Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all,

After some help/advice

I purchased my 30KWH Leaf second hand in March. Due to everything that has been going on in the world it had only been used locally until recently. I had some reservations on the range I could get out of it but these really came to a head about two weeks ago when I only just limped to a charger after using 94% charge doing only 60.6 miles. I then popped it on the 6.6 charger and within 3 hours it had charged up to 96% (this shouldn't be possible?) I thought maybe it was my driving so I started to closely monitor my driving and miles per KWH.

Below you can see some info just from the last few days, I seem to get expected milage from the first 20% of the battery, but once it drops below 80% things go downhill - see the 67.8 mile trip on 4/7 as a prime example.

I have used a total charge figure of 25 kwh to work out as leaf spy says I have 25.3 KWH when fully charged

I have also included some screenshots from leaf spy for reference - one is it at fully charged, one shows the balance

My concerns are:
I can't seem to get the range expected from the car after the first 20%, given that my average mile per KWH is around 5 (the 4s are my parents driving) I would expect to be able to get more than mileage I am out of a full charge.
The battery balance is also a concern, comparing this to others I have seen 151mv seems a lot ??
The battery seems to charge way quicker than it should - yesterday, off the 3 pin charger it put 37% charge into the car (according to the dash) in just 2 hours

Any thoughts/suggestions? I have it booked in with Nissan to have a look at it in 2 weeks, but I worry they will plug it in, see the basic info and just say its fine

dateStart ChargeStart RangeStart miles per kWhEnd chargeEnd RangeMiles DoneAVG mile per kwh at journey endAircon Used?Used percentageAVG KWH * 25 Used percentageRemaining KWH Used KWH Expected mileage (KWH*avg mile per KWh)Actual vs expected milageComments
4/7100121reset 8610819.25.1No14122.41421.53.517.851.352 Adults 2 Children
4/7100127reset 192567.85No81120814.7520.25101.25-33.451 Adult. first 19% used for 25 miles, remaining 42 miles took up 62%
5/7100124reset7994234.4Yes21105.62119.755.2523.1-0.12 Adults 2 Children
6/779944.4374117.94.1Yes4298.44214.510.543.05-25.151 Adult 1 Child
6/774814.13539184.1No3998.43915.259.7539.975-21.9751 Adult 1 child for half, 1 adult 2 children for half

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
925 Posts
I had a similar story and got my car back last week after having 2 cells replaced, looks like you could also have a weak cell

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
On your car it is 8 years or 100,000 miles down to 70% capacity, and there is the issue - you may have more than that at present. However, Nissan are being reasonable and fixing cars with a clear issue that yours appears to have. As usual it is one of the rear modules - those are the ones that tend to overheat and get damaged. John can give you chapter and verse on how he got his sorted, and other people have had the same positive experience. Be prepared for the car to take a two week holiday to Sunderland.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
925 Posts
Basically I printed several screen shots off from leaf spy at various SOC , and wipe a word document clearly outlining the teams dropping, the gom unreliability, the vat would only take 12kw from near empty to full, Loss of range and the battery percent dropping like a lead balloon From about 60%

Took it in and they tested it and said it’s V “weird” but they too noticed the two low cells.

Nissan said to run another test CVLI then I had to wait while Nissan looked at the result.

Then they just said we will handed it in for replacement Cells, got shipped up to Sunderland and back to Sussex, so opposite end of country in 3-4 days, so turn around was fast.

I now have a bit of a weird leaf, with s as V SOH of about 86, a Hx of 74, but I now have an easy range of 112 miles!

I even drove it like I stole it yesterday, up hills, fast and in D only and still got fed up waiting for my charge level to drop managed near 90 miles of bad EV driving with tons of hard accelerating and breaking!

So I don’t know I should have a not that good range with those readings but it just keeps going!

Nissan have been excellent all the way through, even their call center to get my app working.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Basically I printed several screen shots off from leaf spy at various SOC , and wipe a word document clearly outlining the teams dropping, the gom unreliability, the vat would only take 12kw from near empty to full, Loss of range and the battery percent dropping like a lead balloon From about 60%

Took it in and they tested it and said it’s V “weird” but they too noticed the two low cells.

Nissan said to run another test CVLI then I had to wait while Nissan looked at the result.

Then they just said we will handed it in for replacement Cells, got shipped up to Sunderland and back to Sussex, so opposite end of country in 3-4 days, so turn around was fast.

I now have a bit of a weird leaf, with s as V SOH of about 86, a Hx of 74, but I now have an easy range of 112 miles!

I even drove it like I stole it yesterday, up hills, fast and in D only and still got fed up waiting for my charge level to drop managed near 90 miles of bad EV driving with tons of hard accelerating and breaking!

So I don’t know I should have a not that good range with those readings but it just keeps going!

Nissan have been excellent all the way through, even their call center to get my app working.
Thanks, this is really helpful

I was going to continue with the data gathering and present that to them when I take it in, will get various leaf spy printscreens as well

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
925 Posts
They seem to be doing a lot of cell replacements!

wonder if they are regretting the 8 year warrenty?

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Thanks, this is really helpful

I was going to continue with the data gathering and present that to them when I take it in, will get various leaf spy printscreens as well
The ones to get are the voltage differences at as low a SoC as you dare, then again after a full recharge including the balancing (when it stays charging at despite being at 100%). This will show the issue with the cell(s).

·
Super Moderator
7,529 Posts
They seem to be doing a lot of cell replacements!

wonder if they are regretting the 8 year warrenty?
Probably. Mine would have had a full pack replacement before the 8 years was up. (mine only came with the 5 year/60k)

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
714 Posts
I always thought that it was not wise to mention to the Dealer that you have been using LEAFSPY - if you admit to them that you have been connecting devices to the OBDII port, then they may get a bit shirty and invalidate the warranty.

Just an observation - probably best to emphasis the charging and range limitations as there seems more than enough evidence of weak cell activity, to get the necessary manufacturers fix.

·
Super Moderator
7,529 Posts
The screenshot which says "Weak Cells" with the numbers is quite convincing though!

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
925 Posts
Nah as long as your using a CE certified device they cannot do much, that’s the reason why it’s now universal to stop the closed dealer only rip off!

If they mention in future they don’t recommend LeafSpy I shall explain that LeafSpy detected a problem that required battery repair that both their consult system and 300 or so inspection on an approved Nissan car missed!

Dont have any of it now! Id also question how they can sell a Leaf using the old fashioned miles done model that doesn’t work for an EV, they need education to be checking the pack before sale, if not I will do it myself!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Morning all,

After some help/advice

I purchased my 30KWH Leaf second hand in March. Due to everything that has been going on in the world it had only been used locally until recently. I had some reservations on the range I could get out of it but these really came to a head about two weeks ago when I only just limped to a charger after using 94% charge doing only 60.6 miles. I then popped it on the 6.6 charger and within 3 hours it had charged up to 96% (this shouldn't be possible?) I thought maybe it was my driving so I started to closely monitor my driving and miles per KWH.

Below you can see some info just from the last few days, I seem to get expected milage from the first 20% of the battery, but once it drops below 80% things go downhill - see the 67.8 mile trip on 4/7 as a prime example.

I have used a total charge figure of 25 kwh to work out as leaf spy says I have 25.3 KWH when fully charged

I have also included some screenshots from leaf spy for reference - one is it at fully charged, one shows the balance

My concerns are:
I can't seem to get the range expected from the car after the first 20%, given that my average mile per KWH is around 5 (the 4s are my parents driving) I would expect to be able to get more than mileage I am out of a full charge.
The battery balance is also a concern, comparing this to others I have seen 151mv seems a lot ??
The battery seems to charge way quicker than it should - yesterday, off the 3 pin charger it put 37% charge into the car (according to the dash) in just 2 hours

Any thoughts/suggestions? I have it booked in with Nissan to have a look at it in 2 weeks, but I worry they will plug it in, see the basic info and just say its fine

dateStart ChargeStart RangeStart miles per kWhEnd chargeEnd RangeMiles DoneAVG mile per kwh at journey endAircon Used?Used percentageAVG KWH * 25Used percentageRemaining KWHUsed KWHExpected mileage (KWH*avg mile per KWh)Actual vs expected milageComments
4/7100121reset8610819.25.1No14122.41421.53.517.851.352 Adults 2 Children
4/7100127reset192567.85No81120814.7520.25101.25-33.451 Adult. first 19% used for 25 miles, remaining 42 miles took up 62%
5/7100124reset7994234.4Yes21105.62119.755.2523.1-0.12 Adults 2 Children
6/779944.4374117.94.1Yes4298.44214.510.543.05-25.151 Adult 1 Child
6/774814.13539184.1No3998.43915.259.7539.975-21.9751 Adult 1 child for half, 1 adult 2 children for half

View attachment 132097 View attachment 132098
I had a similar issue my complete Nissan cell rplacement story is in the following thread

·
Registered
340 Posts
Even after only having it for 4 days now, I am fairly concerned that my March 2017 Acenta 30 has a similar problem to yours Evil Doc T. I am in the process of getting hold of an OBD2 to check it out with Leaf Spy.

I'll have a better idea by the end of the week I suspect.

Good luck with yours, keep us posted.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
925 Posts
Two of the best tests are:

1) Total range from 100% to VLBW driving with everything off, as flat as you can and a nice steady speed of between say 4-060, I drove from Worthing to Porchester to do this.

2) Use both your odometers, reset A from 0 for total milage, then keep it on B and reset every 10% drop in battery health.

By doing this I was able to show that until about 60% I was able to get about 1 mile per percent, then after it dropped, by about 40% I was getting something like 1 mile per 8% of battery.

I downloaded. voice recorder for my phone and kept it running on the journey so I could keep commenting on the above readings and then wrote them up after.

I know people on here ignoramus's the GOM, but Nissan seemed interested in mine being completely wrong, so keep checking how that's changing too as you use your batter SOC.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Wow John so you got 40miles from the first 40% used and from there on you got another 8 miles? That's criminal.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts