Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
41 - 60 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
1,121 Posts
Oh I was just thinking about scorzons obd reader must be due by now! I cannot wait to see how it’s looking!

yes that car will be going on holiday to Gateshead!!!!! Luckily Gateshead arrange transport so turn around is 72 hours they told me up there so about week and it will be back.

@Scorzon if it’s a weak cell it will show at any state of charge, but with the results you have been getting I don’t think anythings wrong, you seem to have an excellent battery if your flooring it and still able to get 1 mile per 1%

Reactions: dk6780

·
Registered
363 Posts
That's just it DK, when the charge is high I can't get it down quickly even driving like a lunatic but as it falls, it does so more and more quickly. Thus first 1/3 of battery charge can give me 45 miles driven with modest care on the motorway, next 1/3 might give me 35 miles and final 1/3 nearer 25.

Might be the nature of the beast given it seems to use the worst cell.

Anyway me saying busted is just expectation management :rolleyes:

Acceptable is like love. Hard to define but you kinda know it when you see it. And I know that stressing about battery health is a bit like holding your cat's front paws and making it dance on its hind legs. You know it's wrong but you just can't help doing it.

·
Registered
363 Posts
@Scorzon if it’s a weak cell it will show at any state of charge, but with the results you have been getting I don’t think anythings wrong, you seem to have an excellent battery if your flooring it and still able to get 1 mile per 1%
Cheers John. I get just over 1 mile per 1% battery when driven very modestly. I got to 105 when the lines appeared on the GoM/charge meter. Though I get that a steady 60 isn't optimum it was still showing 4.3 per kWh.
I know I am certainly likely possibly stressing over nothing, we shall see. 8 minutes until earliest arrival time of OBD.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,062 Posts
I also got the weak cells warning!

To put the 177 mV in context, the cells operate in a range from 3.75 to 4.2 volts so 425 mV, so reducing that by 177 is very significant.
Your defective cell is one of the rear vertically mounted ones on the right of this picture - they tend to be the hottest.

There's more in the article that picture came from:
69. INSIDE THE BATTERY OF A NISSAN LEAF - Qnovo

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,062 Posts
Might be the nature of the beast given it seems to use the worst cell.

Anyway me saying busted is just expectation management :rolleyes:
Good summary.

20-30mV cell difference is normal, its when it gets vast like @Evil Doctor T or @JohnMars cars there's an issue.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
1,121 Posts
bit like holding your cat's front paws and making it dance on its hind legs. You know it's wrong but you just can't help doing it.
oh are you saying I need to stop doing this?

Reactions: Scorzon and dk6780

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
1,121 Posts
Cheers John. I get just over 1 mile per 1% battery when driven very modestly. I got to 105 when the lines appeared on the GoM/charge meter. Though I get that a steady 60 isn't optimum it was still showing 4.3 per kWh.
I know I am certainly likely possibly stressing over nothing, we shall see. 8 minutes until earliest arrival time of OBD.
105 miles at a steady 60 in a 3 year old car is a pretty good battery I’d say!

Reactions: Scorzon

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
1,121 Posts
Drums fingers...

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,062 Posts
105 miles at a steady 60 in a 3 year old car is a pretty good battery I’d say!
Man Maths warning! :rolleyes:
105/4.3/0.93=26.25kWh
(Miles/Miles per kWh/% of battery used)
Not bad for a car that started with 27.5kWh.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Man Maths warning! :rolleyes:
105/4.3/0.93=26.25kwh
Not bad for a car that started with 27.5kWh.
Hang on I thought the useable battery was 27.5!

Edit: Oops I had that wrong, I thought it was 28kwh but accidentally repeated back to you what you said☺ No honestly I had done that calculation and I did realise it looked fairly decent.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,062 Posts
The LEAF doesn't reserve any of its battery, and the LEAF30 started with only 27.5kWh. I'd be well happy to have that at 3YO, about a 5% loss.
However it was all subject to lots of rounded figures.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
1,121 Posts
I've only got 25.5KW :cry::cry::cry:

Reactions: Scorzon

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
1,121 Posts
GET IT IN!

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
1,121 Posts
Im concerned that we are all middle aged professionals , some fathers, and yet we are acting like children at Christmas over our cars!

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,062 Posts
So in pretty good condition, but I suspect a dead heat with @JohnMars overall. :devilish:

Next time you have run it right down a discharged view would be interesting. :unsure: Clearly there is nothing wrong at the top end with only 10mV difference - what would @Evil Doctor T give for that? :unsure:

Just so that you are aware - you have the screenprints showing your VIN - either turn the option off or blank them out when posting. :whistle:

@JohnMars - show us yours now they have settled down. (Reading that back I could be about to banned from the Forum :eek::eek:)

41 - 60 of 107 Posts