Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else receiving a lot of warning messages about "Conditional Speed Limit Detected"? It appears in a box in the dashboard info panel, with a yellow warning triangle. And a bong!

I can't find an explicit reference to this message in the manual, but I think that it is meant to appear when the car sees a normal speed limit sign with an accompanying text message (e.g. concerning school hours or the like). But all the messages I am receiving are false positives.

The messages are mainly coming up when approaching complex junctions/roundabouts with a plethora of signage (especially here in Wales). I assume the image recognition software is being overwhelmed. I think it has responded to a speed limit on a lorry once, and it has definitely responded to one sign which has a speed camera warning below (the icon of a VERY old fashioned camera...) But not every time we have passed it.

This is irritating and distracting. Tthe only way I can think of stopping it is to switch off speed limit detection. Is this possible? And, if so, how?

I would be perfectly happy to disable this function when driving in my local patch, as I know the local limits. Also I have encountered other problems with it responding to temporary limits on a motorway slip road. I drove 40 miles down a motorway on Sunday with a 40mph limit displayed on the dash because it spotted a temporary sign at some roadworks on a slip road. I understand what happened, but the functionality is a tad unreliable.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,172 Posts
Also I have encountered other problems with it responding to temporary limits on a motorway slip road.
We've had this one a few times as we pass under the M6 at the A500 roundabout as the M6 is being 'smarted' just there.

I had one today in town for no reason I could figure.

·
Registered
221 Posts
We're also finding this very annoying - particularly the double-bong just when you don't need it (often in complex junctions, as has already been mentioned). I really like the functionality of the "intelligent speed assist" but it's currently showing worrying inaccuracies - the most annoying is not being able to distinguish between national speed limit on single-carriageway roads vs. dual carriageways and motorways. I have to disable it on 70mph stretches, as it still thinks "national speed limit" is 60!

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
We're also finding this very annoying - particularly the double-bong just when you don't need it (often in complex junctions, as has already been mentioned). I really like the functionality of the "intelligent speed assist" but it's currently showing worrying inaccuracies - the most annoying is not being able to distinguish between national speed limit on single-carriageway roads vs. dual carriageways and motorways. I have to disable it on 70mph stretches, as it still thinks "national speed limit" is 60!
Another annoying "Bong" and warning, to tell you what you already know !.
A just stupid amount of warning's that treats the driver like a complete moron.
An insult to the drivers intelligence.
MG get rid of them - please !.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
there's a load of averaging speed cameras on the A14 near Cambridge, and they set off that conditional speed warning. I would guess they're programmed into the map.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can I refer to to page 40 of the manual....
I think that refers to the little warning triangle that I have seen appear after one of these big warnings and that persists until a "clear" speed limit is detected. I wouldn't mind that - it's useful information. It's the very urgent double bong and big warning box that bothers me, especially since it preferentially appears at times of high workload and high risk. And is spurious! I'm conscious that, in a modern day version of Pavlov's experiment, I am steadily being "trained" to ignore warning boxes, which is not good thing in general.:(

there's a load of averaging speed cameras on the A14 near Cambridge, and they set off that conditional speed warning. I would guess they're programmed into the map.
I don't think these warnings are coming from the map. The speed limit displayed on the infotainment/satnav screen is presumably coming from the map, but the speed limit displayed on the dashboard is from a camera looking for signs. (I have hardly switched the satnav on yet - I'm still relying on my trusty old Garmin until I have a chance to check the built-in satnav out.)

Anyway, at least I'm not alone. I'm assuming no-one knows how to switch speed limit detection off? I'd be perfectly happy to do without it locally.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have noticed it seems to only do this to me if there is another sign on the post that has the speed limit sign on it and the system doesn't know what it means so it says the speed limit could be conditional?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Motorway roundabouts, entering a smart motorway section and variable limits outside of schools are the only time I see it.

In terms of being desensitised to warnings. To me the bongs are an FYI. The real urgent stuff comes from the higher pitched beeping such as forward collision warnings.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have noticed it seems to only do this to me if there is another sign on the post that has the speed limit sign on it and the system doesn't know what it means so it says the speed limit could be conditional?
That's the design behaviour. But I've only been able to identify one location where that has happened and it was a camera icon not text. I seem to be having these messages far more often. Perhaps as I repeat journeys I may be able to spot what has triggered them, but I've had no luck so far.
In terms of being desensitised to warnings. To me the bongs are an FYI. The real urgent stuff comes from the higher pitched beeping such as forward collision warnings.
Ah, I've never had one of those. Slow down, my man… ;) Seriously, is that the same sound as the lane departure warning, or something else again?

·
Zoe Devotee
9,114 Posts
Found a nice feature in the satnav, where the nav can tell you if your speeding.... its just like having the wife in the car.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Found a nice feature in the satnav, where the nav can tell you if your speeding.... its just like having the wife in the car.
The graphic display in the centre of the driver display does the same. Problem with that is it thinks the national speed limit is 60mph in the UK, even on MWay and Dual Carriageway.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Ah, I've never had one of those. Slow down, my man… ;) Seriously, is that the same sound as the lane departure warning, or something else again?
Much louder and higher pitched than the bongs. I did need it earlier when a taxi slammed on the anchors in the middle of the street.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,114 Posts
Problem with that is it thinks the national speed limit is 60mph in the UK, even on MWay and Dual Carriageway.
I've seen the white circle/black slice national speed limit sign plenty of times, its never nagged I've been doing more than 60mph in a 70 zone. Have you updated the satnav?

·
Registered
276 Posts
I've seen the white circle/black slice national speed limit sign plenty of times, its never nagged I've been doing more than 60mph in a 70 zone. Have you updated the satnav?
It is a known fault and the manual states that 60mph is the national speed limit in the UK.

It flashes when you exceed the speed limit. Same with the other speed limit indicators, eg. 30mph.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,114 Posts
It is a known fault and the manual states that 60mph is the national speed limit in the UK.

It flashes when you exceed the speed limit. Same with the other speed limit indicators, eg. 30mph.
Ok, ignoring the manual for a moment. What am I likely to see in the car? I see 30mph showing in 30 zones and it doesn't flash unless I go over 30mph in those zones, I thought that was correct, as in by design. Flashes when you go over?

national speed limit on A roads in 60mph unless dual carriageway? I see the national speed limit sigh on A roads, single and dual carriageway and motorway and it doesn't flash if i'm at 70mph or less.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Ok, ignoring the manual for a moment. What am I likely to see in the car? I see 30mph showing in 30 zones and it doesn't flash unless I go over 30mph in those zones, I thought that was correct, as in by design. Flashes when you go over?

national speed limit on A roads in 60mph unless dual carriageway? I see the national speed limit sigh on A roads, single and dual carriageway and motorway and it doesn't flash if i'm at 70mph or less.
On Dual Carriageway, mine flashes when above 60MPH. It shows the white circle with bar through for National Speed Limit.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,114 Posts
On Dual Carriageway, mine flashes when above 60MPH. It shows the white circle with bar through for National Speed Limit.
Ok, I'll see what my car does tonight. (y)

Reactions: John Weatherley
1 - 20 of 29 Posts