Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Vauxall Corsa E
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Of course, the first time you get a charger put on your house, you'll use the OLEV grant and not really care how much it really costs.

But my existing Pod Point charger is damaged, and they tell me the charger unit (if not the cabling) will have to be replaced for safety reasons. This time it's the house insurance paying, but maybe there are alternatives I should consider.

The Pod Point technology is fine (the Wi-Fi doesn't work, but that's no skin of my nose). But they need to get themselves a new source of plastic mouldings. The case, and the "holster" are both a bit naff and cheap looking for something costing over £800. The damaged cover makes me think of a Frisbee.

·
EV Convert
iPace HSE / 2019 and eTron 55 / 2020
711 Posts
I've got s Chargemaster. And no, the OLEV Hoem Charge grant didn't cover it 'cos my car's not on the scheme. Anyway, it looks fine, works perfectly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For most it probably boils down to costs. I think the OLEV grant is a con. Actually, I think OLEV installers are conning the Government. Their prices are always suspiciously similar to non-subsidised costs from other installers.

As for the units themselves, the Pod-Points start at £279 on their website and I have heard good things about them (so I presume the £800 included fitting and materials which shouldn't be the case for a replacement). I have a Tesla unit (£440 +£200 to fit, non-OLEV) and it's been great, albeit thats not compatible with Type 1 cars. The Zappi (£495) looks good and as others have said it has a technology advantage, particularly if you have solar panels. I have heard numerous failings of Rolec units, but that is just anecdotal so i don't know if there is genuinely any quality issue.

You could also try used from eBay...

·
Madam Legurtz
402 Posts
Hmm, interesting. I'm having a bit of a long drawn out "thing" with Pod Point that is testing my patience (I'm inherently impatient). Just want to get on with it, but comms seems to be very high latency whereas I'd prefer a more prompt response.

I looked at Zappi, the local installer is coming round today to survey a possible install but two things - (1) there seems to be a delay in getting the units of upwards of 4 weeks and (2) the installer has over the phone suggested a Rolec before even seeing the job.

Home electrics being upgraded over the next two weeks, done by 11th Dec, and so I'm wanting the charger install done that same week. Why not?

I, too, am sceptical at how the OLEV grant coupled with the Nissan top up gets consumed by the likes of Pod Point for a max 15m cable run. So they're getting just about £1k per install, going by my maths.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
The OLEV grant only pays 75% of the cost, upto a maximum of £500.

So clearly, they've just directly incentivised the installers to charge £650ish as a minimum, as that price maximises their take. You pay £150ish, and they get the maximum 500quid from the govt.

If they charged £500 instead, you'd still have to pay £125, but they'd only get £375 from the grant.

However to justify that price, they also then need to be seen to charge MORE for jobs that are a bit more complicated, hence huge extra charges for 5 extra meters of cable which retails at about £2 a meter.

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
Posted on this before, but the Viridian EVSE has a cast metal outer casing.

The internals are discrete DIN Rail components (contactors, RCBO of correct type etc). The trick component is the protocol control, another Din Rail component. No custom circuit boards. All of light industrial quality, inside and out.

A satisfied customer

·
Madam Legurtz
402 Posts
Posted on this before, but the Viridian EVSE has a cast metal outer casing.

The internals are discrete DIN Rail components (contactors, RCBO of correct type etc). The trick component is the protocol control, another Din Rail component. No custom circuit boards. All of light industrial quality, inside and out.

A satisfied customer
That's the same as the 32kW Rolec that I ended up with. As simple as it gets, and something that I could work on as needed (outside of warranty of course). The casing is plastic, which keeps me happier than metal might.

The 52 meter extended cable run cost a small fortune but will not need to be done ever again, even if I change the wall point.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Corsa SRI Nav Premium
5,089 Posts
I'm trying to find the easiest and cheapest way to convert my Chargemaster unit to tethered as I'm about to go for another 3 year PCP. The guy at Chargemaster said that I could just lock my cable into the unit by turning off the key. You can't, there is no lock, the key just turns off the electric. Anyone any suggestions?

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,706 Posts
I'm trying to find the easiest and cheapest way to convert my Chargemaster unit to tethered as I'm about to go for another 3 year PCP. The guy at Chargemaster said that I could just lock my cable into the unit by turning off the key. You can't, there is no lock, the key just turns off the electric. Anyone any suggestions?
There have been many suggestions on this theme. They all seem to be some form of shackle bolted to the wall with the cable threaded through. The two plugs on the cable won't pass through that shackle so that it can't be easily nicked.

Recommend a lock to secure an untethered cable

·
Registered
Corsa SRI Nav Premium
5,089 Posts
Thanks for that @Hitstirrer I have a job for the new year. I was thinking about buying a sub 5 metre cable and Aralditeing it in place.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Tie recently added a 6.6 leaf to the zoe we have. I got a chargmaster with the zoe but need one for the leaf. Any recommendations? I believe that a household can have 2 on grant but need clarification

·
Registered
Corsa SRI Nav Premium
5,089 Posts
Tie recently added a 6.6 leaf to the zoe we have. I got a chargmaster with the zoe but need one for the leaf. Any recommendations? I believe that a household can have 2 on grant but need clarification
If you have 2 EV then you can get a grant for the second charger. As I am getting my Zoe replaced with a new Zoe (March) I asked if I could have the second charger but this time a tethered one (basically a swap). This is what I was told, that if it was a second Zoe (EV) I could have a second charger, but as I'm replacing I can't.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts