Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, first confession is that actually, I'm still an ID.3 fanboi! :D But I am now a former ID.3 owner.

I've posted elsewhere that a combination of deciding to sell my motorbike and my ID.3 being worth more than I bought it for new due to these crazy times (and thanks to motorway.co.uk!) have motivated me to use the proceeds from selling them both to buy a Tesla Model 3 Long Range. But this is in no way a sign that I didn't like my ID.3. In fact, even though I only owned it a short time I already know it is one of the cars I've owned that I will look back on most fondly. I've had a great time with my ID.3, and with chatting with you all on this sub-forum so thought I'd post my final thoughts on the ID.3 and some of the things I'll miss.
  • The exterior design - I know not everyone agrees, but I still think the ID.3 with the Andoya alloys is a seriously cool looking car. From some angles, better looking than the Tesla I'm replacing it with I think. I found myself glancing back admiringly at it as I walked away from it in car parks more than I should probably admit!
  • The lighting - the ID.3 gets a lot of flak for supposedly cheap interior materials (more on this below), but I really do not personally believe that the car feels 'cheap' and the futuristic and cool lighting has a lot to do with that. The exterior lighting with the 'light show' as you approach, interior ambient lighting and ID.Light add a real sense of occasion to the car. Almost every time I've had a new passenger in my car I've had an "oooh... this is so fancy!" reaction to all these things. I have never had a "the door trims don't feel soft enough" reaction.
  • Wireless Apple CarPlay - I realise this isn't unique to the ID.3, but I do think that (after initial issues with the early software) VW have implemented it really well. It connects quickly each time and I rarely used very much in the VW factory infotainment at all. Besides charging and trip information in the vehicle menu, I did everything with CarPlay. Opinions on the VW factory infotainment I know vary, but the reality for me is, I never really used it anyway.
  • Haptic steering wheel touch controls - I realise that in saying this I will never achieve my lifelong dream to be a YouTube car reviewer when I grow up (like, comment, subscribe guys!), but I really liked the steering wheel controls. They look more modern, they're more functional as you can swipe or press, I always knew when I pressed them just as I would a button due to the haptics, and I never pressed them by accident even though this apparently plagues YouTube reviewers.
  • Volume and temperature touch sliders - ditto. They worked great for me. I genuinely believe the volume control in particular is quicker and easier to use than an old fashioned volume knob. Though, yes, it would have been nice if VW had added backlighting to them!
  • Electric window switches - reducing the number of switches and allowing you to toggle between rear and front is - I'm sorry YouTube reviewers - just smart. It looks more minimalist, and you never accidentally roll down the rear windows when you meant to roll down the front. It is just a good idea. Sorry, but it is.
  • The interior design - again, this wouldn't go down well on YouTube, but it's fine. VW clearly went for minimalism, and the truth is that if you like minimalism you'll probably like it. If you like more old-fashioned, traditional luxury car interior design you will not. Some of the materials are hard plastics where in the past you might have found soft plastics, I admit. But VW isn't alone in this - every YouTube review of a brand new car seems to have the reviewer tapping at plastics and moaning about how things were better in the good old days. I can't say it ever bothered me though, all the bits I ever touched were soft touch. Also, see next...
  • The price - somehow (not wasting money on unnecessary soft touch plastics perhaps?) VW have managed to price these incredibly competitively for what you get. The ID.3 has impressive range, great tech, and a desirable badge (not important to me, but doesn't hurt the residuals I expect!) all while often undercutting rivals in price. When it comes to value for money, the ID.3 is very very hard to beat I believe.
Then there's something that I probably should say I'll miss, but I actually won't,
  • Matrix headlights - I know most of you like them and have good experiences, but once I got past the party trick "look! it blanks out the beam!" initial excitement I found the reality annoying. I would be constantly flashed by oncoming traffic in them, and I understand why now. I had an ID.3 with matrix headlights drive past me recently and it is a strange experience. On the one hand, you aren't actually being dazzled by them; but on the other hand they still look strangely bright, and give the impression that the driver just hasn't dipped their headlights. In a split second moment, I can understand why drivers of other vehicles might not understand what is going on and flash you. Any benefit in visibility I got from having the sides of the road lit up all the time despite oncoming traffic were undermined by me being blinded by annoyed drivers flashing me. Perhaps when this technology is more common people will get used to it and this will stop happening, but for now, I found it annoying in reality.
And a few things that I really won't miss. But no car is perfect, and my inclusion of these does not alter my opinion that the ID.3 is a fantastic car overall,
  • The app - it's rubbish. In fact, it is so rubbish that it has fewer features than the old e-Golf app. Yes, some app commands do apply themselves quite quickly (faster than in the e-Golf), but others seemingly take forever, and getting confirmation back to the app that the command has worked is glacially slow at best. I had some sympathy at first with the "it's a brand new car, we'll work to improve the app" schtick, but come on... it has been coming on for 2 years now. VW must have the slowest smartphone app developers in the world.
  • Travel Assist only on top trims - autonomous lane-centring is pretty common now on cars in the ID.3's price range, often on all trims or all but the very lowest trims. You have to spend a lot of money on the ID.3 to get this feature. Yes, rumours that you might be able to add it via a paid software update one day, but until this is confirmed and available I stand by my view that this is a bit mean of them.
  • No rear speakers on most trims - come on, you knew I'd get to this eventually in this post didn't you! Notwithstanding my earlier point about VW managing to find ways to price the car competitively, I do still think this is mean of them. I might forgive them for it if they offered an official path to upgrade the sound system while preserving your warranty but they don't. You shouldn't have to step up to the very highest trim levels to get rear speakers. Sorry, but not changing my mind on this! While we're at it, I believe there still isn't a premium audio option that includes a subwoofer last time I checked? That is rather a miss compared with competing cars I would say!
Finally, a couple of things you may be expecting me to criticise but I won't,
  • Reliability - some who have been on this sub forum a while might remember that I was extremely disgruntled with the early software of the car, and the amount of time it spent sat at the dealer with them trying to figure it out. For my first couple of months, I spent more time in a petrol Golf courtesy car than I did the ID.3. I was so disgruntled that I almost rejected it. However, I always believed it was possible that VW might sort the software out and the car might become dependable and, for me, they did it just in time. Once my 2.1 update was finally completed, and now that I've had the 2.3 update for a while the car has been bullet proof. I'm honestly not sure I've had a single glitch that I can remember. I've had an occasional false alarm of the alarm system, but that's hardly unique to the ID.3. So I think for anyone buying an ID.3 now, with the current software, my experience is that you'll find it very dependable!
  • Software update process - it didn't go well, did it? I think it is fair to say that VW's first OTA software update was a bit clunky, though I think most of us got there in the end. I'm not going to criticise them heavily though because it was their first time. I do believe that this will get better over time as VW refine it.
And I think that's me, over and out! I'm still a member of SpeakEV so you'll still see me around, and I'll probably pop back on the ID.3 sub-forum from time to time if something takes my interest, but I probably won't be a regular poster on it anymore now that I don't have the car.

Thank you all for your advice, and good humour while I've been a regular poster here. There is a cracking bunch of people on this sub-forum, and it is honestly one of the best forums I've ever been a member of. My parting hope is that wherever your ID.3 takes you, when you notice a lack of audio presence from the rear of the car, you will think of me ;) Enjoy your ID.3s everyone, you all own a fantastic, excellent car and you're all very lucky!

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
8,384 Posts
Hey, you’re not going anywhere buddy!

For a start, you’ve still got a crossbreed VW M.3 waiting for you here, it’s been reserved for a while now, just needs you to pay the balance. It’s fully vaccinated and ready to go.

I agree with pretty much everything you just wrote, it‘s overall a great EV, with a few things that could be done better.

A bit like the Tesla actually. Todays Tooks/Wife interaction;

Wife; The door mirrors didn’t defrost on the school run this morning, they must be faulty.

Tooks; No, they defintely have heaters, they defrosted for me the other morning.

Wife; Well, didn’t for me this morning, are you calling me an idiot?

Tooks; You’ve ruined my life you fat evil cow No darling, of course not, I’ll just Google it.

Wife; Thanks.

Tooks; Ah ok, says here you need to turn on the rear screen heater to heat the mirrors. Did you try that?

Wife; No, of course I didn’t try turning on one thing to turn on another thing, why would I?

Tooks; Fair point. Coffee my sweet?

Whisper it, but I’m quite a fan of both the ID.3 and the M3, I’d be happy having either as the only car.

Enjoy your M3 when it arrives. 👍😁

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, you’re not going anywhere buddy!

For a start, you’ve still got a crossbreed VW M.3 waiting for you here, it’s been reserved for a while now, just needs you to pay the balance. It’s fully vaccinated and ready to go.

I agree with pretty much everything you just wrote, it‘s overall a great EV, with a few things that could be done better.

A bit like the Tesla actually. Todays Tooks/Wife interaction;

Wife; The door mirrors didn’t defrost on the school run this morning, they must be faulty.

Tooks; No, they defintely have heaters, they defrosted for me the other morning.

Wife; Well, didn’t for me this morning, are you calling me an idiot?

Tooks; You’ve ruined my life you fat evil cow No darling, of course not, I’ll just Google it.

Wife; Thanks.

Tooks; Ah ok, says here you need to turn on the rear screen heater to heat the mirrors. Did you try that?

Wife; No, of course I didn’t try turning on one thing to turn on another thing, why would I?

Tooks; Fair point. Coffee my sweet?

Whisper it, but I’m quite a fan of both the ID.3 and the M3, I’d be happy having either as the only car.

Enjoy your M3 when it arrives. 👍😁
Haha... thanks! As I say, it won't be the last you'll hear of me on SpeakEV overall at the very least!

I must say, having spent the last few weeks reading through Tesla forums I did think about you a few times, and your posts to point out that no car is quirk/glitch free: "my Tesla, for example..." :) It sounds like I will experience at least as many strange, weird and wonderful software decisions/bugs in my Tesla as I ever did in my ID.3. That's ok though, will be familiarly nostalgic and comforting for me now! And it is indeed a little hard to fault your wife's logic there isn't it! :ROFLMAO:

On the crossbreed, I need more information on whether it's rear speaker provision takes after one parent or the other before I commit...

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
8,384 Posts
On the crossbreed, I need more information on whether it's rear speaker provision takes after one parent or the other before I commit...
Hey, bit late to back out now!

Like a lot of cross breeds, it’s enthusiastic, loveable but has a few issues.

I can confirm that the VW M.3 definitely has a full compliment of rear speakers, and a good woofer, but unfortunately it is missing front speakers…

·
Registered
637 Posts
I'd echo pretty much everything, with the exception of the matrix lights comments. The vast majority of my night time driving is on unlit country lanes and A-roads & the matrix lights really do make a lot of difference. I've never been flashed while using them either...

I have been toying with the idea of cashing in & switching to either a Model 3 or a Polestar 2, but in all honesty I don't do enough mileage to warrant spending that much more on a car. It would be a frivolous purchase just because I can rather than actually needing to. I really can't complain about the ID.3 any more, with the obvious exception of the outrageously bad software and its update processes.

I do still have an order in for a Kings Red Family with the Assistance Pack Plus (area view, traffic assist, park assist etc). I'm considering even cancelling that & just keeping my 1st Edition, but there's plenty of time to think about it. I'll see what mine is worth a bit nearer the time. No idea when it's likely to be built, it seems the lead times are approaching 12 months or more at the moment.

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life 58kWh
576 Posts
We'll miss tagging you in every thread where someone mentions the speakers! Got to say I've been tempted by the seemingly ever increase part ex price on mine but I keep thinking there is nothing I could replace it with that would match it and the fantastic VW residuals, apart from maybe a Model 3 but the missus won't have one of those, ever, period.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I too considered a LR but the backseat space and low driving position has ultimately put me off, my kids wouldn’t thank me, twelve and fifteen, so more adults than kids really. The Y is just too much money and every review I’ve read comments on the harsh ride.

I am now considering a Polestar 2 AWD as this is also on the list of company cars I can select from but me being me I’ll probably end up keeping the ID. 😁

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,987 Posts
I'm growing to like my ID3 and not sure I'm ready to replace it just yet.
I was looking at the price to sell but the only thing I would replace it with is the Seat and there's no mention of matrix headlights on the website.
I really like them and rarely get flashed. They don't detect lorries on the opposite carriageway where there's a central reservation barrier in the way of the lorries lights so I need to manually dip then but other than that I rarely have a problem.

I still get software glitches though but it's small things and easily sorted or ignored.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It’s a way of saving £4-8k on the price depending when you got your id3!!
Yep, strong residuals on both the ID.3 and the Tesla are certainly part of the thinking here! I didn't make that much profit on my ID.3 (I bought mine slightly after the really cheap ones at the beginning), but I did make some profit. The present situation won't last forever, so thought I would take advantage. And the Teslas seem to have held their value over time well too, so I figure if in a year I decide I don't like the Tesla, or that I regret spending so much money on a car, I can sell it again without losing too much.

·
Registered
ID3 1st Edition in Glacier White
696 Posts
The only things we get irritated by on the ID3 is short range winter performance and the cabin heater which we find hungry and fiddly to get ‘just right’. Both hopefully will be addressed in v3.0.
We like pretty much everything else about the car.
It’s very likely we will get a new one in 2023.
The only other car taking my interest is the new look 2023 eNiro, but there are few technical details at the moment.
I personally just can’t be doing with Musk or Tesla. But each to their own and I welcome any EV’s.

·
Registered
Seat Ibiza- contemplating an ID.3
185 Posts
I test drove the Polestar before Christmas, and I found the single motor version to be slightly sluggish. Not properly sluggish - but the ID.3 felt a touch quicker. Felt more like the 1st Edition ID.4 I've driven.
The dual motor though.... that was great.
My current plan is to ditch my Ibiza next month, get an ID.3 through Onto, and then a Polestar 2 DM through the NHS car scheme when I get accepted onto GP training (being confident here!)
The Ibiza is one of the least polluting ICE cars out there... but I still feel incredibly guilty and I don't want to continue driving 70+ miles a day in a ICE car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts