Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
1,121 Posts
Sir! I had a funny idea that was coming!.

No I got more than that as towards 20% it began to stabilise and I regained 1 mile per percent. It was very odd with my pack.

Whats happened that's making you question yours?

·
Registered
363 Posts
First journey back from dealers. Started at 120gom, test drive dropped it to 110 and then I started a 78 mile journey home.

After a couple of miles it settled into the gom always being 20-25 miles higher than distance to end of journey. That was until the final 20 mins of the journey when it rapidly dropped to the point I had less than 10 miles on the gom when I arrived home. There was a very clear rapid drop of gom.

I'll get a better idea after tomorrow.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
1,121 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the GOM on such a new car, its getting used to you and your driving habits and re-calculating I would think.

The best indication is full charge to VLBW as above and seeing how many miles you get. Completing that 78 miles was good especially since your still learning the best way to drive the Leaf, so give it a good long drive to really test that range, just make sure you have a plan to end it near a rapid that's working! LoL

·
Registered
205 Posts
Once you have leafspy up and running when the car says soc 0% see what leafspy says for me it said 25%
so I had 25% charge in the battery that I could not use on a 24Kw thats a big chunk of range gone !
What kills it is the mV delta as the BMS works on the lowest cell voltage, once any cell hits a r
pre determined voltage the BMS assumes that the battery is well balanced and therefore it is almost fully discharged regardless of how much is actually remaining.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Cheers Layzee, that's a good bit of tech info there.

I've currently done 78 miles and am down to 36%. On the face of it that sounds pretty good, suggesting 1.2 miles per 1% (I'm seeing 4.4/kwh average adjusted for odometer error).

However yesterday I got 44 miles for 34% battery use and I didnt recharge. Today I've lost another 29% for just 32 miles. So I stand at 37% and with that kind of drop off curve, I am now concerned that my 22 mile journey home (GoM saying I've got another 50 miles BTW!!) is going to be tight. We shall see but I will be absolutely livid if I am limping home on the dual carriageway at 30 mph to conserve range.

I have decided I must get the connector and LeafSpy, it's driving me nuts :) Will be ordering this vgate one tonight, unless somebody shouts that they dont work with Leafs/LeafSpy on Android!

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,139 Posts
The LEAF is very sensitive to temperature for its range, and the dip in temperature in the last couple of days will drop your range considerably as you have experienced. But with 37% you'll have no problem doing 22 miles. As you'll have picked up from @Layzee the remaining battery % on the LEAF is calculated from the lowest cell voltage so whilst pessimistic in comparison to the energy remaining it accurately shows what the car will give you (which frankly is its purpose - who cares how much is remaining when it will not give you any more!).

I'd be careful with your choice of Dongle, particularly if you are an Android user rather than Crapple.I have no knowledge of the quality of the vgate devices but just a generic concern.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
1,121 Posts

Oi!!!! :mad:🍏🍏🍎🍎🍏🍏🍎🍎🍏🍎🍏🍎🍏🍎🍏🍎🍏🍎🍏🍎🍏🍎🍏🍎🍏🍎🍏🍎🍏🍎🍏🍎🍏🍎🍏🍎🍏🍎🍏🍎🍏🍎🍏🍎🍏🍎🍏🍎🍏🍎🍏🍎🍏🍎🍏🍎🍏🍎🍏🍎🍏🍎🍏🍎🍏🍎🍏🍎🍏🍎🍏🍎🍏🍎🍏🍎🍏🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
1,121 Posts
From the LeafSpy Manual (Reproduced here for education and help only, all credit and copyright to LeafSpy Creator/s)

iOS Bluetooth 4.x LE OBDII Adapters
The currently supported Bluetooth 4.x LE adapters are as follows. (Product Name : Bluetooth Broadcast Name : Speed class) Be sure you get the Bluetooth 4.x LE version of the OBDII adapter and not a standard Bluetooth or WiFi adapter with the same name. The letters A, B, C refer to relative speed executing commands with A being the fastest and C the slowest.
  • LELink : OBDBLE : B
  • H580 : IOS-HHOBD : A
  • Viecar : Viecar : C
  • Carista : Carista : C
  • Kiwi3byPLX:Kiwixx:B
  • Vgate : IOS-Vlink : A
    Bluetooth 4.x LE adapters that are known to Not work with LeafSpy Pro and the Leaf are: "Diagbox", "Carapp V200", "iOBD2 mini", "Mini OBDII" and adapters by DNT. These use a different chipset and do not support the ELM protocol or do not support the full ELM command set needed to communicate with Nissan's proprietary protocol used by the Leaf.

Reactions: Scorzon

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
1,121 Posts
The LELink is the one to get I believe..

LELink Bluetooth Low Energy BLE OBD-II OBD2

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
1,121 Posts
Cheers Layzee, that's a good bit of tech info there.

I've currently done 78 miles and am down to 36%. On the face of it that sounds pretty good, suggesting 1.2 miles per 1% (I'm seeing 4.4/kwh average adjusted for odometer error).

However yesterday I got 44 miles for 34% battery use and I didnt recharge. Today I've lost another 29% for just 32 miles. So I stand at 37% and with that kind of drop off curve, I am now concerned that my 22 mile journey home (GoM saying I've got another 50 miles BTW!!) is going to be tight. We shall see but I will be absolutely livid if I am limping home on the dual carriageway at 30 mph to conserve range.

I have decided I must get the connector and LeafSpy, it's driving me nuts :) Will be ordering this vgate one tonight, unless somebody shouts that they dont work with Leafs/LeafSpy on Android!

View attachment 132146
That sounds pretty normal tho..

100% - 66% = 44 miles (Used 34%)
66% - 37%= 32 miles (Used 29%)
Lets say you get 30 miles from 37% for that last bit of battery that gives a total of 106 miles.

So that sounds about right, depending on driving skill and settings in car. Of course temp and road type play a part too.

The big test is of Course that you have all your cells at the same level in LeafSpy, and of course that you can get to VLBW from 37% and gt 30 miles, which is doable, I also slow down towards that to eek as much out as I can.

Fingers crossed everything it fine.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Cheers folks, I just cant help thinking it is only 3 years and 20k miles old and the Nissan report showed 5 stars for all the usual stats that cause battery degradation, you know, very few fast charges, not left standing at very high or low levels of charge, driven conservatively etc.

So I am hoping that at most it might have 4-5% drop, which is in reality a 1 kwh ish of useable battery, so rounding down to 26kwh and a steady average of 4.4 per kwh I should be getting 114. But there is not a hope in hell of that I reckon I'll be lucky to reach 100miles.

I was aware that yesterday was especially warm, not so much today.

What the hell, I'm loving it :)

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
1,121 Posts
Oh those Nissan battery reports are not worth the paper they are written on!!!! Mine was also 5 stars on a 3 year old with 17k miles! My little report said EXCELLENT across it, however completely ignoring the fact I had 2 faults cells!!!!!

Also the garage knew the owners of my car and it was a little old couple who literally took it to the shops once a week, Im guessing they had it sat on charge the rest of the time accounting for my poor SOH! Again Nissan battery report reckons its a perfect battery! LoL

I don't mind tho I LOVE my car and have become obsessed with it! LoL

·
Registered
363 Posts
LELink Bluetooth Low Energy BLE OBD-II OBD2 ordered from Amazon! I can now stew over the weekend while it is in transit (yes I am also a Free Postage Ho/Tart, always force myself to wait :) )

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
So I have done some further testing, here is a journey last night, I stopped and recorded the data every 10% or so

Charge remaining Miles RemainingMiles Travelled Average miles per kwh

Does really well until the 73%, somewhere between 62-68% it started to dive,

I got several leafspy print screens but the most telling was the last one

Not the SOC is 51% but as per the above the dash was reading 26%!

I have caculated based on my average miles per kwh I lost 36 miles

I also got the weak cells warning!

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,139 Posts
The dash is a more realistic interpretation of the data for the purposes of how far you can go than LEAFSpy in this case. Regardless of the amount of energy remaining in most of the modules the car will stop based on the lowest cell value, and one is completely knackered.
As @Edd Beesley says it's dealer time, and only complain on the basis of the symptoms and do not mention LEAFSpy - it'll only deflect the argument. Let them test it their way and just insist that your table shows something isn't right.
FWIW you clearly only have one bad module unlike @JohnMars who had two, but the effect is the same. The improvement in his range has been worth the effort of complaining.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
The dash is a more realistic interpretation of the data for the purposes of how far you can go than LEAFSpy in this case. Regardless of the amount of energy remaining in most of the modules the car will stop based on the lowest cell value, and one is completely knackered.
As @Edd Beesley says it's dealer time, and only complain on the basis of the symptoms and do not mention LEAFSpy - it'll only deflect the argument. Let them test it their way and just insist that your table shows something isn't right.
Yeah, I am going to go in with my information and ask them to find a way to explain why I am magically losing miles after the 70% mark, I have specifically asked for a CVLI as well so that should hopefully identify it straight away

·
Registered
363 Posts
Good luck Evil Doc. I presume your battery is still under warranty given the mileage. I'll watch this with interest. My connector arrives at lunchtime today and I'm unconscionably excited at the prospect, given I'm a middle aged man who really should know the feck better.
Can't wait to find out which cells are busted on mine.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Oh and please can someone remind me whether it is best to spy at full half or very low battery charge levels.
I mean who am I kidding I'm obviously going to try it at all of the above but just wanted to know whether a fully charged car would give strange or misleading results.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,139 Posts
Can't wait to find out which cells are busted on mine.
Define busted. What does acceptable look like?
I'm a middle aged man who really should know the feck better.
Quite. Only yesterday you were complaining that you couldn't reduce the level of charge fast enough! :p Sadly I'm the same though. ;)
Oh and please can someone remind me whether it is best to spy at full half or very low battery charge levels.
It depends on what your fault is, but generally at low SoC.

21 - 40 of 107 Posts