Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My company are looking at installing charging points at our sites and guess what? I've been asked to look at the project. :eek:

Apparently Costco haven't paid to install their posts as they have had funding.

Can anyone point me in the right direction regarding installing points in a commercial format to kick start the project?

Thanks in advance!

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,324 Posts
The Energy Savings Trust handle the applications for grant funded commercial chargers. Grants are available up to £10,000 for suitable workplace installations I believe. I was talking to them for my site in Scotland but we have not proceeded as yet (much to my frustration). I believe they also handle England.

http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/Travel/Electric-vehicles

I would suggest giving them a call.

HTH

Derek

Reactions: Eddie

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have done only some limited research for my workplace and the few funding schemes I found required the facility to be accessible to the public or for a business that was strategic to the uptake of EV's (which meant car dealerships). Then I realised that if its just for employees use at work, and you're thinking of a domestic style charger then they are cheap anyway (<£400 + install) so just do it (your boss spends more than that on lunches!)

·
Super Moderator
7,473 Posts
The Rolec type2 32amp wallpods are about £280 (ex VAT) each. No grants, no RFID, no requirement for public accesibility. Just plug and charge.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Fantastic.

If you cant find someone who can authorise £280 in about 2 minutes flat you may need to move employer!

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
You'd be amazed the number of companies that don't want their buildings fabric messed with regardless of cost...

Don't go thinking £280 per point is the cost - 10 times that, maybe

·
Registered
2,244 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Also the prickly matter of giving free 'fuel' to one set of employees for private use and not the other set who drive petrol/diesel; not to mention Benefit in Kind taxation.........

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Also the prickly matter of giving free 'fuel' to one set of employees for private use and not the other set who drive petrol/diesel; not to mention Benefit in Kind taxation.........
Electricity isn't considered fuel, according to BiK. Provision of charge points *might" be considered a benefit, but they can apply for an exemption, calling it a "trivial benefit".

·
Registered
625 Posts
Electricity isn't considered fuel, according to BiK. Provision of charge points *might" be considered a benefit, but they can apply for an exemption, calling it a "trivial benefit".
And as for the positive discrimination of a group employees for choosing one type of 'fuel' vs another? Thats a legal prickly one.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
And as for the positive discrimination of a group employees for choosing one type of 'fuel' vs another? Thats a legal prickly one.
No, it really isn't

·
Registered
625 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
No, it really really isn't. Discrimination in the workplace in the legal sense only arises on grounds of gender, religion, sexual orientatation, race, disability, age, employment stats (full vs part time), marriage/civil partnership status and Trade Union membership.

Putting aside the grounds, the premise isn't discrimination (small "d") either, because everyone has a free choice as to the vehicle they drive.

You should think about getting some better advice - because regarding this situation as Discrimination falls into the same category as over-zealous H&S that cancels sports days etc.

If you have an IR issue that large parts of your employee community are going to be hacked off about some people getting workplace charging, it is of course worth discussing, but there is absolutely no Discrimination in play.

Reactions: E Geeza

·
Registered
625 Posts
No, it really really isn't. Discrimination in the workplace in the legal sense only arises on grounds of gender, religion, sexual orientatation, race, disability, age, employment stats (full vs part time), marriage/civil partnership status and Trade Union membership.

Putting aside the grounds, the premise isn't discrimination (small "d") either, because everyone has a free choice as to the vehicle they drive.

You should think about getting some better advice - because regarding this situation as Discrimination falls into the same category as over-zealous H&S that cancels sports days etc.

If you have an IR issue that large parts of your employee community are going to be hacked off about some people getting workplace charging, it is of course worth discussing, but there is absolutely no Discrimination in play.
OK discrimination maybe the wrong word and this is a public forum, so let me take tactical step back to re-visit some documentation. I'll be back

Rather than compromise myself; let me frame this more positively; I would be very interested to hear from any large company who has successfully implemented Electric Car charging for employee use. How did you approach the installation cost? How do you recover the electric cost? What about other electric transport - can electric bikes be plugged in to 3 pin sockets? How do you manage plug-sharing with a limited number of plugs? How do you handle business mileage vs private mileage?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Ok, look forward to hearing back. But I looked into this previously with both internal and external counsel, for the three minutes it took them to tell me what I've passed on here. Still probably counted as a hour, though.

Here's some food for thought while you do that - do you think (either because you think it's fair, or because you think it's too much of a risk not to) that ZCW locations should also provide Petrol, Diesel, LPG, CNG, Hydrogen etc. in order to be fair to non-EV drivers?

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,324 Posts
Electricity is not considered a fuel for company vehicle drivers. An employee using their own vehicle for business use and receiving free charging from their employer is a taxable benefit based on the cost to the employer.

That is my situation so I pay for the charging I receive each month so there is no "cost to the employer" and therefore no "taxable benefit".

As we own the building where I am based (as the Company's Estates Manager) we have fitted a 32A Type 1 tethered charging station to the wall outside my office. Having got the company to do that I am struggling to also get them to fit a "public" charging station.

Derek

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I will be following this thread with interest as my employer is interested in supporting EV use, but how we are going about it is going to be a bit of a stumbling block.

The easiest option I can see is by asking the employee for a fixed amount per month for use of the point, call it £10 a month. Plus if your mileage from your home to work and back for the month is on average 1000 miles x 2p = £20. Total £30 a month.

The fairest option would be to charge the employee by how much kWh is used. This adds cost to the charge point. The cheapest way of doing this would be to add some sort of token meter, each token giving the employee £1 worth of electric. The more expensive way would be to purchase a charge point with some sort of RFID function but this is when costs start spiraling when you need to install 10-20 charge points.

For the foreseeable future I think the easiest option would be to just ask the employee to contribute fairly towards the electric he/she uses. But in 5+ years time hopefully charge stations with built in RFID payments will be at reasonable prices due to economies of scale.

·
Super Moderator
7,473 Posts
Yeah the company I work for (RS components/electrocomponents) is fairly large. The cost for administering a payment/salary sacrifice system was deemed to be greater than the cost of electricity delivered so the points are free. The three we have are quite busy, so fingers crossed they'll add more. With the i3 Rex and the Outlander on the company car scheme there will definitely be lots more on the way!

Reactions: John2

·
Registered
396 Posts
You could provide the electricity for free, and say it is the company contribution to improving public health and being a socially responsible employer.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts