Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it appears that I'm getting condensation on the inside of both my tail lights. This has happened before but with just the passenger side tail light back in mid 2020. A mobile service came round to replace the light, which fixed the issue but now it's happening again, this time to both lights. I booked a mobile service but they're refusing to replace them and are claiming that it's perfectly normal and all cars have the same issue, which is a load of rubbish if you ask me. My partner's car doesn't have this issue, nor did any of the cars that I have previously owned.

Just wondering if anyone else is having this issue with their Model 3 and if you've also been fobbed off by Tesla. Did you manage to find a way around it or did you argue your case and how successful were you?

Can this cause long term damage to the lights?

·
Registered
182 Posts
My car is in the SC waiting for a new headlight for the same problem. They claim that a certain amount of misting is expected (why?) but if the droplets start to run they replace it. It appears to be a common problem and I assume it's down to poor quality control when the units are being manufactured. I'll attach some photos of my 4 week old car.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,612 Posts
I get misting too but it clears. It happens when the temperature drops suddenly, a sunny winters day and then the car goes into the shade, or the sun stops reaching the car, where it is colder.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I also get condensation affecting the passenger side B pillar camera causing frequent error messages.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Condensation in headlights is common in a lot of cars that I’ve seen, VWs and Mercedes recently that I can remember.
Tail lights less so...

a relative took delivery of a 2021 Model 3 recently and nothing in the lights but B pillar cameras both blocked by condensation the whole first drive (about 90mins) and autopilot disabled accordingly... since then they have cleared but not sure what will happen on another drive - a while to wait to figure that out!!

·
Registered
182 Posts
If you watch the YouTube video posted above it shows that the B pillar cameras are now linked to the ventilation system

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I find it rather odd that they would say it's perfectly normal and within tolerance when clearly it's a fault caused by poor welding of the plastic as per the video. But it is what it is I suppose. I'll just do what the guy did in the video to seal up any holes, hopefully that will fix the problem.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The issue comes if it gets into the bulb connections. I was behind a performance a while ago that would have been under 7 months old, with a rear bulb that was blown. Tesla can call that a consumable, but to fail after 7 months would really bother me

1 - 11 of 11 Posts