Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You probably have a good idea of how the Voltec Propulsion System works by now. If not then there are some good explanations on this forum.

It is a complex system. It has a planetary gear system, 3 clutches, 2 electric motors/generators and a petrol range extending motor.

Does this complexity worry you?

I have to admit that it is a concern for us. We initially ruled out the Ampera or Volt because we felt that it was simply too complex. However, the Vauxhall lifetime warranty have given us more confidence now and we are now happy again to go ahead but it is a revolutionary system and only time will tell if it will be reliable.

What do you think?

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
The warranty is the clincher for me... Things used to go wrong a lot more than they do now (have you seen how much they charge for labour at the garage?) a company like GM won't get it badly wrong, as it'll cost them too much.. instead the costs have gone in upfront to make sure it works.. I think this is partly why we have had to wait so long since the car was first test driven (a long time ago).

All of the systems are electronically controlled there is no way you can mechanically abuse the parts, you can't drop the clutch or grind the gears.. if something goes wrong it's a hardware production/design failure(warranty) or the software at fault(warranty) not the driver.. basically its all in Vauxhall/Gm's court with such automation..

So no I'm not worried as long as the warranty is up to spec. (I will be checking Servicing costs before I buy though!)

BUT I do have one problem with the lifetime warranty being first owner only. It means I cannot resell the car with the same reassurance for the second owner.. this devalues the resale price, meaning the car is worth less at resale to a second owner(no warranty) than it is to me as the first owner (with warranty) at the same point... I don't see how Vauxhall are encouraging existing owners to trade up for a new model?! .. as its better value for me to keep the older car rather than selling for less than it is worth to me... So I am looking to buy this car as a keeper for the next 8-10 years, until the warranty runs out.

The way I see it, there is no physical difference between person A and person B, and whether A owns first then B or B owns first then A. So why remove the warranty? The answer is in Vauxhall's deception. There is no lifetime warranty because they are gambling that 50% of cars are sold at 3 yrs 75% sold by 5 yrs so the actual Warranty period averages out at a far lower 4 years of warranty per vehicle, rather than the stated lifetime figure, this is called marketing, or alternatively massaging the figures/a trick/a lie/deception. and in my opinion it is just BAD marketing. To be seen as good, honest and fair, you should be treating all customers/owners fairly. If they only want to offer a 4yr warranty then be straight about it, be fair and upfront and only offer a 4 yr warranty but do it fairly and offer it to all... Using 'marketing' or tricks and deception is not the way to deal with intelligent customers.

As I discussed with a few people at the test drive I like the Ampera and the technology I'm not buying because it's Vauxhall! they still have a way to go to win me over...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts