X2 PHEV (11% BIK)

Thanks!
I presume that there are no BEVs on the list? An M3 would seem ideal ...... ;)

PHEVs are most efficient on short journeys within their battery range, but the question has to be what use other than the weekly Head Office trip will the car have? The stupidity of the BIK rules makes the Mercedes with the Renault engine the obvious choice unless your Wife wants an SUV.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I presume that there are no BEVs on the list? An M3 would seem ideal ...... ;)

PHEVs are most efficient on short journeys within their battery range, but the question has to be what use other than the weekly Head Office trip will the car have? The stupidity of the BIK rules makes the Mercedes with the Renault engine the obvious choice unless your Wife wants an SUV.
No BEV's on the list unfortunately otherwise we would have gone for one.

My wife is small, 5' 1", so wants a car with good driving position, visability and decent boot space for the offspring so cars like the B class and the SUV's meet the criteria. (We went to have a look at the B class yesterday). For the majority of personal journeys we use my M3, other than trips to the tip where the hatchback of the GLA is better.

The question my wife is raising is whether the emissions and MPG from the PHEV will be lower than another low CO2 ICE car seeing that for the majority of the journey will be using the ICE?

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,111 Posts
The question my wife is raising is whether the emissions and MPG from the PHEV will be lower than another low CO2 ICE car seeing that for the majority of the journey will be using the ICE?
Good question, and as usual you'll not get a straight answer. If you had two identical cars with the same ICE running ICE only (the battery being exhausted) at a steady speed then the ICE only version would be very marginally better than the PHEV due to the extra weight of the PHEV. But in reality as soon as you get any speed changes (motorway compressions, roundabouts etc) the PHEV will be marginally more efficient. Add in the 30 miles range of the battery and it will be significantly better, particularly if she can charge at "Head Office" as well as at home making 60 miles out of the 360 petrol free. I'd also add in the advantages of a preconditioned car - there's nothing worse than a long crap day at work with the prospect of a long journey home and having to wait whilst the car defrosts - a PHEV will do this for her and with aircon similarly on hot days.

Reactions: JB83

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
If the company will not premit a pure EV as a company car, I expect best option would be to refuse a company care and insist on the standard 45p per mile. Then get a 2nd hand diesel or a new long range pure EV (Tesla Model 3 has best charging network) .

(If able to charge at the office a midrange pure EV would work, with that distance even a long range EV would need charging but may only need one away from home charge for the round trip)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the company will not premit a pure EV as a company car, I expect best option would be to refuse a company care and insist on the standard 45p per mile. Then get a 2nd hand diesel or a new long range pure EV (Tesla Model 3 has best charging network) .

(If able to charge at the office a midrange pure EV would work, with that distance even a long range EV would need charging but may only need one away from home charge for the round trip)
They don't allow this unfortunately and been informed that there is no charging at work (at the moment at least).

If on the list I would go for a discovery sport PHEV 10% BIK. My wife is about the same size and it is still her most loved car.
Not on the list, think she would like the evoque if it was an option!

·
Banned
843 Posts
Morning,

BMW X1 PHEV (10% BIK)
BMW X2 PHEV (11% BIK)

Thanks!
Get a Tesla model 3 Long Range. 0% Bik to March 2021, then 1% , then 2%. (Disclaimer, i own 50 shares in Tesla)

·
Banned
843 Posts
No BEV's on the list unfortunately otherwise we would have gone for one.
Tell her to resign, and when HR ask why, say she cant work for a company that in 2021 have zero BEV options for company cars when they know full well the BIK is 0% to 2% over the next few years. May as will give her a company club to bash baby seals with.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
If on the list I would go for a discovery sport PHEV 10% BIK. My wife is about the same size and it is still her most loved car.
Wow seems I may have missed something somewhere, when did a Disco Sport become an answer to a question about least environmentally damaging car choice? I haven't looked at PHEVs in a while, but was surprised to see a Disco being discussed on this forum. Last time I looked there wasn't much beyond a Prius in terms of a PHEV that has a decent size battery. Finding there's a 15kW battery in the Disco was a surprise to me. Does it deliver respectable economy and any sensible EV range?

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Finding there's a 15kW battery in the Disco was a surprise to me. Does it deliver respectable economy and any sensible EV range?
Not for a weekly over 300 miles round trip! But the BIK rate indicates it has a useful range for local travel, hence may work for someone with a normal daily commute.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Wow seems I may have missed something somewhere, when did a Disco Sport become an answer to a question about least environmentally damaging car choice? I haven't looked at PHEVs in a while, but was surprised to see a Disco being discussed on this forum. Last time I looked there wasn't much beyond a Prius in terms of a PHEV that has a decent size battery. Finding there's a 15kW battery in the Disco was a surprise to me. Does it deliver respectable economy and any sensible EV range?
I have had a disco sport PHEV using it in work and can squeeze out about 37 miles, and not really tried. I think I could get more in Apollo 13 mode.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I have had a disco sport PHEV using it in work and can squeeze out about 37 miles, and not really tried. I think I could get more in Apollo 13 mode.
That's a pretty useful electric range for local stuff. How effective is it when the plug in charge is gone and it essentially becomes a hybrid (as in the regular long trip mentioned)?

·
Registered
357 Posts
That's a pretty useful electric range for local stuff. How effective is it when the plug in charge is gone and it essentially becomes a hybrid (as in the regular long trip mentioned)?
Didn't really get a chance to see as it was used on local roads, didn't look at the trip meter to see the mpg. Only had around 1000 miles on it. I hadn't realised I was running a petrol straight away. Really really quiet. Once it ran out of EV miles it sort of switches between the two. Smooth switching anyway. I'll try and find the car and take it out for a longer drive. I have been to Birmingham and back a while ago but if was fully charged, then charged at Birmingham for the return. Kinda remember it being over 100+ mpg, but that is using the battery and petrol.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,111 Posts
It could become a spectator sport in your area. :devilish:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts