Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to mobile phone wireless charging which I believe the new Zoe has.

Are there competing technologies in this area? I looked at this sometime ago and there were different options. I thought I'd wait and hopefully the market would settle on one format (bit like the old betamax v vhs battle).

If so is there a list of phones the Zoe ZE50 supports?

Coincidentally my phone is due a replacement. I'm looking for something with dual sim but I thought it's also worth paying a little extra to get something with wireless charging that would work in the Zoe.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,772 Posts
Certainly it supports any phone with the Qi wireless charging standard.

So most phones on the market that have wireless charging.

Not sure what speed and power it provides.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks @cah197. I'll look in to QI charging devices. I didn't want to get something and then find out it didn't work with the Zoe.

Looking online this is the list of compatible devices:
  • Apple iPhone: 11 Pro Max, 11 Pro, 11, XS Max XS, XR, 8, 8 Plus,
  • Samsung Galaxy: Note 10 Plus 5G, Note 10 Plus, Note 10, S10 5G, S10 Plus, S10, S10e, Note 9, S9, S9+, Note 8, S8, S8+, S7, S7 Edge (Plus more devices)
  • Sony: Xperia XZ3, Xperia XZ2 Premium, Xperia XZ2 (Plus more devices)
  • LG: G7 ThinQ, V30, G6 (US version only), G4 (optional), G3 (optional) (Plus more devices)
  • Nokia: 9 PureView, 8 Sirocco
  • Huawei: Mate 30 Pro, P30 Pro, Mate 20 Pro,
  • Microsoft Lumia: 1520, 1020, 930, 929, 928, 920
  • Google: Pixel 4 XL, Pixel 4, Pixel 3 XL, Pixel 3,
  • Nexus: Nexus 6, Nexus 5
  • BlackBerry: Priv (Plus more devices)

Does anyone know the speed the Zoe ZE50 charges wireless phones at?

Just thinking it's not worth paying extra for a faster wireless charging mobile if the Zoe has a lower speed.

·
Registered
Zoe ZE50 GT Line R135
228 Posts
Wireless charging is no use if you intend to use Apple Car Play, which requires a USB connection to work. Not sure if it's the same with Android.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,772 Posts
Wireless charging is no use if you intend to use Apple Car Play, which requires a USB connection to work. Not sure if it's the same with Android.
True - but if you’re just going to work you can play music over Bluetooth.

I’m assuming he knows the way to work. :)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good point. I thought you could use Apple Car Play wireless? If you have to plug in that kind of defeats the benefit of wireless charging.

Anyone know if Android Auto allows wireless as that may sway me to an Android device.

·
Registered
Zoe ZE50 GT Line R135
228 Posts
I've driven a handful of CarPlay-equipped cars and they've all required a USB connection. You can still use Bluetooth for music and phone wirelessly (although through the car's media interface, not the CarPlay interface).

However, having just checked, it appears that some cars do now support wireless. It doesn't say which ones though!

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
2,150 Posts
As of last November, Google says that only the following phones officially support Android Auto Wireless:-
  1. Phone Make and ModelAndroid Version
    Pixel or Pixel XLAndroid 8.0 or higher
    Pixel 2 or Pixel 2 XLAndroid 8.0 or higher
    Pixel 3 or Pixel 3 XLAndroid 8.0 or higher
    Pixel 4 or Pixel 4 XLAndroid 10.0 or higher
    Nexus 5X or 6PAndroid 8.0 or higher
    Samsung Galaxy S8 or S8+Android 9.0 or higher
    Samsung Galaxy S9 or S9+Android 9.0 or higher
    Samsung Galaxy S10 or S10+Android 9.0 or higher
    Samsung Note 8, Note 9 and Note 10Android 9.0 or higher

To get it working wirelessly:-
  1. Connect your phone to your car radio with a USB cable.
  2. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the initial setup procedure.
  3. Disconnect the USB cable.
  4. The next time you get in your car, Android Auto Wireless will automatically connect your phone to your car radio.
Note that if your phone doesn't have Qi wireless charging, you can add it yourself with a plug-in coil from Amazon.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've driven a handful of CarPlay-equipped cars and they've all required a USB connection. You can still use Bluetooth for music and phone wirelessly (although through the car's media interface, not the CarPlay interface).

However, having just checked, it appears that some cars do now support wireless. It doesn't say which ones though!

Interesting. Anyone know if the Zoe supports wireless Apple CarPlay?

·
Premium Member
11,458 Posts
True - but if you’re just going to work you can play music over Bluetooth.

I’m assuming he knows the way to work. :)
I use AA on all journeys as being able to hear a text message can be very useful - "Office closed due to flood - go home" ?

·
Premium Member
11,458 Posts
Interesting. Anyone know if the Zoe supports wireless Apple CarPlay?
I don't believe it does. It needs WiFi which Zoe doesn't have so unlikely to get in future either. Not many manufacturers have added support yet and Renault aren't on the last list I saw. Also, I still don't think any EU cars have Wireless AA today either.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I don't believe it does. It needs WiFi which Zoe doesn't have so unlikely to get in future either. Not many manufacturers have added support yet and Renault aren't on the last list I saw. Also, I still don't think any EU cars have Wireless AA today either.
BMW Apple CarPlay is wireless. With both of our iPhones paired with the car, I found it to be a bit of a pain in the rear finding the wrong phone connected to the car as I drove down the driveway. Eventually my wife's phone with her in the house would be out of range but it wouldn't automatically connect my phone. In fact it was quite a faff to convince it that it was indeed in the car with me and already paired to the car.

In short, with USB CarPlay in my company car, I'd say wired is better. It also charges the phone when connected. The wireless pad in her forthcoming Zoe 50 will be useful if we're both out in the car together with both phones.

·
Registered
503 Posts
For both android auto and Apple CarPlay, the connection is wired only.

for short journey I use Bluetooth connection to play music.

for long journeys I use CarPlay (usb), for the navigation.

in both situations you can use the 3rd stalk to change the song or adjust volume, so it makes no real difference.

one complaint I have about easy link is that the navigation is horrendous compared to previous generation Zoe! The search is google enabled, which is great, but the instructions are from tomtom I think, and on Ze50 they’re pretty poor :( hence I use Apple Maps, which, although is hilarious when pronouncing German road names, seems to be easy to understand. But this is a personal preference, others will find easy link to be great probably or will suggest waze

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,772 Posts
one complaint I have about easy link is that the navigation is horrendous compared to previous generation Zoe! The search is google enabled, which is great, but the instructions are from tomtom I think, and on Ze50 they’re pretty poor :( hence I use Apple Maps,
Good to know I didn’t waste money on the navigation pack then. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts